return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Stuck,in need of some advice
View this Thread in Original format
Targus28
So lately, im getting really stuck and frustrated with finding/creating the right sounds for my mixes.Right now im feeling im doing somthing fundamentally wrong, maybe over-thinking it, not putting in enough work, or somthing else im over-looking but im finding it tremendously difficult to find/create the sound im after, creating my own sounds, or even buying presets and trying to find it there.The majority aint the sound im after, and anything i try to make sounds nothing close to what im trying to achieve,tranparant, clean sounding melody, deep clean bass, easy on the ears and pleasant

Right now im expirimenting, using youtube to try to learn how to make sounds, and just going through loads and loads of prests trying to find somthing there, could anyone give me some advice, or maybe point out were im going wrong with trying to find the sound im after?Thank you in advance
targus28 is online now Edit/Delete Message
Julz
Practice Practice and then Practice some more. These problems are all experience based. Dont let your self be frustrated, just keep at it and sooner or later you will be capable in re creating the ideas in your head. But of course its not easy, just depends on how much effort you put in.

I recommend comparing your tracks with ones you "look up to".
Try analyse whats going on and where the sound is placed, learn panning, eq'ing and compression.

But 1 big thing i noticed is you need to be choosing the right sound, so it all fits in the mix nicely.

Goodluck!
Kysora
Don't spend too much time looking for a sound, your ears will get fatigued pretty fast and nothing will sound all that great. Also keep in mind the sounds you hear in finished tracks are mixed and blended with the rest of the elements, they might not sound much better than the sounds you have if you played them on their own, unprocessed.
Lucidity
quote:
Originally posted by Kysora
Don't spend too much time looking for a sound, your ears will get fatigued pretty fast and nothing will sound all that great. Also keep in mind the sounds you hear in finished tracks are mixed and blended with the rest of the elements, they might not sound much better than the sounds you have if you played them on their own, unprocessed.

+1
Richard Butler
OP - your post so chimes with me, but in the end for me the answer is just practice practice and slowly get better.

It helped me to realise that getting really competent at this is NO different to any other worthwhile Human endeavour we might aspire to.

Imagine yourself starting out in cooking and wanting to be a really good chef. It takes years and years working every day to be able to blend the right tastes. Why would music be any different?

Now here's the thing. Despite all having the same access to recipies, only a small proportion of cooks, become really top rated chefs, now why would that be.................

For me it's going to be down to the attitude and drive of the individual that forces them to find the answers rather than make do.

If it helps, something I'm only really just comming to grips with is not to rush things. I didn't realise I was rushing until now. For example; I would spend an evening lets say making one percy synth sound that acts as a sort of percy automated riser throughout the track and be keen to get it done there and then that night. But now I'm finding I come back to it next day and that one sound still needs a lot more work, a lot more and better automation decisions, so I am more prepared to just take time.

The point for me now is to enjoy this time consuming tweaking and not be always desperate to get to the end point.

I was on a film forum and noticed lots of amateur reviewers slating new films, but really praising the odd one.
The disliked films all had in common that they seemed rushed,slap dash and above all derivative. This derivative point I think is what makes many tracks seem boring - you've heard similar a thousand times before, whats new, whats interesting? Not saying I'm any better, I'm not, but I do like to at least try and think about not being cookie cutter derivative.

The liked films on the other hand seemed as if someone really spent time and love on the details.

Well see.......
Julz
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler

Imagine yourself starting out in cooking and wanting to be a really good chef.

You LOVE the chef analogies :D
sicc
quote:
Originally posted by Kysora

Couldn't agree more. I tend to write a verse, or a 8 bar loop, and then end up getting stuck there, and so I play it OVER AND OVER AND OVER trying to sense where it wants to go from there, and my ears get tired and it everything I produced starts to sound like , so keep moving forward, and just practice. You will never find that "perfect" sound, or atleast not for a long time, so just keep moving forward. Its not about ONE sound, its about the collection of sounds, how they interact and how the track moves.
meriter
quote:
Originally posted by Targus28

going through loads and loads of prests

Don't recommend this.

You using any hardware synths? These flashly new software synths make it kinda difficult to learn the basics, imo.
Targus28
quote:
Originally posted by meriter
Don't recommend this.

You using any hardware synths? These flashly new software synths make it kinda difficult to learn the basics, imo.

Exactly what i was thinking a few weeks back, i thought it would be MUCH easier to learn with the synth in my hand, can you recommend any budget good synths, around 250 pounds?
Beatflux
quote:
So lately, im getting really stuck and frustrated with finding/creating the right sounds for my mixes.Right now im feeling im doing somthing fundamentally wrong, maybe over-thinking it, not putting in enough work, or somthing else im over-looking but im finding it tremendously difficult to find/create the sound im after, creating my own sounds, or even buying presets and trying to find it there.The majority aint the sound im after, and anything i try to make sounds nothing close to what im trying to achieve,tranparant, clean sounding melody, deep clean bass, easy on the ears and pleasant

Right now im expirimenting, using youtube to try to learn how to make sounds, and just going through loads and loads of prests trying to find somthing there, could anyone give me some advice, or maybe point out were im going wrong with trying to find the sound im after?Thank you in advance
targus28 is online now Edit/Delete Message

Most pro sounds aren't going to be straight out of a subtractive synth. They will be layered, resampled and/or reprocessed with other plug ins.

I have a stupid amount of Sylenth 1 presets and not a single one sounds good enough on its own to put in a song, except for a white noise riser.

TranceLover007
quote:
Originally posted by sicc
Its not about ONE sound, its about the collection of sounds, how they interact and how the track moves.

That, +10

Cheers
mathieu
quote:
Exactly what i was thinking a few weeks back, i thought it would be MUCH easier to learn with the synth in my hand, can you recommend any budget good synths, around 250 pounds?

that's bull, you don't need a hardware synth to learn the basics. get TAL noisemaker or something else that's free and play with the knobs. You can get a hardware synth if you want but at 250 pounds itll be a waste because itll sound exactly like that 0 pound virtual synth i mentionned earlier lol
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement