return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Turn a 700MB file into a 100MB file
View this Thread in Original format
Blue.
I've seen compression that can do that but I don't know any programs that do it. I've gotten games that were zipped and like 100MB and unzipped the contents were like 700MB. Programs liek WINRAR can only shave a few MB's off of it after RAR'd but I need a program that I can make 1 RAR/ZIP/EXE file that will be like half the size of the files or at least have amazing compression. Wether I have to span it into like 3 or 4 RARs I need a compression program that will ZIP/RAR/EXE a file and make it a lot smaller.
TiestoInTheMix
it all depends on the type and the size of the file.

the games were so compressed because there were a lot of little files that were either text or executables. if you wanna compress mp3/video, then forget about it. a 7:1 ratio does not exist... so far it's about 1.0001:1
Blue.
quote:
Originally posted by TiestoInTheMix
it all depends on the type and the size of the file.

the games were so compressed because there were a lot of little files that were either text or executables.

No it was a single BIN file in a single ZIP archive.
PatMcGroin
quote:
Originally posted by trance_n_dance

No it was a single BIN file in a single ZIP archive.

i'm sorry, but thats bull. don't you think we would be taking advantage of that if it was possible??? now...onto my traditional *slap*

. :rolleyes:
KilldaDJ
BIN is a raw cd image, of course they can do that
ive seen a psx bootdisc that was like 48mb and comp'd down to like 1mb
not bad i suppose...
LiquidKernel
quote:
Originally posted by KilldaDJ
BIN is a raw cd image, of course they can do that
ive seen a psx bootdisc that was like 48mb and comp'd down to like 1mb
not bad i suppose...

That most likely because the rest of BIN has empty sectors. Hence the ZIP compression was able to save up the repeated null characters.
Durafei
Compression ratio depends just as much on the type of the fyle to be compressed as it does on the program you use to compress the file.
You can often get 7-1 ratio on text files, executable files and such but not on file formats like jpg, mpg, gif, mp3 and other types of media. That is because files in these file formats are already compressed. There is nothing left to compress there :)

In case you are interested, zip compression is working using Lempel-Ziv algorithm. Basically it works by finding many possible repeated subsequences and substituting them by shorter subsequences.
Here is the animation of how it works:
http://www.data-compression.com/lempelziv.html
Blue.
O.K can someone please actually post something that helps me and help my problem.I'm looking for a program that compresses files to become as small as possible. If nobody knows the one that cuts the size in half then tell me one you know that is good.

quote:
i'm sorry, but thats bull. don't you think we would be taking advantage of that if it was possible??? now...onto my traditional *slap*

And why exactly would I lie about something like that? I'm trying to get people to help me not to piss people off. It's obviously possible if I've seen it done and I'm not gonna lie about something since the whole topic is me looking for that program or one thats good at archiving.
jploveparade
I like Irish beer and women. Does that count?
Durafei
WinRar - absolutely the best!

RenderedDream
well both winace and winrar compress @ 4096k dictionary.. so any of these are good
k.k.d.
Modern compressing algorithms (zip, rar, etc) basicly use the multi-passing hoffman algorithm to compress... You can't expect it working miracles... You can't really compess video or audio much beyond the standard formats you find on the net since they are already "compressed". Recompressing a comrpessed forman is almost useless... It can shave off few kb though, but it's useful only if you can;'t fir a 705 meg file on a 703 meg cd.. On the other hand, some non-compressed data (such as long text files with few distinguished characters/patterns) is very compressable: from 40% to 80%, in fact.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement