return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Zimbabwe Elections
View this Thread in Original format
Lagrangian
Developing story I was lucky to catch on Sky news via Apple TV:

quote:
EU leaders say they are concerned about alleged irregularities in Zimbabwe's election after President Robert Mugabe's Zanu-PF party won a two-thirds majority in the vote.

Zanu-PF seized 158 of 210 seats in the landslide victory, according to the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission's results from Wednesday's parliamentary and presidential vote.

Mr Mugabe was also re-elected for a further five years after getting 61% in the presidential poll to opposition leader, Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai's 34%.

Mr Tsvangirai denounced the result as a "huge farce" and "sham", and said there was massive vote rigging by Zanu-PF.

The European Union said it was concerned about reports of irregularities and a lack of transparency in the election, its strongest criticism so far of the poll.

Its verdict will be crucial in deciding whether it continues to ease sanctions on the south African country.

http://news.sky.com/story/1124125/z...-irregularities

if Zanu-PF is indeed guilty of conspiracy in lieu of massive vote rigging accusations, will the Zimbabwean populace rise against the oppression like Egypt did? I followed the Malaysian elections a couple of months back, and I was looking for some rebellious reaction, but nothing came of it.

From CIA:

quote:

Zimbabwe's economy is growing despite continuing political uncertainty. Following a decade of contraction from 1998 to 2008, Zimbabwe's economy recorded real growth of more than 9% per year in 2010-11, before slowing to 5% in 2012, due in part to a poor harvest and low diamond revenues. However, the government of Zimbabwe still faces a number of difficult economic problems, including infrastructure and regulatory deficiencies, ongoing indigenization pressure, policy uncertainty, a large external debt burden, and insufficient formal employment. Zimbabwe''s 1998-2002 involvement in the war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo drained hundreds of millions of dollars from the economy. The government''s subsequent land reform program, characterized by chaos and violence, badly damaged the commercial farming sector, the traditional source of exports and foreign exchange and the provider of 400,000 jobs, turning Zimbabwe into a net importer of food products. Until early 2009, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe routinely printed money to fund the budget deficit, causing hyperinflation. Dollarization in early 2009 - which allowed currencies such as the Botswana pula, the South Africa rand, and the US dollar to be used locally - ended hyperinflation and reduced inflation to about 10%, but exposed structural weaknesses that continue to inhibit broad-based growth.
GDP (purchasing power parity):

$7.366 billion (2012 est.)
country comparison to the world: 159
$7.054 billion (2011 est.)
$6.38 billion (2010 est.)
note: data are in 2012 US dollars
GDP (official exchange rate):

$9.802 billion
note: in 2009, the Zimbabwean dollar was taken out of circulation, making Zimbabwe's GDP at the official exchange rate a highly inaccurate statistic (2012 est.)
GDP - real growth rate:

4.4% (2012 est.)
country comparison to the world: 73
10.6% (2011 est.)
9.6% (2010 est.)
GDP - per capita (PPP):

$600 (2012 est.)
country comparison to the world: 226
$500 (2011 est.)
$500 (2010 est.)
note: data are in 2012 US dollars

https://www.cia.gov/library/publica...ok/geos/zi.html

unemployment rate is 95% with 68% below the poverty line.
Fledz
It's totally legit.
Lilith
Having the African Union monitor your elections is a bit like having a fox guard a hen house. Bunch of crooks.

It was sad looking up where I used to live there on google maps, think at some point someone might tried to scratch up the fields a bit in the last 5 years or so, but basically there's nothing but left but the levee bank where the house and machinery sheds once where 13 years ago.

The country was once literally the food bowl of Africa that had a massive surplus, then they kicked all the farmers out and are now starving to death amongst other things most of the western world doesn't give a damn about.
Doesn't really matter to me either any more I guess, but I do bear a grudge :(
Marcus Summers
If the whites were still in control of Southern Rhodesia like this would have never happened.
_Ocean_Drive_
quote:
Originally posted by Lilith
Having the African Union monitor your elections is a bit like having a fox guard a hen house. Bunch of crooks.
:stongue: :stongue: :stongue:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement