return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Very Important Queston, Need An Answer!!!!!
View this Thread in Original format
MIKE333ACE
I use Fl Studio and I need to know the difference between fl studio and other programs like Logic or Pro Tools. I am curious wether;

A: There is a real big difference between them. and,

B: if Fl Studio is capable of creating proffesional sounding songs, (as in, if Armin vn Buuren used fl studio, could he still get the exact same sounding songs out of it??). I'm curious about this because in the end, it all comes down to whats in your head, but I'm wanting to know if the program I use can make a little difference.

Thanks, any help on this issue would be great. :)
Beatflux
quote:
Originally posted by MIKE333ACE
I use Fl Studio and I need to know the difference between fl studio and other programs like Logic or Pro Tools. I am curious wether;

B: if Fl Studio is capable of creating proffesional sounding songs, (as in, if Armin vn Buuren used fl studio, could he still get the exact same sounding songs out of it??). I'm curious about this because in the end, it all comes down to whats in your head, but I'm wanting to know if the program I use can make a little difference.

Thanks, any help on this issue would be great. :)

It's pretty much the same thing. If you suck, it won't be because FL is holding you back...
cryophonik
quote:

Yes, there are big and little differences between all DAWs. If they weren't different, the market would be much smaller. But, there are also many similarities and, at the end of the day, they are all just tools that facilitate getting from point A to point B. The important thing to remember is that "different" does not necessarily mean "better." You really need to ask more specific and pointed questions to get useful answers here.

quote:

Pick any song from an Armin CD and see if you can hear which DAW it was made in. Question answered.
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by Beatflux
If you suck, it won't be because FL is holding you back...

Exactly. It's like asking "if I buy Michael Jordan's shoes, will it make me a professional basketball player?"
MIKE333ACE
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Exactly. It's like asking "if I buy Michael Jordan's shoes, will it make me a professional basketball player?"

I'm happy with the quality of my music, I'm just wanting to know wether there is a difference in things like sound quality, performance, reliabilty, etc. I'm obviously not expecting any porgrams to make me better.
dj_alfi
There isn't. The only ones who'd say differently are noobs.
Storyteller
quote:
I'm happy with the quality of my music, I'm just wanting to know wether there is a difference in things like sound quality, performance, reliabilty, etc.

There are differences here and there. In terms of (audio) quality not so much (though some consider Cubase to sound less polished than Logic, I couldn't be bothered to even try and test it). But performance and reliability can be somewhat platform specific.

Ableton Live and Fruity loops / FLStudio have some performance issues, but as long as you haven't ran into any this really doesn't matter.

Reliability is of course really important. Just about any product has had dodgy times. Ableton, FL, Cubase. You name it. If I'm not mistaking most DAWs are pretty rock solid nowadays. Haven't heard much about it anymore in the past few years.

In the end none of this really matters as long as the DAW you use is appealing to you and works for you.
cryophonik
quote:
...wether there is a difference in things like sound quality, performance, reliabilty, etc. I'm obviously not expecting any porgrams to make me better.

Sound quality, no. Performance, depends on your definition. Reliability, see Storyteller's post.

One important point to keep in mind if you are considering going with Pro Tools is that it uses its own proprietary RTAS format for plugins and does not support VSTs or AUs, so you want to take stock of your existing plugins and see which ones are available in RTAS. The other option is to buy the FXpansion VST-RTAS wrapper ($99), which works OK for some plugins and not at all for others, or buy a sub-host (e.g., Reaper, Vienna Ensemble Pro) - any of these workarounds will allow you (with varying degrees of success) to use your VSTs in PT. However, it can get expensive and messy to go with workarounds very quickly, so consider your options very carefully before diving into Pro Tools. Personally, I love Pro Tools and it's overtaking Sonar as my go-to DAW. But, it's not for everybody, so don't get caught up in the hype about it being the "industry standard" - just do your homework and you'll be fine.

Another point regarding PT and performance - it is still a 32-bit application, so if you're on a 64-bit system, prepare to step backward in terms of performance, particularly if you use many samplers/ROMplers. 64-bit PT is apparently in the works, but Avid is one of the most secretive companies out there, so no telling when it will be released, or if it will be a free update to PT9, or a paid upgrade to PT10, etc.
Kysora
quote:
B: if Fl Studio is capable of creating proffesional sounding songs

Unless you're capable of creating professional-sounding mixes, this is a really silly question.

Even if the answer to your question above is no (which it isn't), what were you planning on doing? Getting something else that can be used to make good mixes? How does that help you?

You're your biggest limitation right now, so fix that first. Professional mixes are 10% tools and 90% experience, so it really doesn't matter what you use at this point. By the time you get the experience necessary, you'll know what tools you need to get those polished mixes.

It's like buying your first guitar and immediately asking "Will this make me sound like Jimi Hendrix?". You're skipping ahead quite a bit here.
Nick Cenik
This isn't a 'very important question'.

Vector A
One very important thought.
cl0ckw3rk
Try searching for studio insights from your favorite producers. I bet many of them have enough info out there so you can see exactly what they use. I'm sure after you get through the list, you'll be quite surprised to learn that it doesn't matter, so long as the program is compatible with your workflow. So long as your creativity flows freely and you're not terribly bogged down by this and that, you'll know that you're using the right software.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement