return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Burning DVD's with a CD-Burner
View this Thread in Original format
Coup
Ive been told this is possible, my mate apparntly does it, granted he is stupid so prob isnt anyway but he says its mega slow (obviously) and he either plays with his burner or plays with some software or something blah blah.

Is this possible?

cheers :)
Mr.Mystery
No way! :stongue:

He probably meant SVCD's or something...
Az
if he's got a DVD burner, yes, if not, no :p
I believe anyway, cos DVD's are made up of a different reflective thingy
FuzzyGreen
You need a DVD burner in order to burn DVD's. Also there are a few different formats of DVD R's to look out for. The compatibility with players will differ depending on the type used.

But you can use a CD burner to create VCD's or SVCD's.
Ekstasis
It has to be VCDs. I think it takes something like 30 CDRs to hold the ammount of information on a DVD.
goodnet
quote:
Originally posted by Coup ...granted he is stupid...

yea that explains it

like the others said, he prolly burns VCD/SVCD/DIVX format movies onto CDR
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by Ekstasis
It has to be VCDs. I think it takes something like 30 CDRs to hold the ammount of information on a DVD.

Let's do some simple maths (all numbers are approximate, I'm aware of the difference between 1 000 000 bytes and 1 MB (which is 1 048 576 bytes) so, that's why I'm calling it approximite:

1 CD = 650 MB (original sizes will be used here)

1 single-layer, single-sided DVD = 4.35 GB.

4.35 / 0.65 (GB) = around 6.69 CDs

If 700 MB CDs were used, this number would be 6.21.

I heard that the real number would be closer to 7 CDs' worth of data.
dj_mdma
I think Coup might have confused Burning with copying! :p

It should be possible to copy the content of a DVD onto CDR/RW's if u have both a DVD ROM and CD Rewriter.

I'd guess u'd have to download dodgy software that allows the content of the DVD to be read as a single file that u then break into components and then copy theem onto the CD?
Coup
yeah this guy must be doing VCD's and all that, thick c**t :p

well i thought it may be useful to buy a DVD-RW and backup my mp3's on that, buy one of them instead of 1000's of cd'r's, but then it i lose it or sister breaks it, doh!

thanks anyway :)
Linx_da_cat
there's some software on the net you can buy that apparently burns dvds using your cd-r. i forget what it is and there's a whole load of stuff about compatability and whatnot but they say you can do it.

now i know the difference in cds and dvds, i don't believe them for a second but if it's out there, it's prolly good for something.

benfica88
quote:
there's some software on the net you can buy that apparently burns dvds using your cd-r. i forget what it is and there's a whole load of stuff about compatability and whatnot but they say you can do it.

Proggie is what everybody has been saying. It burns vcds wich are playble on most dvd players.
Tranzmit
If it's possible i'll find out and let you guys know. Very interesting theory indeed. Hard to believe because DVD-roms and writers use a different laser beam that's much more precise and can basically burn smaller pits on the surface on the DVD-rom. Where'd you see this Lynx?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement