return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

It's 2020. Is Trance Dead Yet?
View this Thread in Original format
cryophonik
Yeah, serious question. :D

Honestly, being old af, I haven't really kept up with anything in the dance world for a while, but the last few days I've been listening to a 2019 vocal trance mix while struggling not to die on the elliptical trainer. Anyway, it all sounds like the stuff I was listening to 15 years ago, supersaws everywhere, dreamy and ethereal, etc. Are people still listening to this style and playing it in clubs? I thought it was all replaced by this new brand of festival EDM...
Mel David
🦉 This should have been a poll. Isn't the US behind Europe when it comes to underground dance genres? Once the hip-hop fans get sick of the same beats, it's a natural progression to vocal trance. If you're a vocal trance producer, without the backing of a major label to pimp your stuff, it's hard to get popular. So it never died as it was always an underground scene. The hardstyle genre is still popular & that sound hasn't changed either.

Retro 80s seem to be getting popular now. Just listen to Dua Lipa's latest stuff. So expect trance to get popular again in a decade or so. Also I think disco may be making a comeback.
tehlord
Trance is still being made and released, but it tends to be wall of sound tech trance for the most part. There's a small group of people doing it now like David Rust, Adam Ellis, Allen Watts and Amir Hussain.

Guys like Airbase and Daniel Kandi are still knocking out more oldskool sounding tracks though.
SystematicX1
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Yeah, serious question. :D

Honestly, being old af, I haven't really kept up with anything in the dance world for a while, but the last few days I've been listening to a 2019 vocal trance mix while struggling not to die on the elliptical trainer. Anyway, it all sounds like the stuff I was listening to 15 years ago, supersaws everywhere, dreamy and ethereal, etc. Are people still listening to this style and playing it in clubs? I thought it was all replaced by this new brand of festival EDM...

Thinkin about getting back in and changing up the game Dave?
I don't know. I don't even think I know what Trance is anymore these days. Listening to Anjuna stuff and just like tehlord said, this wall of sound stuff just kills my ears
evo8
gotta bring some dynamics back into the music, just mho
Lucidity
Lately I’ve been listening to giuseppe ottaviani and some others, I’m still into it and working on a trance album now with all of my new toys. I don’t think it will die, evolve maybe, not die.
cryophonik
Weird, the new default for visible threads made me look back and I found this thread that I started over a year ago! Guess I forgot about it.

Interesting to know that it’s still alive and kicking underground. Too bad TA isn’t doing as well. :( :tongue3
szm
im getting back into trance of my highschool years, im getting nostalgic af. Similarly, It feels the same as I was in highschool its not getting a lot of action around me. I dont hear much crossover in pop music on radio, where as house and drum and bass, dubstep,its all over the place. In that aspect I think its pretty ing cool. Im satisfied re-listening to the classics.

If only I wasnt so memory deficient, I could remember more of them. Its a game pulling them out of the banks.
LoveHate
atxbigballer1
TRANCE ADDICT 4LIFE! 2022

TTS
I recommend personally Dj Ephex and Hyper Reality Records.
The selrction of tracks shows that there are tons of great tracks still.

https://www.facebook.com/djephexofficial
https://www.facebook.com/HyperRealityRecords/
Magnus
Trance will never die. I know we've all heard that before many times, but it will live in on our hearts and minds for all time. Nobody can ever take that away from us. Long live trance!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement