return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
start a set with??
View this Thread in Original format
CarlosM
Hi, i maybe will be spining at first time soon, I actually Spin Trance, but I do have some Techno records and Chill out records... I was thinking start with Trance and then Techno??... or first a little techno and then Trance??.... what do u think start a set with a chill out tune?.. like Solar Stone - Solarcoaster??

Any Comments or Suggestion please..

Thanks in Advance
bachatu
Carlos.... You will have to decide what would be best, cause depending on the situation, club, people, what you want to show the people.. things can be different
Where are you going to spin at? Are you going to be following after another djs set? If so, what type of music will he/she be spinning?
Is this a loungin type atmosphere or energitic?
As a dj, you will be the host of the night, and need to have control. Give the crowd what they will want to hear, but still control the tempo and throw in some of your own personal flavor. Relax, have fun.
To be honest, anyone at the forum cannot really tell you what is appropriate, because they wont be there... you will have to kind of learn through your experience, once you see for your self.
Give feedback on those questions that i asked, and maybe we can provide some advice to really help you decide whats best.

Peace,
Ricky
dj phu
I think thats a pretty good song to start off with carlos.
CarlosM
Thanks Guys for ur Opinions,

bachatu: U are right I will think and see.
DJ_Shockwav
quote:
Originally posted by bachatu
Carlos.... You will have to decide what would be best, cause depending on the situation, club, people, what you want to show the people.. things can be different
Where are you going to spin at? Are you going to be following after another djs set? If so, what type of music will he/she be spinning?
Is this a loungin type atmosphere or energitic?
As a dj, you will be the host of the night, and need to have control. Give the crowd what they will want to hear, but still control the tempo and throw in some of your own personal flavor. Relax, have fun.
To be honest, anyone at the forum cannot really tell you what is appropriate, because they wont be there... you will have to kind of learn through your experience, once you see for your self.
Give feedback on those questions that i asked, and maybe we can provide some advice to really help you decide whats best.

Peace,
Ricky

yes, ultimately YOU are the DJ...
you need to see how the crowd is going, and who you are playing after, what type of music they were playing and what sort of energy level you have to carry off of
or if you're starting, what sort of atmosphere you're playing in and that sort
or if you're playing after a headliner, then you might want to look at starting off strong and bring the energy down progressivly or keep the energy up if there is a dj playing after you
you make the decision, YOU are the DJ
jdat
I personnaly like to hit it hard on the first track

but this is all depends on your own style really :rolleyes:

and a good thing to do is to mix your track in with the previous record ( if there's a dj spinning before you ) ..... I hate it whenever the upcoming dj just turns off the previous record. :p
Dj-Steve
Techno is not as happy and melodic as trance. I reccomend that you should start the set with some trance tracks, something with a nice intro like solarcoaster which you mentioned. No bassline at the beggining, just some strings and melody. Then proceed to some harder trance, in order to get the people moving, and if you want, end up your set with some techno. They won't understand a if your previous tracks were awesome! it works! :D
CarlosM
Thanks for all Suggestion.... and what about starting with this track:

Ayla - Ayla (Original Taucher Remix) ??

The Intro is very good... but maybe the track is too fast to start a set ??....

just a dude about this track...

Thx
Dj-Steve
quote:
Originally posted by CarlosM

Ayla - Ayla (Original Taucher Remix) ??

The Intro is very good... but maybe the track is too fast to start a set ??....

LMFAO! that's why does the pitch function exists... slow it down! :D
DJ_FRAZ
quote:
Originally posted by Dj-Steve
LMFAO! that's why does the pitch function exists... slow it down! :D

but some tunes sound WRONG if its slowed down, i think thats what he was meaning.

CarlosM
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FRAZ
but some tunes sound WRONG if its slowed down, i think thats what he was meaning.

Yeah, thats what I was meaning.
JohnSmith
*goes on and puts on ayla*

yep, that's a good one to start with, one i have used myself actually.

i prefer to start with a record that has a nice melodic beatless intro for two reasons.

one, it sounds nice for the crowd, to be brought slowly into the music before the beat drops and they need to start dancing (hopefully)

two because it's damn near impossible to mix those long beatless intros in and have them sound good, so you may as well play them at the beginning! (same goes for long beatless outros on the last track)

I hate it when a mix starts out with.

doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-doof, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, doof-tish, TISH

it's so boring.

then again, if you are mixing into a previous DJs set, i think it's good to keep the flow going, in which case i like to use a record that has a beat intro, but quickly dives into a melodic piece to signify that you have now taken the decks and are in control.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement