return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
8 Mile
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Chrono
I just saw this movie yesterday cause 007 was sold out.. anyways, I thought it was a decent movie, and I don't like either rap or eminem. But I question whether his life was really like what it was portrayed as in the film. Anyone else seen it?

(sorry if there has already been a thread on this, but I didnt notice any)
musicaddict
I havent seen the movie yet (prolly will go watch it this Thanksgivin)

8 Mile is a fiction movie, but it is based a little bit on eminem's life and where he was raised up. 8 Mile is the name of the street where Eminem grew up in Detroit.
sharpeye00
i havent seen it either, prolly wont. I heard some guy talking on bob and tom about it "just another movie to get white suburban kids to talk ghetto" heh.
djSlain
i heard that eminem was actually living in 6 mile
Mosaic
quote:
Originally posted by djSlain
i heard that eminem was actually living in 6 mile

I heard it was 4.73 mile!!!
Stanza
I'll probably see this one (whenever it comes out here, sometime in January next year, can you believe it?). Heard some positive comments on this one. Eminem can actually act. Not bad for his debut performance.
biznology
quote:
Originally posted by musicaddict
I havent seen the movie yet (prolly will go watch it this Thanksgivin)

8 Mile is a fiction movie, but it is based a little bit on eminem's life and where he was raised up. 8 Mile is the name of the street where Eminem grew up in Detroit.

no, hes not from 8 mile.

8 mile is the street that is considered the 'division' between Detroit, poor, and the suburbs, not as poor. He grew up in Warren, Mi which isnt even Detroit, and its not the ghetto but not very nice either - still pretty nasty.

but yah its fiction, and loosely based on his life events, but not very closely.

oh and some people think its gonna be some sweeping epic about his whole life...its not. its about Detroit and his desire to get out and win his battle rap. it takes place over about 3 days or something.

that being said, knowing Detroit better than most people i think this movie is excellent. im not from the city or even michigan, but alot of the innuendo, joking or commentary is encoded or discussing stuff that most people wouldnt catch immediately. MM is a good actor, alt its arguable how difficult it is to act about your career and life.

i actually would suggest it to anyone, tho i doubt everyone will like it. i thot it was interesting that after i saw the movie, seeing him perform was strange. cause hes always going for over the top in music, but never in this movie|
Trancified
BAH anybody that is unsure of their skin tone is a loser to me. Why would you claim to be from a ty area? Makes no sense to me, I mean my family started off on some rough streets in Shreveport , Louisiana and now are in a little better place in Houston. We are all moving after May, me to a nice area, my parents to the country. I don't claim that , and I'm white. It makes you look like poor white trash to me. Boycott M&M!!!!!!
InsomnEac
quote:
Originally posted by Trancified
BAH anybody that is unsure of their skin tone is a loser to me

what makes you think he's unsure of his skin colour? and what does that have to do with anything anyway?
Trancified
I used to try to talk and act like something I wasn't. This is a beaten path and in hindsight I wish I wouldn't have said anything because the topic is controversial. Marshall Mathers or whatever has great music and I respect him somewhat as an artist. I don't think we need any more white guys in this world thinking they are thugs though.

Damo
Eminem makes no bones about the fact that he's white... the fact is, white or black, he's considered one of the best lyricists in the world by many, and i have to agree with that... race has nothing to do with what eminem's about... it's up to you to decide whether his race is an issue or not.. why should it be?? are black guys wrong for making "white" music? that's bs... you're just being narrow minded...
SpykeChyld
^^^Thank you.

How the do you act a color? As a white guy with an entire hiphop album written, spit, and produced by me I took offence to that. You don't act a ing color. If you are white and are a thug then you are a white thug, so ing what!?!?

Anyway, thot what this topic is about. The movie...

As a HUGE Eminem fan, I saw this movie the day it came out. I was impressed by Em's acting all the way though. It's not supposed to be a portrayal of Em's life, but it is supposed to resemble the hardships he went through in his rise in the industry.

Actually, Biz, Em wasn't even born in Michigan at all. He moved there when he was young, and he lived along 8 mile road. 7Miles out, actually.

He only stayed there for a portion of his life but it was the ing ghetto, trailor park just like in the movie.

The freestyles in 8Mile are in insane. I spit so I was in amazed the whole time. The second verse he spit in the competition blew my mind.

The ending of the movie sucked though. It left about 6 story lines wide in open and didn't solve except that he could rap. Maybe that was the point, but I wanted a little more from the plot of the movie.

Rating: 7/10 :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement