return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas

Pages: [1] 2 
Is EDM dying off in LA?
View this Thread in Original format
fantasyexctasy
There aren't as many events and the club scene has changed a lot in the past few years. I just see the crowds are getting tier and the mid level talents don't come. I remember when LA had 4 solid acts every weekend. Now it's nothing but cheese with cheesy music and people who don't know anything about music. So why are the clubs slowly dying? Is it because of Vegas? Is it the music? Is it the promoters? EDC leaving? Sellout DJs looking to make a quick profit? Deadmau5?
DaveT
I wouldn't pin-point it just on the lack of club nights, but rather managers (and bookers) of those clubs just not truly understanding that everything isn't an instant strike of success. Their's little patience on building a weekly or monthly properly in this era (unlike the old days), and unless there's instant success, the plug is pulled quickly or the demands just become insane. This has caused a number of promoter to really cut back on dealing with the attempt of throwing an event. This isn't only in LA, but all over the scene. Funny thing is that those managers/bookers who easily desert attempts at regular EDM nights and quickly abandon it seemingly never find success at trying anything else either. Of course, some do fine success in changing things up, but the vast (VAST!) majority just continue to fall on their face.

My two cents, at least. This post is my personal opinion and has nothing to do with anyone or anything else.
in2muzikk
You gotta be kidding me! I was just telling a friend about how there are so many good club nights lately in LA that I can't even get tickets for everything since so much is happening on the same night.

Had already bought at ticket for Wippenberg before Guy J was announced, for example. Skipped Glenn Morrison so I could enjoy a Marathon set from Markus the next night. Likewise, bought a ticket for W&W but then found out that Armin & Jochen Miller are going to be here the same night, so now I need to sell my W&W ticket.

Protoculture will be here in September and Jerome Isma-Ae is coming in October but I'll be out of town both dates, kind of wish I hadn't made plans to leave LA. :D

What I'm actually noticing is that more DJ's are getting booked with very short notice. I usually buy tix way ahead, and then other events come up later (sometimes only a week or two out) that I might prefer instead.

In years past, summer seemed like a lull time in LA since most DJ's were content to be playing in Ibiza and the rest of Europe (who can blame them, weather is often great!) Now it seems like everyone is coming to LA, even during the summer months as well. Yeah, sure, there are more popular DJ's coming to LA, but there are also many up and coming ones too.

What I notice most is what I call the "Hollywood Phenomenon." Most everyone wants to be at the #1 event that weekend, and it's usually for a major headliner. The clubs with more of the up and coming DJ's aren't "the place to be" so the crowds tend to be small. This is the biggest difference to me, and the trend seems to be growing stronger. People will pay $200 to a scalper to get into a sold-out show with a DJMag rated Top 10 DJ, but won't look twice at a club that draws some awesome up and coming talent for 1/10th the price... :wtf:
iLLiE586
There are tons events on every weekend, but that all depends on what you want to hear. If you want to hear DJ's that were popular 10 years ago, then it's most likely not happening. There is no money in booking old talent when the market is flooded with newer or still popular talent that brings the big money.

Hmmm let's see:

Markus Schulz 8/11
Marco V and Ashley Wallbridge 8/17
Juventa 8/18
Wippenberg 8/24
Arctic Moon 8/25
John 00 Flemming b2b Christopher Lawrence 8/25
Armin van Buuren 8/31 and 8/32
DNS Project 9/1
ferry Corsten and Justin Bieber 9/2
Subculture night with John O'Callaghan, Sneijder, and Tom Colontonio. 9/7
Andy Moor 9/14
Bryan Kearney 9/15
Nocturnal Wonderland 9/21-22
Danny Tenaglia 9/21
Aly & Fila 9/28
Protoculture 9/29

And all of that is just a small amount of stuff from last week through September... I've lived in a few major cities, and LA's electronic music scene and community is levels above what I've experienced.
DaveT
He's talking about the club scene. Armin @ Palladium and all that does not equal club. The vibes are completely differnt.
iLLiE586
quote:
Originally posted by DaveT
He's talking about the club scene. Armin @ Palladium and all that does not equal club. The vibes are completely differnt.

The only thing on that list that isn't in a club is the Armin event and Nocturnal. So I don't where the you get "and all that does not equal club"?
in2muzikk
quote:
Originally posted by iLLiE586
Armin van Buuren 8/31 and 8/32

:haha: :haha:

quote:

:haha: :haha: :haha:
alan
Im a bit confused too. At any given weekend, there are tons of dance music events at:

Avalon
Bardot (which usually has a different line up)
King King
Exchange
Los Globos
Circus

Plus, there is usually an 1 or 2 undergrounds per genre.

Plus the non-clubs like Palladium.

Plus the pop dance clubs like Playhouse, Supperclub, Agency, Greystone Manor, Colony, Vanguard, etc.
henryv
another dumb post.
72hrpartyanimal
a lack of of artists coming to LA = No

a lack of the EDM (oldschool) scene/vibe = Yes

but then again... you may refer to my sig :)

jonmitz
quote:

sellout!!
KarenLuvs2Party
quote:
Originally posted by 72hrpartyanimal
a lack of of artists coming to LA = No

a lack of the EDM (oldschool) scene/vibe = Yes

+1

I don't go out as much anymore but the few times I do like for PvD, Digweed.. it's always been a good time. Just gotta make the few times you do go out to be worthwhile! :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement