return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Winter Music Conference 2013

Pages: [1] 2 3 
WMC Survival Guide
View this Thread in Original format
Pantone199c
Any of the veterans have some tips and tricks they care to share. Last year was my first time doing WMC, I did Ultra only the year before. Help some brothers out!
Faceplant
Take a shower you smelly s!!!
StereoPrincess
Ha ha. Ok, don't judge this but I wrote this after my first WMC back in 2006.

There was some crazy partying going on and I have out grown this stage of my life but these apply to some of you maybe:

quote:

StereoPrincess's Advice for WMC goers:
1. Don't time things to the hour. In Miami, hours disappear like air. If you think you can get somewhere by a certain time, you are DEAD wrong. This goes from the moment you land to the moment you leave.

2. Do not drink too much at night. The bars are open all night and therefore once you start drinking, nothing is there to stop you, you will continue to drink until you pass out or get kick out of a bar or find a cab home and have no way of paying for it.

3. Eat. You will not last a day if you don't eat. Food can be cheap or expensive. Your choice. Try different foods that you don't usually get to have.

4. Get cheap sunglasses. Lots of them. Sales for 5$ sunglasses are on every corner. They are cheaper than a drink.

5. Bring a sweater EVERYWHERE. Like they say, "if you don't like the weather in Miami, wait 5 minutes". This goes both ways, good weather to bad weather and vice versa. A sweater can be used for many different things so it's not that big of a deal to bring it with you.

6. FOR GIRLS. Do not think that you can spend 2 hours getting ready to go out. Only care about the basics - tinted mosturizer, mascara, lipgloss. Everyone looks hot after a few hours in Miami from the glow of the sun. Hair - if you can put it up, do it, wear a hat, whatever. You don't want people to be waiting for you, you don't want to be occupying a bathroom too long.

7. Go to the beach. Don't spend all you time at events and clubs. You don't want to be coming back to winter and saying that you never even stepped foot on south beach. (this is achieved a bit by going to Nikki Beach).

8. GO TO NIKKI BEACH. Can't stress this enough. It's a place you don't want to miss EVER. Preferably a day party that they hold there. AND HAVE A MOJITO, dammit. You don't want to go to Nikki Beach and not have a mojito.

9. Take a lot of pictures. Tons and tons and tons and tons. If you camera takes video, do it! You won't regret looking at the after. I think I will be looking at photos for the rest of the year.

10. Drugs. If you like to participate in this activity, KNOW you own limits. Don't think that you can do as much as you normally do. Start very very very slow. If you over do it in the first 3 days, you miss the last 4 days. Also, at one time, if you think you can do a certain dose, you are WRONG. There are elements that come into play that you don't have an idea how it will affect you. Get health insurance, it costs a lot to go to the hospital.

11. Book time off after your return. At least 3 days of work would have been good for me. I had one day off but the other two days, I was a mess at work.

13. Go to Ultra. Your first time, you must go to Ultra. Go early, as soon as gates open. If you don't, you won't get in. And a lot of good acts play during the day. When you get there, take the time to get comfortable with all the areas so you know the quick ways of getting from one place to another. This way you minimize the time you spend between acts searching for things. Eat a big breakfast before Ultra because food and drinks are very expensive there. BRING A SWEATER.

14. Earplugs. Bring them, use them, DO IT. Space is SOOOOOO loud that your ears will bleed. You need the earplugs to keep the blood in your head.

15. Space tickets (others may differ). Do not pre-purchase Space tickets for the later nights. There will be sketchbags all over the place trying to get rid of their ticket. Offer them the price they paid. Also Space is just like any other super club, don't go there every night, pick one night and stay the whole time. You will get to see those DJs back home anyways. Go to Space to experience Space not the music (unless it's Sasha and Digweed).

16. Have cash on you. Your credit card may not work. Your debit card probably won't work. At Space, you need a credit card and ID, make sure that your name matches exactly on both (ran into this problem).

17. Plan for at least 400 dollar phone bill when you return to Canada. That way you won't be shocked when it arrives. Do as much as possible to get certain plan changes to your phone done before you leave. Add text messages (doesn't make a difference for roaming), add long distance minutes. Talk to your cell phone provider, they will help you.

18. SUNSCREEN. Apply sunscreen like it's your job. Even the very last day you are there. Reapply after rain or swimming. Keep applying because there are always spots you miss. Don't worry about getting a tan, it will happen.

19. Take the bus at least once. It's really fun seeing the locals and talking to the locals. They all have cool stories.

20. Make sure that at any moment you have a place to go back and sleep at. If you are sharing a hotel, make sure you have access to it at all times. Sometimes the two hours of sleep you catch a day is the most important thing.

21. Don't be dragged around by everyone else and what they are doing. Do what you want to do.

22. Plan parties for months before. Always know what's going on at what time and where it is. I spend hours looking at parties and looking for DJs to check out.

23. Every year there are must see DJs but until the following DJs stop spinning, make a point to see them just once, even if it is at Ultra and for 15 minutes: Danny Tenaglia, Carl Cox, Sasha and/or Digweed, Pete Tong, Sander K, and Deep Dish. These guys will infuse you with the spirit of WMC. Seeing Danny Tenaglia step from behind the decks and do what can only be described as the Deltron Shuffle is unforgettable and I could have left Miami.

oh lord i was a weirdo.
StereoPrincess
quote:
Originally posted by Faceplant

hahaha. yup.
bdr222
quote:
Originally posted by StereoPrincess
Ha ha. Ok, don't judge this but I wrote this after my first WMC back in 2006.

There was some crazy partying going on and I have out grown this stage of my life but these apply to some of you maybe:

oh lord i was a weirdo.

That's a pretty good guide IMO.

Honestly, just pace yourself because if not, you're gonna need a lot of Tina :clown:
KarenLuvs2Party
do you guys know where to buy bottles of booze in SoBe? do drugstores sell hard liquor in Florida? I know in LA they do but i know that varies by region. thanks!
diabloargentino
quote:
Originally posted by KarenLuvs2Party
do you guys know where to buy bottles of booze in SoBe? do drugstores sell hard liquor in Florida? I know in LA they do but i know that varies by region. thanks!

there are liquor stores on collins. i know there's definitely one around 15th/collins-ish.

great guide. most, if not all, still applies today.

my biggest tip of advice is not to do TOO much planning. you won't enjoy yourself. there are ENDLESS amounts of amazing parties and you won't be able to make it to all of them. you will experience plenty of FOMO (fear of missing out), it's okay. rather than trying to do 5 parties on one day to "be" at all of them, pick the artists that you really want to see/are doing big things right now and stick with that.

to go along with that, go with the flow. you might miss a party you planned on going to. you might end up at one you didn't expect. it's all part of the experience.

most importantly - spend a morning on the terrace at space :).
Pantone199c
quote:
Originally posted by bdr222
That's a pretty good guide IMO.

Honestly, just pace yourself because if not, you're gonna need a lot of Tina :clown:

You could try to stock up at one of those massive liquor stores on the way in before you get to south beach. You'd probably save a lot of money, since I'm assuming buying anything like that on the beach is expensive. If that matters to you.
Faceplant
another great tip... Silicone type flasks. Drinks are 10-20 at clubs. A flask will save you hundreds, most clubs don't pat down especially the smaller ones, but if they do pat down use your imagination
diabloargentino
quote:
another great tip... Silicone type flasks. Drinks are 10-20 at clubs. A flask will save you hundreds, most clubs don't pat down especially the smaller ones, but if they do pat down use your imagination

here's the best investment you'll ever make:

http://www.frattoys.com/3x-disposab...k-red-html.html

$7 to save you a lot more than that through the week.

i regularly use these. introduced them to my group of friends and they love me. we roam around NYC all the time from spot to spot and they fit in your pockets just fine without being noticeable. amazing.

PatMcGroin
quote:

this!! again and again and again.
DPetey81
So funny that I've been thinking about starting this thread for a few days now, but I was too lazy and didn't wanna take responsibility for updating it. Thanks for taking charge once again, Pantone.

I second the flask idea, but defintiely be careful in case of a pat down. Many clubs will take any opportunity to kick you out. It simply allows room to collect more door fees.
I love SP's list and feel most of it still applies. I will throw my own two cents in on a couple.

2,3,10. YES... Pacing yourself is the key to getting the most out of the week. I've heard too many stories of people missing parties after going too hard. If, like me, you come from a place that doesn't get 3-4 top notch djs every weekend, WMC events are extremely important for mental health, so don't miss out by pushing your limits early on.

7. I can't remember the last time I made it to the beach during WMC, haha.. I guess it's different for everyone, but it's not anywhere on my priority list. I'm in Miami for one reason - Music, which basically doesn't stop the entire time. But, for those of you who can sleep on the beach (I have trouble :) , that would be a good opportunity to catch an hour of zzz's.

8. Nikki Beach has lost a lot of it's luster over the years and I wouldn't go out of my way for an event there, but maybe that's because I've been there. It's still cool as hell.

15. I'd say with the explosion of attendance in recent years, Space tickets can be very handy, if not all together vital. I've noticed a lot less people selling outside the club. I also disagree, in principle, with going to Space for Space. Please go for the music. Luckily, I think anyone and everyone can find something to fit their tastes there, so, by all means, get your ass on the terrace at least once.

21. THE best piece of advice on there, imo. Go where you want, when you want. There are like minded people everywhere who will be at that event for the same reason as you. If you know that you'll be attending "alone" check ahead of time on the message boards and whatnot to find peeps to hang with. Most of us our friendly, but not me. :toocool:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement