return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Happy 4th of July!
View this Thread in Original format
EDM Gal
Spacey Orange
you just earned yourself a sexy PM.;)
planetaryplayer
hahaha if only there was one for canada !
Jon_Snow
I was wondering if we didn't fight the British would we have become another Canada? Ehh?
Lagrangian
Lagrangian
I cannot wait to be first man.
Joss Weatherby
America day was very America. I had a quarter of a can of Budweiser and then a lot of vodka. I've had even more vodka tonight.

'murca.
Lagrangian
quote:

"We, the people are violent and filled with rage: A nation spinning apart on its Independence Day."

School shootings, hatred, capitalism run amok: This 4th of July, we are in the midst of a tragic public derangement

'By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard ’round the world.
–Ralph Waldo Emerson, “Concord Hymn,” 1837'

For centuries most Americans have believed that “the shot heard ’round the world” in 1775 from Concord, Massachusetts, heralded the Enlightenment’s entry into history. Early observers of America such as G.W.F. Hegel, Edward Gibbon and Edmund Burke believed that, too. A new kind of republican citizen was rising, amid and against adherents of theocracy, divine-right monarchy, aristocracy and mercantilism. Republican citizens were quickening humanity’s stride toward horizons radiant with promises never before held and shared as widely as they were in America.
The creation of the United States really was a Novus ordo seclorum, a New Order of the Ages, a society’s first self-aware, if fumbling and compromised, effort to live by the liberal expectation that autonomous individuals could govern themselves together without having to impose religious doctrines or mystical narratives of tribal blood or soil. With barely a decorous nod to The Creator, the founders of the American republic conferred on one another the right to have rights, a distinguished group of them constituting the others as “We, the people.”

That revolutionary effort is not just in trouble now, or endangered, or under attack, or reinventing itself. It’s in prison, with no prospect of parole, and many Americans, including me, who wring our hands or wave our arms about this are actually among the jailers, or we’ve sleepwalked ourselves and others into the cage and have locked ourselves in. We haven’t yet understood the shots fired and heard ’round the world from 74 American schools, colleges and military bases since the Sandy Hook School massacre of December 2012.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/04/we_...dependence_day/
Lagrangian
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement