return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Apogee Duet comes to PC
View this Thread in Original format
tehlord
Kinda out of the blue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvDw6i07K_Q

Not sure if it'd sway me from a Babyface Pro, but good to have another small form factor 'proper' interface for PC/laptop use.

Actually, this would be ideal for my Xeon powered Precision 5520....
alanzo
Oh how nice and needed six years ago. :haha: I wonder what kind of under-the-table deal Apple handed them to completely forget a huge chunk of their market.
tehlord
Still don't think it would drag me away from an RME interface though.
Mel David
Paying Apogee for hardware exclusivity is kind of null though, considering you can get 2nd hand Macs powerful enough to record audio for $40-$99. If you really wanted to use their ADCs you go this route then transfer the recorded audio to your PC workstation.
Mel David
quote:
Originally posted by Zak McKracken
when did all bedroom studios start looking like a childs playroom?

It's a compromise. 88-key master keyboard, check. Not a workstation. However, I still have my trusty old XP-50! Not worth selling for what it would fetch. So I hold onto it as a video prop.
I still have my very first mixer, a Behringer 1602a. WTF do I need 32 channels for? I always told myself if I need more channels, then I'll get another mini-mixer to use as a sub-mixer. If the thing ever needs repair, the small unit is cheaper to ship.
My audio interface and A3000 are screwed into a rack.

People's purchasing these days are heavily influenced by, um, influencers. Yes, that is a proper occupation these days. Back in the old days, influencers were what your mum told you not to hang out with because they were a bad influence. One particular 'influencer' I follow, was recently nominated for Forbes 30 Under 30.

tehlord
quote:
Originally posted by Mel David

People's purchasing these days are heavily influenced by, um, influencers. Yes, that is a proper occupation these days. Back in the old days, influencers were what your mum told you not to hang out with because they were a bad influence. One particular 'influencer' I follow, was recently nominated for Forbes 30 Under 30.

This is depressingly true.

The most recent Arturia hardware release was mirrored by an embargo lifted flurry of '5 reasons why you need this' videos on Youtube.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with cheap but functional gear, but when shareholders of larger companies get involved, it comes at the cost of more professional 'proper' gear. Roland for example, could easily create a killer 16 voice analogue poly, or even a killer 128 voice digital dream maker (like they used to), but instead the create Boutique versions of their greatest hits and they sell like hotcakes.
tehlord
It's all about profit margin unfortunately, that metric rules all. They are happy to absolutely destroy a killer feature if it means an extra 0.4% profit.

Elektron actually went down this road too when they swapped from square button to round ones as round buttons are cheaper to punch out of a metal chassis.

If you watch something like Dragons Den, it gives you the briefest glimpse of how a company works once it gets to a certain size. Everything is about percentages.

I'm actually surprised that Roland make the SE-02, albeit as a boutique sized model with constrained features and controls.
SynthNinja
I'm with palm on this one, mini jack oh why?
Mel David
They transmit audio & MIDI through USB. I think these days, USB ports are much cheaper than 1/4" jack sockets that have to be soldered onto PCBs then flush-mounted to the panels. If you wanted balanced sockets, forget about it. It's a tiny unit, no space.
SynthNinja
Then no purchase, simple as that.

tehlord
quote:
Originally posted by Mel David
They transmit audio & MIDI through USB. I think these days, USB ports are much cheaper than 1/4" jack sockets that have to be soldered onto PCBs then flush-mounted to the panels. If you wanted balanced sockets, forget about it. It's a tiny unit, no space.

They don't do the USB/audio thing properly though. You have to select the Boutique as your audio interface to do that, which is almost pointless unless you use aggregate devices and all the hassle that that brings.
SynthNinja
Another note, usb audio blows because you have use the flimsy chips on the boutique full round trip rather that just half boutique and half high end interface conversion, like us RME and Apogee users.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement