return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
need help with my pc
View this Thread in Original format
djdawn
Hi.
My PC (Win98) is really getting me mad. I want to record some stuff to my harddrive with Wavelab.
I have 2.8 gig of free space. But after like 200MB windows pops up and tells me there is not enough space left.
I ran Norton and it said it corrected an error about the disks free space, but it always happens when I try to record.
HELP !! What else can I do? I have disabled the automatic disc-cleaning thing for the drive, but it still won't work.
:confused:
you might want to try scandisk and disk defragmenter. It might help to fix the free space error.
I had that idea, too. I ran Norton Disc Doctor and Speed Disc several times but it doesn't help.
Thanks, anyway...

Any other ideas, please ?
Well man... i dont like to use the "F" word option. But u know... it always fixes it up. Well here goes: Format!

Yep. Sorry to say but it looks like thats watcha afta do :p
You sure you have 2.8 FREE?? and that its not your total amount of free disk space?? If you only have like 250 mb or 190 over :D you might have slight problem with writing to yr disk...

its also true that you cant use all of yr hard-disk space.. youll always need at least 50 mb.. it would be nicer to have even more free space.. otherwise windows will keep bitching.. "No more free room"
yeah, I'm sure there are 2.8 gig and not 280 meg free. My disc is 16 gig and I have 3 partitions. Actually, I just tried it again after getting even more free space. Now 3.5 gig. Still no luck :(
@ DjTS: Would you recommend formatting just the one partition or the whole disc, cause the latter is not an option...
If you have a partition that is not important, formatting that can be an option:( I had to do that once, but it worked at least.. Maybe i can suggest on borrow or buy a cd burner to get backup and format the whole harddisk, and make some new partitions.. That would probably be the best:)

Peace
oh and it's prolly smart to set your windows virutal memory settings instead of letting windows manage it, just because it speeds things up a bit. that way, windows won't have to keep switch the swap size. a value of around 160 - 256 (depending on how intensely you use your comp) usually does the job quite nicely. windows will reserve that amount for virtual memory and won't bitch about HD space again. hehe.
Are you sure that its not a RAM problem?? I mean sometimes only having 128 MB of RAM can cause certain programs to stop operating... I dunno if thats the problem, but it happens to me sometimes :(
ram shouldnt be an issue... try saving it to another partition

but nothing will solve more problems than reformatting :)

quote:
Originally posted by krusader
ram shouldnt be an issue... try saving it to another partition

but nothing will solve more problems than reformatting :)

Yep do it the windowz way!
first thing i would do before formating is try another program to record like sound forge or even music match just to see if its a soft ware issue, if that dont fix it another question is what format are you recording in you say you are recording 200 MB but is that mp3 or wav file information because 200MB of mp3 information converted to a wav file is into 200 GB so be sure that the recording format is the same as the original , if that still dont work then you might just have to format the partition ,hope that helped
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement