return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Distortion plugins
View this Thread in Original format
evo8
So what are the good ones??

Fabfilter Saturn is my favourite at the moment, it can be subtle or get quite heavy if desired but, overall, it just sounds great!!

Ohmicide...its almost too nasty and the GUI is awkward, i like using it sometimes tho

FATSO is excellent but being UAD only rules that out for a lot of people

I got the demo of Izotope trash, sounds like something you would put on guitars, not bad but will play with it some more, i dont get the feeling i will be purchasing :-/

What about NI Guitar Rig or IK Amplitube?? Anyone using those on synths/drums ??

Another one that popped up was Audiodamage Kombinat, i might take a punt on that one as its cheap

I really hope Valhalla makes a distortion plugin, i just know it would be quality :D
tehlord
RP Distort is pretty good, although I've not really used it at all since I got Saturn.

Magix Vandal is awesome too, and although it's geared towards the guitarist it works on other stuff really well too.
dj_alfi
FF Saturn is definitely top notch.
How often do you split up bands?

I also like the distortion section on CamelAudio Phat, although not so much the bit crusher.

Also there's a little plugin Steve Duda made, that does some nice distorting, I'll see if I can remember the name.
evo8
quote:
Originally posted by dj_alfi
FF Saturn is definitely top notch.
How often do you split up bands?

I also like the distortion section on CamelAudio Phat, although not so much the bit crusher.

Also there's a little plugin Steve Duda made, that does some nice distorting, I'll see if I can remember the name.

being the preset whore that i am i mainly stick to the included presets...theres a nice one i think its called "The Tube" - gives a nice gritty feel for techno stuff
I should play around with more and come up with my own presets as the quality is definitely there

CamelPhat i think i bought "second-hand" before Saturn but i kinda forgot about then i was using Saturn so much - need to revisit that one
dj_alfi
Phat is genius. I wish I had a hardware one. The compressor couldve had more buttons though.
Lith
I'll have to check some of these out. I never liked the results I had when running drums through a distortion. My experience led to too much treble boost, not enough crunch, and the sound I was looking for was better done with something else.

I think the tube leveler plug-in that comes with Sonar is a bit better, but still has the problem with cutting out too much of the low end.

Now if we were talking distortion on other types of signals, I came across this bundle a couple years ago, DS, Dsound, something like that--basically pedal emulators, and that sounded great on any signal. Was really great about overdrive on a digital signal. Normally driving a digital signal sounds like to me, but this one came close to sounding like actually using a pedal.

I'm biased though, I really think most distortion FX on drums just sound like so far, so that's why I'm looking forward to trying some of the recommendations above.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement