return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

New Desktop Vinyl Cutter Kickstarter Project Gets Funding....
View this Thread in Original format
DJ RANN
Some boffins in the land of bad beer and even worse haircuts (Australia, Stu), are developing a vinyl cutter that will sell for around $6500 AUD.

The unit will be able to cut vinyl blanks and they have already tripled their goal of $10,000 and with extra funding hope to bring down the retail price even further and give more features.

Full article here:

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/d...-at-home-611959

And the Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-for-vinyl-c/https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/1481828/photo-1024x768.jpg?1417253704
meriter
someday... not anytime soon
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by Robotrance
the real question is, why dont we make vinyl with 3d printers now?

The resolution isn't there. However, it is with lasers. Guys are already making (crude) burns in to vinyl with hobby lasers (like the Full Spectrum Laser Cutter I own) but honestly the best way is just with a diamond tip.

TBH, the price of the making specialized equipment is coming down so much at the moment - it's because you can own a precision CNC cutter for less than $2k. My laser was $4k. You can buy a high quality lathe for less than $2k. Production quality 3d printers for less than $2k.

It's bonkers, and it means making devices that previously required minimum 6 figures of investment can actually be made with about $10k worth of tools, and it's only getting cheaper.

At some point someone will make a vinyl cutter for less than $1000 and that will be the tipping point. If that happens anytime soon, and the blanks are less than $10 a shot, then I will buy one in a heart beat.

It's such a shame Vestax discontinued their cutter - it was great and only that they launched it on the downswing of vinyl (rather than the upswing we have again now) that it lost them money.

They still come up every now and again but they go for around $5k, and now probably more.

I'm hoping kickstarters like these will mean the price gets to the point any DJ could seriously consider buying a vinyl cutter.

it will be like the old days when DJ's were playing dub plates or tiny run promos of tracks.
Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
(Australia, Stu)

:stongue:
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
:stongue:

;)
MSZ
If I was a hipster, I'd be all over this.
DJ Sarah H
Its fantastic that vinyl is making a come back, I love playing vinyl and still have 3 vinyl decks in my set up (only one of them plugged in at the mo, one being refurbed and the other is on my desk used for ripping vinyl), the problem is persuading the clubs to dig out and dust off their old sets of Technics (if they still work) and reinstall them into the booths or get them to invest in new vinyl decks like the pioneer PLX 1000.

Out of all the clubs I play, only one of them still has a set of 1210s set up in the booth, but they are knackered, other DJs have been using them to put their drinks on, their laptops on, their bags etc, the tone arms are bent, the metalwork all scratched up, the pitch sliders gummed up from sticky drinks but I still use them now and then, take along my own carts etc and amazingly the crowd loves it as well, seeing a DJ actually using vinyl :)
Innocence Lost
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sarah H
Its fantastic that vinyl is making a come back, I love playing vinyl and still have 3 vinyl decks in my set up (only one of them plugged in at the mo, one being refurbed and the other is on my desk used for ripping vinyl), the problem is persuading the clubs to dig out and dust off their old sets of Technics (if they still work) and reinstall them into the booths or get them to invest in new vinyl decks like the pioneer PLX 1000.

Out of all the clubs I play, only one of them still has a set of 1210s set up in the booth, but they are knackered, other DJs have been using them to put their drinks on, their laptops on, their bags etc, the tone arms are bent, the metalwork all scratched up, the pitch sliders gummed up from sticky drinks but I still use them now and then, take along my own carts etc and amazingly the crowd loves it as well, seeing a DJ actually using vinyl :)

I totally agree with this.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement