return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Critique my transition!
View this Thread in Original format
Stormdance
so I've had my own DJing setup for a few months, but haven't had the time to practice at all until about a month or so ago. I spent the time between driving and studying sets and tracks, figuring out where cue points are, how the big names do things, etc. This is my first pretty good (I think transition), check it out and tell me what you think!

http://storm.w1.net/trans1.mp3 (about 9 megs, 192Kbps mp3)

Track are: PvD - Another way into 29 Palms - Touch The Sky (Trash & Dash Mix)
Dmatrox
I think it was matched alright, the beatmatching was fine, but you need to take a little time on the transition, dont just throw it in like that. Use the eqs and volume fader. You're only allowed to do that if you are a drunk dj ;)

Another way is a great song
wozzeck
Not bad. It was a little off, but you fixed it fairly well and quickly.

Good job.

EDIT: I agree that the transition was a little sudden. Employ what you know and gradually make the transition if possible (sounds like you had a break to contend with so i don't know how plausible this was).

Edit 2: Nice track :)
Stormdance
Yeah i think the timing was a bit off, though the timing would have been a lot better (I think) if I didn't bring Touch the Sky in so loud. Also, I probably should have killed the highs on Another Way right when the second phrase of the mix started and brought up touch the sky a little more. Think I'll try that again in the morning with those adjustments and post the results.

Thank you :D

BTW, mixing with studio monitor headphones is a bitch - very uncomfortable when you can't rotate the cups!
Xquisite
an idea to fix that is to tweak your EQs before you bring it in. Try lowering the bass on the incoming track, and as you bring in the incoming track, lower the bass on the outgoing and raise the bass on the incoming and gradually counter each other etc. then you might want to get rid of the high hats on the outgoing because you might hear a crash and u'd be like "where did that come from?"

heh i usually mix in my head phones. I know most of my songs by heart so when i know they're beatmatch i just take off the headphones and mix from the monitors.

my pesos :thumb:
DjJade
wow that was a fast download....1.8mb/s

xquixite...thats exactly what i do... i cant do the whole one ear on the headphones and other listning to monitors thing. owell

storm... sounds really good but alittle sudden on the bass for my taste... if i were mixing i would have played with the eq more but thats just me...sounds really good though, nice songs : )
Devbert
Gains are much louder in 29 Palms than in PVD. (match gains)
Drop the bass way to sudden sudden.
At 5:24 the melody of in the incoming track stand out way to much.
Bring the incoming track in slower, outgoing time was good however.
Nice tracks.
Busy Child
not bad at all. I think everyone has said everything i was gonna say.
Good luck.
Dmatrox
quote:
Originally posted by Stormdance

BTW, mixing with studio monitor headphones is a bitch - very uncomfortable when you can't rotate the cups!

No its not, ive been mixing with monitor headphones, its very comfy my gots mdr7506
Busy Child
quote:
Originally posted by Dmatrox
No its not, ive been mixing with monitor headphones, its very comfy my gots mdr7506

yep, i got monitor phones too and i dont have problems . . . especially when i go one ear monitoring mode.

Stormdance
Well my headphones, Sennheiser HD565 SOUND beautiful, but they're very inflexible, so going one ear isn't fun. Gonna be getting a pair of RP-DJ1200s soon, they feel great, and look smooth too.

Thanks all :D
j@y
the beggining was a bit weak
the tune you put was too fast and you didnt seem to fix it
nice spot to kill the other tune

practice every day
like i do and sometimes i trow perfect mixes
i bet you can also throw perfect mixes
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement