return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Other > Political Discussion / Debate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 
Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze.. (pg. 7)
View this Thread in Original format
AnotherWay83
quote:
Originally posted by Gourhellyea
kurt vonnegut is also amazing, i would highly recommend slaughterhouse five.

i hated catch-22, what did you guys see in it?

catch-22 was hilarious!! i remember how much i kept on laughing when reading that book...my fave character==Milo :D

slaughterhouse 5 is a good book, yes.
TranceGiant
So I'm about to buy the famous "Godel, Escher, Bach" book. Any1 here ready it yet?
Renegade
How did you go with Nausea?
TranceGiant
Im ashamed to say that I gave up on page 30. I swore to get back to it at some point but right now I wasnt too fascinated with a weird guy who loves nothing more than touching dirty, wet pieces of paper :conf: I know there'd be some "sense" unfolding later on..but bah..not now :o
Renegade
Yeah, I was going to say, it's not really an "introduction" to existentialism. You probably need a good grounding (and interest!) in existentialism/phenomenology to get the most out of it.

But seriously, I reccomend you try and read it again and take good notice of the way Roquentin (the main character) sees things, especially later on. It's a bit slow, but Satres writing style is brilliant imho and if you know what you're meant to be looking for, it's pretty easy to look at the world in a completely different way once you've finished. :)
Highmay
saudi arabia and the politics of dissent...

the psychological assessment of political leaders ...edited by jerrold m. post, md

and..

the satanic verses...by salman rushdie
DaveSaenz
COSMOS BY CARL SAGAN (astronomy/philosophy)

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges (literature)

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (lit)

:toothless
Konijn Island
quote:
Originally posted by DaveSaenz
COSMOS BY CARL SAGAN (astronomy/philosophy)

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges (literature)

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (lit)

:toothless

you underlined the book titles--how fastidious of you :eyes:
Spin Doctor
I was going to post in this thread before but never got around to reading through the whole thing to see if my suggestions had all ready been post. Here’s what I recommend, in no particular order:

Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
Details the woes of fast food with out just being an anti-McDonalds rant. If you’ve ever eaten or plan on continuing to eat fast food, give this a read.

Them – John Ronson
John Ronson is an “investigative journalist” similar in style to Louis Theroux (sp??). This book is about his dealings with extremists from all walks of life. Islamic, Neonazi etc etc.

Candide –Voltare
This, despite being an C18th book, is still highly amusing and very relevant. It’s the tale of Candide’s adventures around the world – however it’s not the adventures themselves which are important, it’s what things represent and what you learn from inference in the dialogue between the people. Apparently Voltare had a lockup in the Bastille because of this book which at the time really set the cat among the pigeons.

Currently I’m reading Stupid White Men by Michael Moor. Though I don’t agree with all he says and all his ideas, on the whole it’s very good. The “Dow wow wow” chapter, is incredibly accurate and I particularly liked the list of Bushes “achievements” in office. Makes me glad I don’t live in America, yet also makes me worry that the UK doesn’t end up the same way.
CortexBomb
quote:
Originally posted by Spin Doctor
Currently I’m reading Stupid White Men by Michael Moor. Though I don’t agree with all he says and all his ideas, on the whole it’s very good. The “Dow wow wow” chapter, is incredibly accurate and I particularly liked the list of Bushes “achievements” in office. Makes me glad I don’t live in America, yet also makes me worry that the UK doesn’t end up the same way.[/COLOR]

I like Michael Moore a lot (a Michigan guy makes good! Yay :toocool: ) and love his films, especially Roger & Me and Bowling for Columbine...but....

I dislike the way he comes across in his books. His message is the right one, but when he refers to Bush Jr. as "the Thief in Chief" for one easy example, he makes a point, but at the cost of credibility.

To me he ends up sounding like nothing more than the US left wing version of Rush Limbaugh, and as such he can be taken less seriously than he should be.

CortexBomb
quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
Look into the "Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion" if you want something sketchy to ruminate over.

Extremely important work for anyone interested in studying the Holocaust/Shoah as well...this book was widespread in Germany and Europe during the Nazi time period and was one of the things that Hitler and the rest of the NSDAP knew of, believed in, and referenced regularly....
trancendental
The Bet, Anton Chekhov. Short read can be found on the net.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 
Privacy Statement