return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Thinking of selling CDJ's to switch to Serato...
View this Thread in Original format
DJ RANN
So I know I've been threatening this for a while but I'm thinking about dumping mj CDJ800 mk2's for serato to use with my Tech's Mk5g's.

but before I do, I'm looking for a bit of real useage feedback from some serato owners!

Firstly, when using my mate's SL1 setup (although he never really runs his decks well calibrated), I found tracks would drift (go in and out of time when beatmatched).

I know that techs have a tiny bit of wow and flutter but I've never had a problem gettiing my vinyl mixes locked in, whereas my limited Serato experiences were not as tight?

Secondly, I'm only mixing two decks so don't think I need an SL4 but I want the best audio quality - will an SL3 or even 2 be ok?
DJ RANN
Come on peeps? Gimme some info!
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Come on peeps? Gimme some info!

It's really a matter of preference. Do you like vinyl or CDJ's?
miamitranceman
Still rockin my 800 mk2s. At this point im gonna use em till they go on me. No sign of that though.
DJ RANN
Well, I do like the feel of CDJ's - the 800's are great, but vinyl is my first love.

It's more a case of having to burn cd's, and with serato I could skip all that ballache.

Really it's a case of convenience. I probably will miss the tight efficiency of CDJ's from a tactile point, but I suppose this is what I'm really asking:

Is serato as tight as vinyl or is there a lot of drift? I can't stand having to constantly fight the pitch when I know it's just the technology that is ing it up.
PaULiN0
IMO, you know Rann that i tried both. When it comes to USB sticks i got more drift than using Techs 1200's with traktor. Soon I''ll try traktor without the audio10 and lower my signal path with my numark turntables that i still have with the xone 42. It should be awsome thanks to the tutorial you posted awhile back, anyhow i gotta look for it.
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Well, I do like the feel of CDJ's - the 800's are great, but vinyl is my first love.

It's more a case of having to burn cd's, and with serato I could skip all that ballache.

Really it's a case of convenience. I probably will miss the tight efficiency of CDJ's from a tactile point, but I suppose this is what I'm really asking:

Is serato as tight as vinyl or is there a lot of drift? I can't stand having to constantly fight the pitch when I know it's just the technology that is ing it up.

Of course it's going to drift, but if it's the vinyl feel you are after, then you know what to do.
Adam420
Sorry Juan, but there's absolutely no way that you get more drift with CDJs and USB than with Tech's and Traktor. I have very extensive experience using both setups, and would take the former any day of the week.
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by PaULiN0
IMO, you know Rann that i tried both. When it comes to USB sticks i got more drift than using Techs 1200's with traktor. Soon I''ll try traktor without the audio10 and lower my signal path with my numark turntables that i still have with the xone 42. It should be awsome thanks to the tutorial you posted awhile back, anyhow i gotta look for it.

It's bizarre that CDJ's drift with USB sticks, but you're not the first person I've heard complain about that. I was wondering about getting rid of the 800's and going to something that takes USB for the convenience of it, but it kind of defeats the point if they drift.

quote:
Originally posted by KiNeTiC ENeRgY
Of course it's going to drift, but if it's the vinyl feel you are after, then you know what to do.

Why "of course"?

From what I'm reading, along with a little experience of my mates badly calibrated system (so maybe not the best reference), it drifted to the amount you have with low resolution pitch step CDJ's (i.e. like CDJ 100's) where you have to ride the pitch the whole time on a long mix because the step have too much difference between to lock right in.

Do you feel that they drift any more so than just using vinyl (which on my techs is negligible)?
Adam420
CDJS DO NOT drift with USBs. If they do, it's because you don't have the pitch adjusted correctly. One thing I did notice, with the 2000's, is that the pitch can move a tiny bit by itself from time to time. But with my 850's I can easily get my tracks locked it for minutes at a time without any drifting.

PaULiN0
Yeah i got 2000's and when i have it locked the beats drift just little before I'm able to make a change imo. I just ordered reloop 7000's i doubt that it will stand up to a 1200 but atleast its better than my numarks lol :p

I agree with clay. After having tried both at the same time i'd go with time code vinyl. May m5g's rest in peace.
PaULiN0
hell yea, right on. How much does a cutter go for?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement