return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Windows 10
View this Thread in Original format
Jon_Snow
Anyone see the news that new generation cpus will only run on Windows 10. I can't say it effects me but I can't help but feel Microsoft has gone too far in their campaign to shove 10 down your throat.
MSZ
Well Direct X12 is exclusive to Win 10 and that was launched back in July. I wonder whats gonna happen in China, since they have their own government-backdoored operating system they're trying to roll out.
Jon_Snow
It's odd that they've obsoleted 8.1 considering it's only a couple of years old.
junkproject
quote:
Originally posted by Jon_Snow
Anyone see the news that new generation cpus will only run on Windows 10. I can't say it effects me but I can't help but feel Microsoft has gone too far in their campaign to shove 10 down your throat.
Not true at all, it has to do with new enterprise machine and tech support. All new machines with the new cpu using windows older than 10 will only have 18 month support in enterprise.It has zero to do with consumer or new cpu not able to run older version of windows.

Did you read this news from Engadget? It was horrible butchered article.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...ire-windows-10/
Jon_Snow
quote:
Originally posted by junkproject
Not true at all, it has to do with new enterprise machine and tech support. All new machines with the new cpu using windows older than 10 will only have 18 month support in enterprise.It has zero to do with consumer or new cpu not able to run older version of windows.

Did you read this news from Engadget? It was horrible butchered article.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...ire-windows-10/

Must have been. I get most of my news off my phone using google news link.

Terrible journalism if you can call it that. Misleading subject lines to get you to click then patch work of copy paste paragraphs while being bombarded with popup ads.
AmberLea
Dislike Windows 10.
Sushipunk
I've been thinking of putting it on my laptop, but still haven't gotten around to it. I'm still on Windows 7, and honestly, I'm perfectly happy with it as an operating system.
Singularity55
It was a bit buggy in the first month that it came out, but it's been pretty good since then. It's even faster than windows 8.1. It doesn't really have much new going for it over 8 than speed, but 8 introduced a lot of very useful features.
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
I've been thinking of putting it on my laptop, but still haven't gotten around to it. I'm still on Windows 7, and honestly, I'm perfectly happy with it as an operating system.

There's no real need to change from 7 other than the inevitable lack of support somewhere down the line. That being said, 10 is a very solid OS.
Trance-M
Since November you can install W10 using W7 codes without doing an upgrade but a clean install.
At work I think I'll even image some Win7 pc's, then install W10 to register the key while it's still free and put the image back.
It annoys me that I have more difficulty to find certain settings, maybe just a matter of time to get used. Looks like two layers on top of each other. I still prefer XP were I just knew to find it all, I don't need all the fancy looks.
As W10 is supported much longer switching to W10 still is the best option. It's quick and stable.

Zoso
I have 10 on a Asus Zenbook UX305 at home, but nothing at work yet. I have no real complaints about speed/functionality with 10. The Zenbook has a 256GB SSD along with 8GB of RAM, and it boots in like 5 seconds.

My only real gripe about 10 is this: me, why does everything now have to be so chatty with/dependent on "the cloud"? I guess it's the old "get off my lawn"/cynical bastard in me, but I don't want to depend on the cloud. I grew up in a time when all your data was local and transferred mostly by sneaker-net. There will be a part of me that will always hold on to that and distrust the cloud. Hell, I don't even use Netflix for streaming. I'm a physical disc guy. It's silly, I admit, but in my mind as long as the player spins up and the TV powers on I'm good. I doubt I will ever shed the notion in my mind that at any given time "the cloud" could become unreliable or just "go away". YES, THIS IS SILLY.

The other gripe I have about 10 is how MS is just throat ing everyone on this upgrade. OMG J00 NEED IT, BABY! Let me nag you multiple times per day! It just feels to me like there's an ulterior motive somewhere. I hate to be all conspiracy minded, but I'll kiss your ass and give you 2 weeks to draw a crowd if there isn't some sort of law enforcement "back door" in 10 for decryption purposes or something of that nature. Granted, this could be true of ANY operating system or program. If you can't read assembly language, then you don't know wtf is in any program, so this is not unique to Win 10 being closed source. Hell, Redhat Linux could be full of back doors for all I know, as I can't read a line of code. I dunno...10 just feels strange to me.

I'll go back to my basement, which is wrapped in tin foil, now.
Jon_Snow
From what I understand Microsoft wants to use 10 as a platform to sell you things ie Apple's app store. It might go as far as the Google model that tracks what you do then sends targeted ads based on your activities to suggest things you might like to purchased.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement