return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
too young for hard trance?
View this Thread in Original format
Acid John
i think yall know that im in 8th grade...and i spin hard trance.

im also on tha middle school student council...and they say that it would be ok if i mix at one of the school partys. (the party would be for 6th-8th grades)

but even in that other post...somethin like "worst dj night ever", even college students didnt like trance...and were all beggin for hip-hop.

so im thinkin from droppin the opprotunity b-cuz the rest of the school will probably just boo me off cuz they dont like techno(the laymen term for any electronic music)

the only other idea i got is to split the night of the party up between me and atleast one of the other hip-hop djs in the school.

so i would get somethin like an hour to spin, and my friend would take up another hour.
I think it's cool that you're thinking about what the crowd actually wants to hear. My advise would be to drop a few 'very recognizable commercial tracks' like ATB- 9pm,,, Dirty Vegas- Days Go By,,, etc. If people seem to be liking that then try some new quality tracks and see what happens :toocool:
Devbert
remember my college deal was west coast so I dont know how it works on the east coast.
musicaddict
yeah..6 and 8th graders..what do they know? and thats what sucks about djing..when u wanna mix what u like u know u'll be booed off coz where your spinning at peeps only listen to cheezy mainstream stuff that gets played over and over on the radio.

just do what 24K said..drop some stuff that everybody know i.e heaven, atb, etc. then drop in some of the stuff ulike..
musicaddict
quote:
Originally posted by musicaddict
yeah..6 and 8th graders..what do they know?

i never said u aite, acid john? hehe just the general 6/8 graders, u know what i mean.
Acid John
yea...i agree. the general 8th grader knows jack about djing.
jdat
play some *accesible* music if you know what I mean ( something that they'll *understand* )

and for the occasion don't be scared to play trance/house/techno and then a track of rap then more electronic

really it doesn't matter if you do it that way and that's what I'd suggest.

I'd say even go back to back with the hip hop djs like you do a couple tracks then one of them does a couple tracks then you hit it up again and so on

but if you go all the way *electronic* I think you'll scare them ( unless you play they might know .... or stuff that's really *accesible )
bassaholix
What i propose is.. start with the more commercial cheese... then slowly build ur way into more underground regions... if you sense a disturbance in the force.. then switch back...

hey man... 8th grader DJ is way cool.. cause u'll be famously remmebered in ur school and the chicks.. they dig DJ'z!!!

and who knows.. ppl who are into trance might come up to you later that you never knew liked trance b4...

so yeah.. up 2 U bRo
Project T
how old is 8th grade ?

most ppl will generally take the hard route in2 trance, like the cheesey hard house with synths kinda thing ;)
EbolaCola
East Coast is a lot worse. You have the ignorant tasteless teenage kids who blare hip hop and top 40 crap through the hallways at my school. On Wednesdays it's "Music on the air day" which basically means they play music on the P.A. while we switch classes. All they play is Top 40, and some even with the vulgar language in it, WTF!?!? The school allows this? Goddamn I hate some people.

djchamps
well in at that age

spin alot and heaps of CHEESE and all the mainstream stuff you hear on the radio, tv......etc......

but plenty of cheese for them :)
ampburner
OR play what you like and have a good time, the crowd! ;)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement