return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Your go to character EQ for different tasks
View this Thread in Original format
djnitride
While I was learning how to do basic EQ stuff, I generally stuck to the included EQ of whatever DAW I was using, not using any sort of fancy analog emulation but just simply trying to get mixing right. Although I am no means an expert mixer now, I feel like I made enough progress to try out some character EQ to spice up my sound a little. Was wondering what your personal goto character EQ's are and what you use them for.

I have been using Solid EQ (SSL) which is included in Komplete and quite like the sound, which seems transparent but with a type of coloring that is subtle but present, especially at higher input levels.

Also have Sominus Burnley 73 (Neve) which I quite like the preamp saturation on, but I generally found that I have no idea what I am doing with it and get better results with Solid EQ.

Final one I have is Sie-Q from Soundtoys 5 Bundle, but I havn't played around with it too much yet.

So what are your favorite character EQ's for different tasks?
evo8
Mostly use Live built in EQ - sometimes on the mixbus Ill use UAD Pultecs, it really is a nice sound
I like the UAD Trident for 80hz bump on my kicks, sometimes for more edgy midrange than the Pultec and occasionally use Harrison EQ on midbass type stuff

I wouldnt get too hung up on millions of EQs, just pick some you really like and in combination with DAW EQs that should be enough
cryophonik
I use FabFilter Pro-Q for 90% of my EQ needs. It's not what I would consider a character/color EQ, but I generally don't rely on EQ for that purpose. Instead, I rely on compression, saturation, and my go-to channel strip plugins - i.e., Waves RenChannel and SSL channels - for color.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement