return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

need some advice on a dj gig
View this Thread in Original format
Haunted
got one this saturday
its a dance.. mostly 16-20 year olds there..
in America
new jersey to be exact
i wanna play some trance. thats all the records i got.. trance.. and some house
itll be 4 hours long,my friend is bringin cd player and he will play hip hop and all that crap.
but what kinda stuff should i play?

i got the new ghostland guide me god pvd mix vinyl.. and 45 vinyls.
but ill probably only end up bringin about 20-25
i got stuff like rapture deep dish,catch hiver and hammer,ligaya (which i prob wont play) mindcircus gabriel and dresden..the weapon grinder mix,dick van nille - outside (club mix), tic toc,ing society,lethal industry,flight 643,suburban train

so what stuff should i play? and what stuff should i not play?
Blake613
Start off with stuff you know they will like and slip trance in once in a while. Don't start off with it wait till the crowd gets into their groove then feel the crowd out.
Ekstasis
Gonna be kind of risky playing trance after hip hop especially in this area. I would stick with house. Maybe test the waters with something melodic, or cheesey. If its looking good, slowly work into it.
VoiDeT
Agreed. You also need to think about the type of crowd. Would they get offended by swearing or the like. If so take ing society out, even though it is a damn awesome track! i would just say get a feel of the crowd. While the hip hop loser dj is doin his mingle with the crowd and tell what they want. Are they energetic - hard house, are they bored and tired - don't risk djing. =) ohh and yes, do try house first, they would most deffinatly like that, chillout. .
Busy Child
with a crowd unpredictable as that, id bring A LOT more records.
Dj Fredzz
U might wanna start of w/ da cheese if those kids are not familiar w/ any of the records you got.

U definitly wanna start of first b/c if those kids like hip hop and the dude starts playin hiphop and they get into the grove then u bust in w/ a house set they will go crazy......:D
Acid Circus
Yeah, agree on the house with hip hop thing, but....

If you have 45 records and you are thinking of only taking half of those why?????????

You never know what situation might arise and that next killer tune is sitting at home gathering dust instead of destroying the dancefloor!
DJ Cubano
i used to do parties like that, THEY SUCK!!! I hate it when they come up to you while you're spinning and they're like, do you have any rap? I will never do that again, EVER!!!
Haunted
only half cuz im not gonna play stuff like svensen and gielen .. and rank 1.. and cosmic gate.. and push.
its an americna crowd
DJ_Shockwav
quote:
Originally posted by Haunted
only half cuz im not gonna play stuff like svensen and gielen .. and rank 1.. and cosmic gate.. and push.
its an americna crowd

you never know what's going to happen
there have been times where i'm eased into an electronica set with some mainstream stuff and just spur of the moment pulled an off the wall track that i'd only really ever think of playing at a rave, and the people went off to it

take with you want you have, then read the crowd
if they're digging the tunes, and are having a good time, ease into some better stuff
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement