return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

can you isolate vocals from a song ?
View this Thread in Original format
LoveHate
i want this sample but only the vocals aspect of it, is there a way to eq something where it sounds almost acapella ?

how did the 90's house producers do it ??
the-sixth
You can get close with an instrumental version of the track, invert it and make sure its in complete sync.

It should cancel out enough of the music to leave a workable acapella
cryophonik
You can get decent results by using the center channel extractor in Adobe Audition (or something similar) to create a non-vocals version, then use the phase-invert approach mentioned above to isolate the vocals from the original (i.e., phase invert the original and non-vocals version to cancel out everything except the vocals). You may have to make both versions mono in order to minimize the remaining center channel frequencies.

I've also been able to isolate vocals using spectral editing (noise profiling) in Izotope RX, but didn't spend enough time to get great results.
the-sixth
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
You can get decent results by using the center channel extractor in Adobe Audition (or something similar) to create a non-vocals version, then use the phase-invert approach mentioned above to isolate the vocals from the original (i.e., phase invert the original and non-vocals version to cancel out everything except the vocals). You may have to make both versions mono in order to minimize the remaining center channel frequencies.

I've also been able to isolate vocals using spectral editing (noise profiling) in Izotope RX, but didn't spend enough time to get great results.

Izotope is a great tool for noise reduction, vinyl rips can sound like CD clean using that very impressive software. Clever to try it for an acapella never thought of it but certainly could work if you had a instrumental I think.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement