return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Is red food colouring technically a stimulant?
View this Thread in Original format
Darkarbiter
So I was just thinking about some things, and under the assumptions that:
Looking at it from a chemical point of view
Since both vitamins and drugs are catalysts
Vitamins are just drugs that occur naturally in our cavemen days diet

Since little kids (and some grown ups) go spazz on red food colouring when they have it.

This technically makes red food colouring a stimulent in the same way that caffiene is.

Are there any errors in this logic?
Redd
Stimulant
Darkarbiter
quote:
Originally posted by Redd
Stimulant

Good point.
Lunar Phase 7
What contains this magic elixir?
Darkarbiter
quote:
Originally posted by Lunar Phase 7
What contains this magic elixir?

Lots of drinks in Melbourne Australia here.

It's a widely circulated urban legend (and a correct one, I know I feel slightly different on red food colouring, but it's worth noting that certain things either effect youths a lot more or a lot less than adults... alcohol actually effects youths less at the same dose for instance)

I think it might be carmine. Although honestly google isn't much help, I'll need to walk down the street some time in the next few days (probably should've done that before making this thread) and read the ingredients list of something that obviously has it in it.
Lunar Phase 7
quote:
Originally posted by Darkarbiter
Lots of drinks in Melbourne Australia here.

It's a widely circulated urban legend (and a correct one, I know I feel slightly different on red food colouring, but it's worth noting that certain things either effect youths a lot more or a lot less than adults... alcohol actually effects youths less at the same dose for instance)

I think it might be carmine. Although honestly google isn't much help, I'll need to walk down the street some time in the next few days (probably should've done that before making this thread) and read the ingredients list of something that obviously has it in it.

There was a really cool show on BBC some time ago about food additives, and it basically changed my entire perspective on them. Apparently they are literally harmless and almost all completely natural.

Then I read Aspartameis link to mental health issues, which was worrying.

It is a mine field theses days.

The show was called "E Numbers: an Edible Adventure" if you can find it (there were a few episodes) it's well worth a watch.
KilldaDJ
it stimulates the visuals so literally it does.
VAR
Halcyon+On+On
http://www.cracked.com/article_1598...aten-today.html
Darkarbiter
quote:
Originally posted by Lunar Phase 7
There was a really cool show on BBC some time ago about food additives, and it basically changed my entire perspective on them. Apparently they are literally harmless and almost all completely natural.

Then I read Aspartameis link to mental health issues, which was worrying.

It is a mine field theses days.

The show was called "E Numbers: an Edible Adventure" if you can find it (there were a few episodes) it's well worth a watch.

Well, I think it's similar to any debate on chemicals (see drugs)

There's the hippies (pro drug lobby) and the new age hippies (who are obviously part of the anti drug lobby... and who are heavily influenced by the hari krishnas... who are basically a syncretic cross between christianity and hinduism)

For obvious reasons, the pro drug lobby gets a lot of unfounded slander.

So yeh, a documentary slanted the right way can change your opinion on anything. Rely on your own limited knowledge on a subject, and if 1/4 of a documentary's "facts" are wrong (based on reasons you 100% know are true) then I'd start worrying about the rest.

Dyes are chemicals, vitamins are chemicals, drugs are chemicals (chemically speaking catalysts)

So yeh, trust me, there's a reason why the anti drug lobby (especially the ones against alcohol as well) find they have a lot in common with the new age hippies.

However, I wouldn't go basing your life view upon them, especially if you enjoy the effects of any drugs (caffiene and alcohol definitely count), and if you're a theology student who believes faith is above all reason and you hate all drugs(including alcohol and caffiene), well that's a consistent view... but you're a "puritan"(lets be honest here) and I ing hate you (not saying you as in the quoted person thinks this, but anyone who thinks that I do).

There's even a thing in the hippie scene where new agers actually get called puritans because they're so cocky (especially the angry militant vegetarians).

I highly recommend anyone downloads (or buys if you watch it more than once) the documentary "DMT the spirit molecule" you can find on the pirate bay.

It's a pretty good picture of both the good and the bad sides of drugs, but most of all what psychiatry is really like.

The on youtube is fake, it's not the one I'm talking about, (although some of the stuff labelled that is about dmt)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement