return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Organising single tracks for MP3-CDs: HOW?
View this Thread in Original format
ali92
I have at least 200 singles that I want to put on MP3-CDs but, I have a big problem: ALL 259 tracks (2.71 GB) are in ONE FOLDER called "Singles" in my "Electronic" folder. I'm planning on making 700 MB Winamp Playlists (M3U) and just putting all of the tracks, along with the Playlist file in the root directory of the CD-R. My problem is: What order is the best way to put them in? I REALLY wish I didn't have to play EVERY SINGLE TRACK JUST because I don't know what every one of them sounds like! If anyone's willing to help me out (People who do this all the time, can you give me some suggestions as well as how you do it?), THANKS!
Trancewave
I used to keep just about everything including all livesets, albums and singles in all genres of electronica. However it got too messy and once I passed the 80 gig mark I finally decided to get a good database program to catalogue everything LOL.

Now I only keep all the tracks I like and delete the rest. First thing I did was separate all my livesets, albums and singles in separate folders. Then I got a mass name converter program like MP3 Tag Studio (excellent program) and a Database program like Mp3 Stocker (this proggie rocks).

I number my CDs and use the database program to find a track that I want to listen to. Say for example if I want to listen to "Lazard - 4 O'Clock in the Morning" I would load up Stocker and know that it's on CD 35 and so I would pull it out and listen to it. It works really well.
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by Trancewave
I used to keep just about everything including all livesets, albums and singles in all genres of electronica. However it got too messy and once I passed the 80 gig mark I finally decided to get a good database program to catalogue everything LOL.

Now I only keep all the tracks I like and delete the rest. First thing I did was separate all my livesets, albums and singles in separate folders. Then I got a mass name converter program like MP3 Tag Studio (excellent program) and a Database program like Mp3 Stocker (this proggie rocks).

I number my CDs and use the database program to find a track that I want to listen to. Say for example if I want to listen to "Lazard - 4 O'Clock in the Morning" I would load up Stocker and know that it's on CD 35 and so I would pull it out and listen to it. It works really well.

That would work for me if I was ONLY playing those MP3-CDs on my PC. this is NOT the case. I'm getting a portable MP3-CD player (iRiver Chrome-X (IMP-150 (or was it 250?))) in October 2002 and my main place of listening to these CDs is outside, away from my PC. What can I do NOW?
a-aplz
dude just burn them on a fukin cd you dont need to get all technical and ...jeeeez fuk all the fancy stuff, burn and listen to it. :D
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by a-aplz
dude just burn them on a fukin cd you dont need to get all technical and ...jeeeez fuk all the fancy stuff, burn and listen to it. :D

That's what you do? Did u know that order affects the way the experience is? Use this example: What if a DJ played tracks at RANDOM? I heard that if you give 2 DJs the SAME list of tracks to play, you'll have 2 different parties. Why? Because of the order in which the tracks were played. What if you played all of the anthems first and for the next 3-4 hours, you played all "filler tracks"? How would that be?
JimmyPop
this might be a crazy idea, but why don't you just put the tracks in some order that will give you a good "experience"

quote:
Did u know that order affects the way the experience is?

yes, we did

quote:
What if you played all of the anthems first and for the next 3-4 hours, you played all "filler tracks"? How would that be?

you seem to be insinuating that only those few tracks that qualify as "anthems" are worth hearing, and that all the other tracks are "filler"...
this seems like an ignorant way of referring to what is called the set's "build up"...
the "filler" is just as important as the "anthems"...likewise, to a refined lister, filler does not exist

(by the way, these ideas may very well be the result my own sleep deprivation, and the resulting irrationality)
Nicke
generate a playlist in Winamp and print it
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyPop
this might be a crazy idea, but why don't you just put the tracks in some order that will give you a good "experience"

yes, we did

you seem to be insinuating that only those few tracks that qualify as "anthems" are worth hearing, and that all the other tracks are "filler"...
this seems like an ignorant way of referring to what is called the set's "build up"...
the "filler" is just as important as the "anthems"...likewise, to a refined lister, filler does not exist

(by the way, these ideas may very well be the result my own sleep deprivation, and the resulting irrationality)

I know that the "fillers" or "build-up tracks" are just as good as the "anthems" but, what if everything's in the "wrong" place?
a-aplz
quote:
Originally posted by ali92
What order is the best way to put them in? I!

Mix them fool.
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by a-aplz

Mix them fool.

I never mixed before so, that would take a LONG time to do, plus, not every track is a certain bitrate. Some are 128 kbps (or even 96 kbps!), while others are 320! It's not worth mixng MP3s that will becomes just more (lower quality) MP3s. If I were to mix, I would want to have top-notch equipment and ALL ORIGINAL material before attempting to do it! I wouldn't even let anyone hear my first mix until after 6 months to a year of practice, when I make some DECENT sets. I would have people hear a set from when I was just starting out and I'll have them hear a set from recently. There WILL be differences...
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement