return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Florida

Jamie xx new album and the great resident advisor
View this Thread in Original format
Faceplant
I haven't heard the whole album yet but the few tracks I heard I am a huge fan of. I thought these ra reviews were awesome

http://www.residentadvisor.net/revi...d=17013󭰢

Jamie xx makes that afternoon bar b q or beach feel good music, I cannot understand all the hate this guy gets from the ra hipsters. I don't want to hear recondite or Mano when I'm In a chill mood just as much as I don't wanna hear Jamie xx at 4am on the terrace.

Discuss
ucforange
I have always said that I love RA for the info but I cannot stand the community. Its a circle jerl of overly critical music dorks who think they have a golden ear for music. Groupthink at its best (worst.)
OrangestO
Yea, I like to think I'm open-minded, but I'm pretty sure hanging out with any of the active posters on that site would be unbearable.

It's like an extension of the MD subforum on here - except 10x worse. And that's really saying something.

As for the album, it's one of the better commercial/debut releases I've heard this year. Perfect for the summer, IMO.

I'm not surprised RA would hate it given their pretentious sensibilities.

Putting a track like "Good Times" on the album is like dousing yourself with gasoline and handing that circle-jerk community the matches.

Anyways, look forward to the Tale of Us remix of Gosh!
BPM_PHL
quote:
Originally posted by OrangestO
Yea, I like to think I'm open-minded, but I'm pretty sure hanging out with any of the active posters on that site would be unbearable.

I've found people to generally be worlds more positive in person, the internet can be a nasty awful place.
OrangestO
So I'm sitting here listening to the album again while reflecting on a lot of people's opinions about it on resident advisor. I could be totally wrong, but I think a lot of the 'hate’ it’s receiving on there is less about the music and more about how much it blurs the lines between commercial/poppy music a casual listener would enjoy and the kind of stuff a mature, well-rounded listener would too. As I wrote in another post on here, it has a lot of flavors and something for everyone - except those who stubbornly want the perfect piece of music that caters specifically to their own tastes. Or those who are too underground for their own good and refuse to even give it a chance because they’re afraid of losing cool points. Lighten up, folks. I hate cheesy music like most of us on here, but this is far from that like some would argue on RA. Will the masses attract to it like flies to ? Absolutely. Does it disparage electronic dance music? I think not.
OrangestO
Also, he released a solid summer album and is doing a major summer tour.

Commercial success. People on RA smell it and, of course, hate as a result.
Faceplant
quote:
Originally posted by OrangestO
So I'm sitting here listening to the album again while reflecting on a lot of people's opinions about it on resident advisor. I could be totally wrong, but I think a lot of the 'hate’ it’s receiving on there is less about the music and more about how much it blurs the lines between commercial/poppy music a casual listener would enjoy and the kind of stuff a mature, well-rounded listener would too. As I wrote in another post on here, it has a lot of flavors and something for everyone - except those who stubbornly want the perfect piece of music that caters specifically to their own tastes. Or those who are too underground for their own good and refuse to even give it a chance because they’re afraid of losing cool points. Lighten up, folks. I hate cheesy music like most of us on here, but this is far from that like some would argue on RA. Will the masses attract to it like flies to ? Absolutely. Does it disparage electronic dance music? I think not.
You hit the nail right on the head. Underground people hAte when the type of sounds they like go mainstream and succeed. This album is so far from edm cheese. Good times is the only track I will say is very enh.... I would bet 95% of ra uses don't even know where thst sample came from. Loud places sounds radio but I'm not even gonna lie I do like they the xx sound when I'm in the mood for it. B
OrangestO
quote:
Originally posted by Faceplant
Loud places sounds radio

If I were a DJ, I'd totally use it as a closer when I saw fit.

Like c'mon. Who doesn't picture it?
OrangestO
I must be a Packer fan now that I said that.
OrangestO
Another reason I love this album so much is that I can write and freestyle to it like nothing.

is on point. Might even record a mixtape to it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement