return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
turntables or cdjs?
View this Thread in Original format
twizta
at first i was thinking of getting the numark tt 200s and a matrix 3 mixer..but now..my brother has convinced me to get a pioneer cdj -100 and watever good mixer..because since i live in a trance forsaken place (shanghai) i can only get vinyls during my trips to hongkong..and of course i am not saying i am gonna burn mp3s to cds..to play them..i respect the producers....and thas why i have to get cds during my trips to hongkong also......

but since cds contain more tracks....and same price as vinyl.(less tracks) i dont know

opinions from all you great ta's are appreciated
Ekstasis
The only problem I see with trance, or any dance music for that matter, is that the best tracks rarely get released on CD single. a few do, but they usualy arent the mixes you can get on vinyl. Most is released on premixed CD. When I started out I tryde mixing with these, and its near impossable to mix across someone elses mix.

The onyl way you are going to be able to learn is to download the tracks and burn them. I really dont see anything wrong with this if your just having a good time on your bedroom.
benfica88
quote:
Originally posted by Ekstasis
The only problem I see with trance, or any dance music for that matter, is that the best tracks rarely get released on CD single. a few do, but they usualy arent the mixes you can get on vinyl. Most is released on premixed CD. When I started out I tryde mixing with these, and its near impossable to mix across someone elses mix.

The onyl way you are going to be able to learn is to download the tracks and burn them. I really dont see anything wrong with this if your just having a good time on your bedroom.

same here.
JohnSmith
quote:
Originally posted by twizta
at first i was thinking of getting the numark tt 200s and a matrix 3 mixer..but now..my brother has convinced me to get a pioneer cdj -100 and watever good mixer..because since i live in a trance forsaken place (shanghai) i can only get vinyls during my trips to hongkong..and of course i am not saying i am gonna burn mp3s to cds..to play them..i respect the producers....and thas why i have to get cds during my trips to hongkong also......

but since cds contain more tracks....and same price as vinyl.(less tracks) i dont know

opinions from all you great ta's are appreciated

well, first off, you are gonna need more than one cdj - 100. cdj-100s are the standard, and very good, but they are also pretty expensive. I suggest you get something like this:

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl...003010909280765

for $599.99 US (about the cost of 2 pioneers without a mixer)

or this, if you have more money:

for 1,299.99 US

BUT! my personal advices is, i think you should go vinyl instead. as for it being hard to find vinyl, that's what the internet is for! i buy all my vinyls off the net, and it's no problem man.

and if you go vinyl, then GET TECHNICS!

i can't stress that enough.

plus, you would be better posting this in the DJ booth.
twizta
quote:

i thank you for your suggestions...BUT China banned most of the internet online shopping.....including the big names...e-bay and amazon....i ordered a vinyl once before..it took 5 months to get through customs..and i was charged 100 RMB more...eh..let see..thats 12.5 dollars more..so..ya knoww
-_-
Nell
quote:
Originally posted by Ekstasis

thats bull, im a big cd collector and theres not much you cna get on vinyl that you cant on cd. you just have to know where to get them from, and to do that you have to be interested in the format. There are a few obviously, but most releases by any major trance artist are availible on cd single or maxi. in fact, theres a lot on cd that are now deleted on vinyl. name a few decent popular tunes that most people have heard of and ill find in 5 minutes where to get them from etc on cd. try me :) cd's to have some downsides, but availability is definately not one fo them.
JohnSmith
quote:
Originally posted by twizta
i thank you for your suggestions...BUT China banned most of the internet online shopping.....including the big names...e-bay and amazon....i ordered a vinyl once before..it took 5 months to get through customs..and i was charged 100 RMB more...eh..let see..thats 12.5 dollars more..so..ya knoww
-_-

ah, that sucks. Well, you can expect to be taxed when it comes into the country, that's normal, i pay quite a bit more for my vinyl as it goes through customs from the US to canada too.

well, i suggest you get CD decks then, buy what you can, and burn what you can't.
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by Nell
thats bull, im a big cd collector and theres not much you cna get on vinyl that you cant on cd. you just have to know where to get them from, and to do that you have to be interested in the format. There are a few obviously, but most releases by any major trance artist are availible on cd single or maxi. in fact, theres a lot on cd that are now deleted on vinyl. name a few decent popular tunes that most people have heard of and ill find in 5 minutes where to get them from etc on cd. try me :) cd's to have some downsides, but availability is definately not one fo them.

OK, let's see if you can find Sunday Club - Healing Dream or any other Sunday Club on an unmixed CD (even if it's JUST a compilation!). How about Omniglobe - C'mon Yo! on a CD single? I only saw it on the Various Artists compilation "Trancespotting 1" off Hypnotic Recordings, which was released in 1997.
bigjimslade002
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnSmith
well, first off, you are gonna need more than one cdj - 100. cdj-100s are the standard, and very good, but they are also pretty expensive. I suggest you get something like this:

for $599.99 US (about the cost of 2 pioneers without a mixer)

i have this,it's a great setup(mixer is a little weak but it's still nice)i have more then got my money's worth out of this gear i recommend it if you have a limited budget..

GIVE TRANCE A CHANCE....
Nell
quote:
Originally posted by ali92
OK, let's see if you can find Sunday Club - Healing Dream or any other Sunday Club on an unmixed CD (even if it's JUST a compilation!). How about Omniglobe - C'mon Yo! on a CD single? I only saw it on the Various Artists compilation "Trancespotting 1" off Hypnotic Recordings, which was released in 1997.

lol thats easy... healing dream by sunday club:

Sunday Club £4.14 Healing Dream CDSTR77
cdzone.co.uk

and they have anotehr cd of theirs to but i dont know what htat is.

and who the hell are omniglobe.. i said "name a few decent popular tunes that most people have heard of" so thats anythign by the top 100 DJ's, as most poeple have heard of them for instance (thats just an exmple by the way)

the only things you cnat get are tracks like insigma-open your eyes and cloudwalking as theyre obviously rare enough on vinyl and never made cd. however thats nothing a nice cdr cant handle, and it wont wear either! :)

twizta
quote:
Originally posted by JohnSmith
ah, that sucks. Well, you can expect to be taxed when it comes into the country, that's normal, i pay quite a bit more for my vinyl as it goes through customs from the US to canada too.

well, i suggest you get CD decks then, buy what you can, and burn what you can't.

would you recommend the numark axis 8? or 9?
Nell
As an experience CD DJ using much equipment in my time.. here is what i reccomend. Ive given the pros and cons to everything adn anyone who is experience with cd players will probably agree.

Pioneer
The Turntable style are very reliable but dont have that many features, they are a digital turntable. you tend to pay more with pioneer, but the durability is unrivled. the rack mount versions have all the features, but unfortunately they dont all work too great (CMX3000 for instance, the seemless loop isnt seemless). Verdict, buy the CD turntables if youve got the cash and have the space.

Denon
Have all the latest features and now come in the amazing turntable style oferring a 33rpm spinning platter, workign identical to vinyl. this is the most expensive cd player on the market atm, pipping the piooner turntables with its amazing features that ALL work. the downsides are that it costs £1500 for a pair and the life expectancy isnt as great as pioneer. however the rack mounted versions are standard equipment in any UK bar/club, they all thats necessary and the rack version last up to 15 years.

Numark
well the rack mounts are just like the denons, industry standard, and quite corking are the latest ones which actualyl flaw the pioneers feature capability. unfortunately the ones that are shown above by JS are not all that great, there find if you dont want to do anything creative and do soem simple beatmatching, but i dont think there that good tbh. if you wnat a pair similar to that, get the Pionner 100's (not 1000's) as they are top notch for an entry level dig TT's, and nothign coms close to them. the effects are great, and you could probably throw them down the stairs a billion times before they stop working. you will know where your money has gone as soon as you get them and after 5 years, when the numarks have crapped out.

you should realyl try them out for yourself if you can, but bare in mind, the same as normal TT's and anything in life, you tend to get what you pay for. id say play it safe and go for the pioneers.

just for your interest i own (2 Pioneer 800's, which are tht little brother of the 1000's (and slightly better when comparing specs as they have mroe features), i have one of the denon dig TT's and ive also got an old rack version of the numarks which i use in my bedroom
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement