return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion

Pages: [1] 2 
Jack Moss - The Dead Laptop Blues [Progressive Tech]
View this Thread in Original format
SYSTEM-J
So, I managed to squeeze one last mix out of my laptop before taking it out behind the shed and putting a sympathetic bullet between its circuit boards. I've been pretty prolific recently, so apologies if it feels like I'm ting a mix out every five minutes. There probably won't be another one for a while, what with the whole laptop thing.

This is a continuation of the techy-proggy-melodic sound I've been playing in Pressure Point and Things I Can't Understand, getting down to business rather more quickly than the last one. This is the kind of stuff I've been dancing to this year, and it's very much where my head is at as we end 2016.

01. Groove Armada - Shameless (Chaim Remix) [Moda Black]
02. Kastis Torrau & Arnas D - Eye (Robert R Hardy Remix) [Sound Avenue]
03. Arnas D - Feeling [Click]
04. Death On The Balcony - Synthetic Senses [Dikso]
05. Chymera - Screenshot In Technicolour [Outpost]
06. Symbol & Noir - Glass (Raw Club Cut) [Noir]
07. Khen - Never Lose Your Innocence [Sudbeat]
08. Cid Inc. - Moonstruck [Sudbeat]
09. Habischman - Endless Tunnel [Global Underground]
10. Trentemoller - Sunstroke [Poker Flat]
11. Dave Seaman - Nightfalls (Lee Van Dowski Zero Dark Forty Remix) [Selador]
12. Boss Axis - Riviera (Microtrauma Remix) [Parquet]
13. Rex The Dog - Teufelsberg [Kompakt]
14. Oliver Schories - Bombay Sunrise (Microtrauma Remix) [Parquet]
15. Oscar Halgado - Al Andalus (Luke Porter Remix) [System]
16. Guy J - Candyland (King Unique Remix) [Bedrock]
17. Interaxxis - Everyday Is Like Now [Plattenbank]
18. Pig&Dan - The Saint (Job San) (Lee Van Dowski Remix) [Elevate]
19. Marc Romboy - Elgur (Dosem Remix) [Systematic]
20. Thylacine - Train (Michael Mayer Remix) [Intuitive]
21. BOg - Rakuten [Bedrock]
22. Marc Romboy - Counting Comets (Ruede Hagelstein Remix) [Bedrock]
Mr Game+Watch
*Goes to TA to look for a new mix to listen to while doing some major house cleaning*

*Sees System J has posted a new prog tech mix*

SORTED!
OrangestO
Was looking for new mixes last night and listened to the Things I Can't Understand melodic mix.

I can't offer an in-depth review, but I did enjoy it.

Will check this one out sometime today :)
Lews
Can you just hold up until I finally put-out my 'Only Fort Romeau' Genre Challenge Mix :o
ziptnf
In fo sho.
Godking5
Thank you for your mixes. Big fan . Dont stop
SYSTEM-J
quote:
Originally posted by Godking5
Thank you for your mixes. Big fan . Dont stop

Thanks! No plans to stop, I just need to fork out for a new laptop before I can record any more.

This mix is getting love from my friends but seemingly total apathy from TAs. This makes me sad.
ziptnf
This was pretty good, man. Some really nice tunes on here. You came out on fire and had some solid tempo & energy for the first 95 minutes or so but then you (as you have tended to do recently) really kind of drifted off into your more introspective atmosphere with a lower energy level, and tapered off toward the end. Perhaps what this mix needed to stand out from your others was to finish off with that same groove and energy and really put a stamp on there.

Other than those minor points, I really enjoyed a number of the tunes here mate. I was chair-raving like mad for the first bit there. My favorite track was definitely Guy J - Candyland (King Unique Remix).

Nice one, looking forward to you getting a new laptop and putting out some more mixes for us! No apathy here just no time anymore :(
SYSTEM-J
Thanks man. I know the mellow endings aren't to everyone's tastes, but I personally like it when a DJ slows it down a little at the end of their sets, and it's something I enjoy doing. Next time I might vary it up a bit.

And you are one of the most frequent listeners to my sets, so not sweat there. I just remember when you could get 40 replies easily on a set, whereas now 10-15 is a good achievement. The slow, sad decline of TA.
JonDC
Right then, I told you a review was in the post. This mix is very very good. It starts strong with some superb baselines and vocals, which continues for a good 45 minutes. The mix takes a brief step down, but only to set up the highlight of the set for my money, which is Dave Seaman - Nightfalls (Lee Van Dowski Zero Dark Forty Remix), which is going to feature heavily in my warm up sets. Things pick up again in the early part of the second half with Luke Porter and King Unique. As Zip say's, the mix chills right out at the end, but the tunes to retain some serious class

What I loved about this is the balance between 'credible / trendy' and 'musical content'. Usually when I go and see someone playing tech house it's boring as and nothing happens; not the case here. Plenty of moments and memorable elements in every single track, as well as a some real gems.

The second strong point is how well you spread out the climaxes. This set doesn't just build and build like the sets I'm used to, and nor should it. It was therefore important that you kept the highlights coming without disrupting the flow. Every time I felt like the mix was starting to get a bit repetitive, something really strong came in

Last point you are a ing idiot

Yes, that's right!

You have a great ear for a really popular sound, and yet have never bothered pushing youself to DJ out in clubs, playing to crowds. You would be playing at awesome gigs and getting paid good money for it too, if you weren't such a wally

Lews
:stongue::stongue::stongue:
SYSTEM-J
quote:
Originally posted by JonDC
The mix takes a brief step down, but only to set up the highlight of the set for my money, which is Dave Seaman - Nightfalls (Lee Van Dowski Zero Dark Forty Remix), which is going to feature heavily in my warm up sets.

Yes, I was completely confident you'd be nicking this. I can only hope you'll be playing it at the very end of your warm-up though!

Generally, I did have a feeling this would be the kind of current stuff you could get behind. I've been consistently amazed over the last year or two how many records are coming out of "cool" labels and being played by "cool" DJs that sound exactly like what I want to play, and it's just a case of mixing them up with that classic progressive sensibility. I hoped you'd enjoy this one and I'm glad you did.

quote:
Last point you are a ing idiot

Yes, that's right!

You have a great ear for a really popular sound, and yet have never bothered pushing youself to DJ out in clubs, playing to crowds. You would be playing at awesome gigs and getting paid good money for it too, if you weren't such a wally

Funnily enough, I'm in the process of upgrading my gear to have a "performable" live setup. My mate has been pushing me to do some B2B sessions with him, and he's gifted me a spare digital controller just as my old laptop has bit the dust. So I am going to have a bash at it, rather than just doing the meticulously planned sequencer sets.

As for getting gigs and ... This sound isn't actually very big in Leeds, where monotonous deep/tech for the 21 year olds is all the rage, hence why I'm always travelling to Manchester or London to catch DJs I like. And I really don't have the patience, the persistence or the arse-puckering skills to get in with local promoters. If I ever land a gig outside a chill out room it will be nice, but I've got so many other unrealised goals to push for in life that doing the whole aspiring DJ routine doesn't appeal.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement