return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Syncing audio to video, preferably within the Cubase environment.
View this Thread in Original format
tehlord
I'm still using Cubase 4 and importing a video channel and trying to do audio to the video is almost impossible.

Is this any easier with any subsequent versions of Cubase, or do I really need Nuendo?

All I really want to do is have the ability to see a relatively big video window, even if it's downgraded in quality a bit and lock into a particular frame for reference if i'm doing sound FX etc. I don't need quite that much accuracy for just music, but I'm guessing the ability to set up zones or scenes and markers for reminding me what goes where.

I'd rather use a DAW with video capability than a video editor with audio capability.
DJRAMM
nice
dj_alfi
I seem to remember having a couple of sound-to-video assignments while studying, and we used Cubase 4. or 5. It was in 2005-6ish..

Just look for the big grey button.
Richard Butler
quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
I'm still using Cubase 4 and importing a video channel and trying to do audio to the video is almost impossible.

Is this any easier with any subsequent versions of Cubase, or do I really need Nuendo?

All I really want to do is have the ability to see a relatively big video window, even if it's downgraded in quality a bit and lock into a particular frame for reference if i'm doing sound FX etc. I don't need quite that much accuracy for just music, but I'm guessing the ability to set up zones or scenes and markers for reminding me what goes where.

I'd rather use a DAW with video capability than a video editor with audio capability.

I have Cubase 5.5.1 and tried importing and making vid, a total mind fuk. It doesn't recognise all sorts of video file types. In the end I found a good free video editing software (you have to purchase after a few weeks) by NCH.

I'd still like to use Cubase so I could make vid and soundtrack in there together, but as yet haven't found a way to get Sony vid file types into Cubase. I suppose I could convert them n , but no time so far.

Keep in touch on this, I'm v interested.
tehlord
Yeah I can import video into Cubase 4, but it's virtually unusable as it's a) clunky as hell and b) just sits in a small preview window that I can't timeline. Which is virtually useless.

I'm suspecting Nuendo is what I might want but I don't really know. I want the same kind of video timeline as something like Vegas but within my DAW.
Lucidity
You can do it decently in Live, I mean the frames don't show on the timeline, but I just imported a .mov file and the audio from it shows up on the timeline and you can resize the picture to make it bigger, and although you don't see the frames on the timeline, you can watch the video and watch where the marker is on the timeline and put your own markers to know where u want to do sound effects, ect.

edit - I have no clue about Cubase or Nuendo, sorry if mentioning Live was irrelevant.
cryophonik
I have very limited experience working with video in a DAW, but I did a few projects years ago in Sonar and, if I understand your questions, I think that it may do what you're looking for. Of course, that means probably learning a whole new DAW (as opposed to upgrading to Nuendo, which is presumably an easier learning curve), but it's an option to consider.

More info:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SO...deo-in-SONAR-X1
Looney4Clooney
i'm a little confused why you aren't sending your master clock to both your audio workstation and your video work station. I'm assuming you at least have like a big ben or something by Antelope. Then on your video station, i'm assuming you have a dedicated hardware or at least a mac pro , run the video there to your projector.

anyways, '

With cubase, i think you need to timecode your video so that the info is now in the video and will sync with the internal time code, and do it that way, and do a timecode burn so you can see it.
DJ RANN
I've done a ton of this in PTHD and Logic but I personally haven't done it in cubase, although my boss used cubase for all score work. Then again, he had full machine rooms with house clock feed from several nanoclocks as the source, then big bens to convert and distribute.

IN your case there's a few things to watch out for.

1st cubase is ing fussy about format. .avi is really the only one that is truly stable.

2nd - don't use HD or even 720p. Down convert to a lower res as it will eat all your RAM and max out your CPU. Remember it's just picture reference.

Now, do the following:

1, Add video track and on your transport bar change the clock view to timecode.
2, now go to project menu > project setup and set the frame rate accordingly (probably 25fps for you if you're working with UK (PAL) video).
3, Import video and drag the file to bar 2 (you need some lead in for FX etc).
4, Now you have to correct the timecode as you're starting from bar 2 so set the cursor exactly on bar 2 then project menu > select “Set Timecode at Cursor and make sure it reads all zeros.
5, Got to devices > Select Video

Now you can add markers etc but you should have the preview video and the timecode all synced. you may want to disable thumbnails as you've got the full preview window now.

Oh, and I remember some problems depending on whether they were or were not using direct show. And make sure your soundcard buffer settings can accommodate the increased strain on the CPU.

let me know if you need more info.
Looney4Clooney
its really a good idea to imbed timecode in the video and burn the value. Hoenstly, with cubase that is how they do it. That way , the sync is guaranteed. I would do research regarding the format. Sometimes, compression makes can adde issues. Definately lower the quality as much as possible.

Honestly, if you have another device to play the video and use a spdif sync or something.

tehlord
Thanks ma homies.

I've just realised how fussy Cubase is as it won't allow me to add mp4 or .mov to the timeline :mad: Well, not Cubase 4 anyway. I suspect this is to keep Nuendo customers ready to spend moar money.

I really don't want to have to switch DAWs to do this but Nuendo is silly money (£1k +) so that's just not an option.

I could convert video to a format that Cubase will be happy with, create the audio and then fuse it all back together in Vegas, but that's not really a very streamlined solution.

I probably don't need ms accurate timing as I'm not going to be messing with dialogue, so perhaps I can futz it with Cubase for a while longer.
timbesamusca
I like working with video in Cubase, a very powerful feature is time warp, which makes it so easy to create tempo changes and fit exact amounts of bars within a certain time to match the scene and hit the sync points.

For mp4 or mov playback you have to install quicktime from apple. And if you want a bigger sized window for the movie try right clicking in the movie window (didn't I tell you that a long time ago already?)

And yeah, a version of the video with burnt in Time Code is really handy to have.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement