return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Lira (e os outros lusófonos)
View this Thread in Original format
Vector A
What kind of Brazilian accent is this? The syllable-final Rs sound like American ones, lol.

wotyzoid
Sp state, not city.
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
What kind of Brazilian accent is this? The syllable-final Rs sound like American ones, lol.

Woty's right on the money - it's what we call the "Caipira Dialect". Odds are she's from the São Paulo state, but the accent extends a little further than that:

The Caipira dialect extends through huge swathes of the "midsouth", from São Paulo to Mato Grosso. And the "American R" is one of its most peculiar traits. According to every single source I've read, it stems from the local Tupi languages, which have (well, had) it, but I don't know of a single language like that. Some speakers also replace syllable-final Ls with this sound (rhoticisation of laterals is quite widespread in Portuguese, although vocalisation in coda position is much more common on this side of the Atlantic).

It's cute, that's for sure :p
Lira
Oh, on the topic of the video, let me summarise what (I think) she says (because I didn't watch the whole thing :p).

We don't really use the "Pretérito Mais-Que-Perfeito Simples", and I don't think the Portuguese are fond of using it either. If you say "Ela já saíra quando eu cheguei" for "She had already left when I arrived", you'll sound like a writer from the 18th century. Feel free to write like that in legal documents though. Always use the "Préterito Mais-Que-Perfeito Composto" with the verb "ter" and it'll sound natural, so "Ela já tinha saído quando eu cheguei" is exactly how a native would say that. If you use the verb "haver", you'll get your point across, but it'll sound a bit too formal.

There are some exceptions, such as "dera" and "pudera", both in the "PMQP Simples", when they mean "I wish", as in "Quem me dera eu pudesse fazer isso!" or "Pudera eu fazer isso!" (I wish I could do that!)... but they're fixed idioms that don't make much sense if taken literally.
Vector A
I figured the form was probably antiquated since the other Romance languages I know don't even have a simple pluperfect preterite anymore. It surprised me when I saw it in a conjugation table because I had never seen or heard it yet. So I looked it up and found this video with the funky-sounding accent.
wotyzoid
Yeah I forget some people here in minas talk like that, too. A lot more common than I thought judging by the map.
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
I figured the form was probably antiquated since the other Romance languages I know don't even have a simple pluperfect preterite anymore. It surprised me when I saw it in a conjugation table because I had never seen or heard it yet. So I looked it up and found this video with the funky-sounding accent.

Coincidentally, I think the Brazilian confederates (Southerners who fled the civil war and settled in São Paulo state) probably speak like that. It's just a coincidence though, and I really hoped they went to the North-East instead, because their accent is much more fun to listen to :D
quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
Yeah I forget some people here in minas talk like that, too. A lot more common than I thought judging by the map.

To this day I'm surprised to hear people that sound like that and come from the weirdest places. Our neighbour in Manaus was a girl from Rondônia, and she spoke like the quintessential caipira.

It was cute, that's for sure :p
wotyzoid
I like the way people from Sp capital talk the most. Girls that call you "meu". That's hot.
Lira
quote:
I like the way people from Sp capital talk the most. Girls that call you "meu". That's hot.

Not only will I second that...
Lira
quote:

... but I'll quote you twice so I can third is as well.

Of course, I like my wife's accent better, but it's an objective fact that the accent from the capital is a second close :)

Vector A
A couple months ago I created a Portuguese language meetup. Just talked with a guy who had this accent earlier this evening.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement