return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
CDJ 2000 with Laptop vs USB Stick
View this Thread in Original format
Lith
I'm sorry, this must have already been answered, but my search wasn't coming back with results.

What is the main benefit of running a CDJ 2000 with a laptop versus a USB stick or SD card?

Two main things I could think of:

1. Traktor or whichever DJ software control

2. Larger song selection

I guess I ask because I haven't noticed that much of a difference, though I do appreciate the looping functionality with Traktor over the CDJ 2000. And, perhaps loop points and load time if you aren't using recordbox (I don't).

I feel by comparison, if I use the CDJ 2000 with a USB stick I get most of the functionality I need without needing to use a laptop. What am I missing?

Thanks for your input, or pointing me to the thread I likely missed!
PaULiN0
I use USB sticks.
discobiscuit
quote:
Originally posted by PaULiN0
I use USB sticks.

In your butt
PaULiN0
Oh wow what an insult that was.
Lith
Since this discussion isn't moving forward very well, I'll add some additional thoughts.

I have noticed drifting when using CDJs with USB sticks, but not when run with Traktor.

I haven't done anything with Recordbox from Pioneer though, so maybe there is a difference when tracks are analyzed and prepped with that? Using OS 4.20 for CDJ-2000.

Drift is a nuisance, but of course easy to correct with the jog, but I don't think WAV nor mp3 tracks should be jittering (easy to detect both audibly and via the bpm display on the CDJ). Maybe that has lead to the favoritism for laptop/CDJ combos?
Ted Promo
http://www.**********.com/

:eyespop: :eek: :eyespop: :eyespop: :crazy:
jad
Master tempo on CDJs doesn't sound as good on usb pens as it does through traktor. I don't know if this issue has been addressed with new drivers yet. The difference is much more pronounced when using mp3 files.

I still find USB pens to be much more convenient with CDJs. Plus you're not skimming through folders as much and looking at the screen, which makes you become more in tune with what's happening on the dance-floor.
PaULiN0
I found a new approach that works well for me and much better than the normal one I used before. This time I use only 1 usb stick and 1 ethernet cable. I don't get much drift this time around from using 2 and i also use quantize. Everything works seamlessly, couldn't be more happier.
Nemesis44
Heya,

This is a very personal choice. It's what makes you give the best performance that matters.

I mainly use the laptop because of the effects chains that I have set up. I also have a controller for the effects but still use the mixer for volume EQ etc. Also use the CDJs to match and cue and so on.

I have the ability to throw in extra decks if I am working with techno and house styles which in turn I can use the controller to work.

In my world I find them pretty much a means to the same end, it's just which suits you best that matters.

Hell, use the synch button if you feel to, in all honesty, DJing is about way more than beatmatching. Personally I like matching beats but wouldn't look down on someone for not doing it if their track selection was bang on. Sorry, wandered off topic a little.

But my point goes back to, whatever makes you sound better to your listeners is the right answer.

Cheers
Nem
Nemesis44
quote:
Originally posted by PaULiN0
I found a new approach that works well for me and much better than the normal one I used before. This time I use only 1 usb stick and 1 ethernet cable. I don't get much drift this time around from using 2 and i also use quantize. Everything works seamlessly, couldn't be more happier.

Yeah, I know a lot of guys who do that and they swear by it. It seems to be a good option.

Cheers
Nem

Lith
Good information, so thanks for the info!

@PaULiN0 haven't tried using an ethernet cable myself, but would be something worth considering. I currently use multiple USB sticks, which is a hindrance because you may want something on one that isn't available on the other. That helps address the availability issue where a laptop sometimes could win the argument (but am not sure how often club setups are linked?). Not a fan of trying to keep 2+ USB sticks duplicated.

I don't use sync myself, so think that's outside of my original question here (but I did bring it up in another thread as when I tried it I experienced drift without using Traktor/laptop connections).

I will have to give the ethernet connection a try to see how that works, some additional simplicity (and complications), but like the options!
Lith
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread, but still relevant to this conversation.

With the ethernet connection, how do you manage 4-deck setups? I like using a single USB stick to run two decks, but it's by no means a switch or router. Assuming four could be connected simultaneously, the bus should support 4x1411Kbps, but it's unclear from documentation how/if it handles this. I'm getting ahead of myself, however!

Alternative of course, just do 2-by-2 (but you give up the flexibility).

Second question: how often are clubs already setup, willing, or capable of letting you run ethernet connections between the decks? I haven't seen this often, still more likely to expect you bring a laptop instead.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement