return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

midi 2.0
View this Thread in Original format
SystematicX1
Mel David
Yeah, I seen that. Looking forward to it because of this issue:

"MIDI CC and Note messages have a resolution of 7 bits, (0-127). The resolution of a single DMX channel is 8 bits (0-255). Therefore, if you control DMXIS using MIDI CCs or Notes, you will not get the full resolution available. This could manifest itself as jerky movements of scanners & moving heads, for example. The solution (if available on your MIDI controller) is to use high resolution 14-bit MIDI NRPN messages to control DMXIS."

Also you shouldn't need two cables for MIDI In & Out.

Dave Smith invented MIDI yo. It's testament to how good an engineer he is that it took so long before they decided it needs an overhaul. Yamaha tried to upgrade it with their MLAN but nothing like this will take off if is a proprietary tech.
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by Mel David
Yeah, I seen that. Looking forward to it because of this issue:

"MIDI CC and Note messages have a resolution of 7 bits, (0-127). The resolution of a single DMX channel is 8 bits (0-255). Therefore, if you control DMXIS using MIDI CCs or Notes, you will not get the full resolution available. This could manifest itself as jerky movements of scanners & moving heads, for example. The solution (if available on your MIDI controller) is to use high resolution 14-bit MIDI NRPN messages to control DMXIS."

Also you shouldn't need two cables for MIDI In & Out.

Completely agree, not least because MIDI used a 5 pin din connector but only uses three of the damn conductors in the cable. It was always meant to be expanded and don't forget it was launched in the 80's but they never got their together.

I never understood why they didn't just use the other two pins for bi directional communication and make it backwards compatible. Sure, I get that USb came along with a different realy of bandwidth but the connection isn't good for touring/long runs and requires and active computer rather than a $2 pcb.
tehlord
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

Sure, I get that USb came along with a different realy of bandwidth but the connection isn't good for touring/long runs and requires and active computer rather than a $2 pcb.

Also, USB often s up the midi data by 'packeting' it up rather than being a constant data stream like midi.

Midi needs it's own connection protocol as computer based formats are so liable to alteration and incompatibility issues. Not to mention absurd pricing in the case of TB cables.
MSZ
quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
ot to mention absurd pricing in the case of TB cables.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/04/w...-will-converge/
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by MSZ
https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/04/w...-will-converge/

Cunts.

Apple broke the law in several places in the world by refusing to conform to established standards (USB 2, USB 3 etc) and brought out their own proprietary connector and an array of over priced dongles.

Instead of complying with the court orders, they just lobbied the out of the authorities to make them build USB4 to be compatible to Thunderbolt.
tehlord
At 30 per cable.

Double, triple ****s.
Mel David
Thunderbolt docks & hard drives cases are $300. Audio interfaces are $1000. That's were you take it up the butt. And I don't like it up the butt unless you are Natalie Portman's tongue.

I've never owed a Thunderbolt device despite being on Mac since G4 & OS 9 days. Have only purchased a Thunderbolt>Firewire & a Thunderbolt>DVI adapter cable to interface with non-⚡️ devices and in each case I just got a third-party one from eBay for cheap and they work fine.

But yeah 🍎 are screwing people with iPhone interconnects by making them fragile as a butterfly's wings.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement