return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Workout Thread?
View this Thread in Original format
Alex
I can't use the search function for whatever reason.

Looking to start working out again and would like to know good ways to get cardio and upper body strength training for someone in a wheelchair.

So basically what I'm getting at is seated exercises.

Willing to invest in some equipment but would really like the advice of the c0rians that know their when it comes to exercise.
Watts
Hey, I'd recommend these for cardio:

- speed bag or heavy bag
- hand pedal machine
- swimming (if you have pool access)

and these for upper body strength:
- dead hang pull-ups
- seated military press
- dips

I'm not sure what kind of equipment you have access to now, but you can do the seated military press and possibly pull-ups/dips in a power rack since some of them come with a movable bars:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Adjusta...y/dp/B00GJ1K4W8
Alex
Thanks man!

I guess I should add that my hands and arms are extremely weak from the same bull that put me in the wheelchair.

I need to start VERY slow/light and work my way up.
Watts
You could start off with this throughout the day:
http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-gr...h/dp/B008NQ9U6I

and then maybe down the road these first two wrist curls for your forearms (I do these seated):
http://www.leehayward.com/exercises/forearms/index.htm

I've also seen the hand pedal machine used during physical therapy, but I'm not licensed in any of this. I can only go off of what I've personally experienced.
Sushipunk
Damn Alex, what put you in a wheelchair? That's pretty rough mate.
Big Worm
quote:
Originally posted by Alex
I can't use the search function for whatever reason.

Looking to start working out again and would like to know good ways to get cardio and upper body strength training for someone in a wheelchair.

So basically what I'm getting at is seated exercises.

Willing to invest in some equipment but would really like the advice of the c0rians that know their when it comes to exercise.

OP, wheel chair users tend to have very developed pecs with mismatch to posterior musculature. You have to protect your shoulders.

This article has great information with regards to exercises you should do to protect your shoulder....

http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/9...5.full.pdf+html

Also, it should be worth noting that any exercises that you do to strengthen the pecs, anterior delts, etc, you need to strengthen your back 3 x over.

For example, 1 set of 10 for the pecs, you do 3 sets of 10 for posterior direction (rhomboids, posterior delts)

Do you know how to wheel correctly?
SYSTEM-J
Can't really offer much advice on the wheelchair issue beyond what's already been stated. On a general fitness tip I've been pretty active recently: running a couple of times a week as well as playing football on weekends. I'm trying to build my distance running up beyond the half marathon mark - I'd like to get up to about 20 miles by the end of the year if possible.

One downside of all the running is that the toenails on my second toe of each foot are turning black and falling off. I saw a chiropodist and they said it's perfectly normal, but it looks absolutely rank. Also, I'm not sure how painful the falling-off process is supposed to be. I don't really want one to come loose midway through a run and leave me in horrible pain.
Vector A
Lol, I have to admire the commitment of distance runners. Something makes my toenails fall off, I'm stopping it right away.
Jon_Snow
I have a friend in a chair he prefers swimming primarily.
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
Lol, I have to admire the commitment of distance runners. Something makes my toenails fall off, I'm stopping it right away.

I know this is going to start a massive flame war, but it's actually a sign of how ing bad running if for you. I'm not talking about toenails being the downside - I'm talking about knees and hips, and every person that i know who has been an avid runner pays for it by the time they're 40 and wishes they'd done something else exercise wise. Knee surgery 'aint fun and neither is having limited mobility for the rest of your life.

It's one thing if you're competing (every athlete expects injuries or to sacrifice something for their sport) but for exercise? You have to be ing bonkers.

Looney4Clooney
Lol

Not to mention how daft most people running look with their hands flailing like tinker bells. Skip rope for 5 minutes amd you will get your running workout amd if you practice at home look like you might be a bad ass boxer or just someone that loves to skip.

White people need to take lessons on how to run.
SYSTEM-J
Everything in moderation.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement