return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Do you know why?
View this Thread in Original format
skaborough fats
Before I get to my point I'd like to ask one thing. Don't use this thread to flame. I have a question for the American TA's, and it is in no way meant to flame or put them down. If you feel you absolutely must say useless, unproducting then take it else where. See if maybe we could get a productive conversation on the go for once...

As I have been traveling through Europe of late, I have been watching their media for their reaction and comments to the Iraq situation. I have noticed that the reporting in the EU, compared with that of Canada has a different slant/focus, and the reporting in the US has it's own as well. Now this is understandable, but it has raised a question in my mind...

American TA's, why is the US pushing for war with Iraq?

I just want to hear what information you guys are being given, because I keep coming across articles claiming that the American people are being grossly mislead by their media and politicans.

Again, if you can't keep your BS to your self, piss off. I don't want to hear it, and no one else does. If you absolutely must flame... then pm me.

Cheers,
Fats
Tranzmit
I fully agree with this idea Skaborough and hopefully this will work without the flames that happen usually. Lets keep this thread objective and clean guys please!
DJ El Kay Dee
quote:
Originally posted by skaborough fats
As I have been traveling through Europe of late, I have been watching their media for their reaction and comments to the Iraq situation. I have noticed that the reporting in the EU, compared with that of Canada has a different slant/focus, and the reporting in the US has it's own as well. Now this is understandable, but it has raised a question in my mind...

media bias my friend..happens all over the world...i noticed the same thing when i was back in the Mid East and compared local news to CNN and BBC...BBC has some of the most in depth, unbias news imo as compared to other news channels.....
Sarcoman
The media, in my opinion, would like to have something to report, something exciting that sells newspapers, and gets people to watch the news. War does this. I think that subconciously the media would like a war to start, so that they have something to report.

The american govt (ie bush), knows that during war time, his popularity increases. War will help him.

Bush is also trying to finish what his father did not. Saddam. Bush and Saddam are eachothers nemesis. They are born and sworn enemies. Even if Saddam completely succumbed to the UN's regulations, Bush would still want to go in there and kick his ass.
EbolaCola
As an American who criticizes Bush's actions incredibly, I feel obligated to answer this:

Bush obviously wants a war with Iraq. This would help him deal with two problems:

1. Re-election: Bush knows he wouldn't be elected again in 2004 if there was no major conflict, so he's pushing war with Iraq so that he'll be re-elected in 2004 and continue his presidency.

2. OUR ECONOMY SUCKS!: The "war" with Iraq is a diversion from how horrible our economy has gone. Starting with the bankruptcy of Enron and other major American companies, the economy has gone down the path toward regression. Bush wants to divert our attention away from the economy to the war he's proposing against Iraq. (My dad is hella upset cuz he lost $20,000 in mutual funds because of the economy).

Anyway, Saddam never even said that he'd use weapons of mass destruction against us. It's Bush's assumption that he'll use them to attack the U.S., so he wants Saddam to disarm them. Saddam NEVER EVER said that he'd do anything with the weapons, but now Bush instigated a useless war that the United States could have avoided to save some lives.

Just my 2 cents.
Vivid Boy
bah u know what it doesnt matter bush will still be elected into office in 2004...and if he doesnt get the votes theyll just rigg it like last election...theres not alot that we as citizens can do anymore...we're just pawns...i say start a civil war in the states...thats the only way anythin g is going to change..or just hold a rebellion...go to the steps of thw white house and piss on it...revolt! its THE TIME TO TAKE UP ARMS MY PPL! LETS KILL THE BUSH !!!! TAKE MATTERS INTO OUR OWN HANDS!!!!!!1 THEY CAN TAKE INTERNET CONNECTIONS BUT THEY CAN NEVER TAKE OUR FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!
Arbiter
quote:
Originally posted by EbolaCola
As an American who criticizes Bush's actions incredibly, I feel obligated to answer this:

Bush obviously wants a war with Iraq. This would help him deal with two problems:

1. Re-election: Bush knows he wouldn't be elected again in 2004 if there was no major conflict, so he's pushing war with Iraq so that he'll be re-elected in 2004 and continue his presidency.

2. OUR ECONOMY SUCKS!: The "war" with Iraq is a diversion from how horrible our economy has gone. Starting with the bankruptcy of Enron and other major American companies, the economy has gone down the path toward regression. Bush wants to divert our attention away from the economy to the war he's proposing against Iraq. (My dad is hella upset cuz he lost $20,000 in mutual funds because of the economy).

Bingo. I really don't think there is that much support for attacking Iraq amongst the American public. There aren't any good reasons to attack, and there are plenty of good reasons not to. The reason being put forth publicly is basically that we don't want them to get weapons of mass destruction, but no-one really believes that.

Cheers,

Arbiter
AnotherWay83
exactly what ebolocola said. bush desperately wants a war to further his own agenda, whatever that is. he knows there isn't much of a reason to attack iraq, and im sure the public sees that too.
DJ El Kay Dee
i think another reason is cos bush inistially wanted to bomb iraq for all the above mentioned reasons and now the rest of the world is against that, so to prove his strength he wants to go ahead anyways
Juricimo
eeh..many different opinions. i think Pres. Bush is one cool cat. I support him in his quest to go blow up saddam. the way i see it, it's either him or us. and if it's us, then it's too late to get them. but politics are a major issue here...c'min, if old skool ex-Pres. Bush wanted to blow up saddam, he could've, same goes for the present Pres. Bush, as well as him finding osama.

>JM<

skaborough fats
All this is good.. really. But what I was looking for was our US TA's to give us their prespective... I want to know what they believe is the justification for this action?

I'm trying to gauge what the public preception in the States is. The reason is because in Canada I usually watch BBC world or CBC. I rarely watch US news. But here I have actually been watching more CNN & Fox News (a title they use very loosely) than usual and I'm kinda shocked by what they report. As far as US TA's are concerned, what are the reasons for the war?

Cheers,
Fats
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement