return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

anyone know any traktor software manuals for mixing
View this Thread in Original format
Groover&Breaker
hi. i got the traktor dj software and i did couple of mixes and stuff but deleted them cuz the transitions were horrible. i played around with the features but i am still kind of confused on how to mix flawlessly on it. can someone give me tips or somethin. or i guess ill have to figure this by myself then. thx
Cyberwoo
Hey if I can figure Traktor out by myself anyone can. :) I started "mixing" a few months ago off and on and now I can make a mix that sounds really good. My transitions are spot on most of the time. I want to start messin around with filters now.

My advice is learn how to use the auto beatmatch properly (while the master is playing queue the next song and listen to it in the monitor speaker while holding down the beatmatching button and once you establish a good match then slowly crossfade over), learn how to count in rythm (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 *boom*...repeat), know your music well so you can pick good tracks to transition to and from, etc.. Also scout your tunes prior to mixing and setup queue points and whatnot. For example: Track 1 is playing and coming to an end. I start counting to the beat. 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 *boom*. See the boom? That represents (i dunno what the correct term is called) a new sound. Ok that sounds gay and like im a total n00b. Anyway what I'm tryin to say is think of the beats in groups of 4 (1,2,3,4). Normally songs have a 32 beat loop (or 8 groups of 4 if that makes sense) and then the *boom* followed by another 32 beat loop, etc. The end of these 32 beat loops can represent a change in direction that the song is goin (ie: a breakdown or adding a new sound, etc.). Does that make any sense? :) Anyway I'm sure you'll understand once you start counting properly. The point is to start track 2 at the beginning of one of these 32 beat loops just as track 1 is finishing one (this is why you scout your tunes...making sure the songs you pick are roughly around the same BPM and similar styles so they fit in nicely to the mix,setup queue points from which to go by...I also write down on paper the queue times of each song and whatnot..its just easier for me to keep track of). That way when you beatmatch and establish a good match you crossfade over you have a nice clean transition and the songs sound as one. Each song should be matched in accordance to their respective loops. If you have done this correctly you can let each song play on top of one another and it should sound nice and clean as if its one beat (1,2,3,4 and not 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4). Anyway I'm probably just confusing you even more or stating the obvious which you already know. At any rate I hope something I typed was of some use to you. :) Happy mixing.

Oh btw don't bother with Traktor 2.0 until you figure out the basics which are easier to learn in 1.xx. Peace.
Project T
lol, a manual how to mix, u can read about it, know the theory but the only way 2 really learn is by trial and error, in short, long hours learning really does pay off ;)
basd
quote:
Originally posted by Cyberwoo The point is to start track 2 at the beginning of one of these 32 beat loops just as track 1 is finishing one

Personally, I find it sounding much better when you use 64-beat steps..
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement