return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
need your guys opinions
View this Thread in Original format
stk
what do u guys think about depressed ppl taking medication?

I know a friend of mine who was very depressed.. and lately shes been taking medication..and shes much better now..BUt shes very diff..like she acts very strange at times..like she seems so happy...and joyful and everything..

what do u guys think about this? i dunno i really care for her but i dont know what to say....cause i think the medication is changing her who she is
RedLunatik
i dont mind people taking them
i think i should take some

but friends tell me..... it makes you feel high.... in a way...
lightheaded and stuff..
and it calms you down.....

in a way i guess they could change you.....
thats why she's taking them no?
so she wont be depressed anymore?
corsten_addict
It's such a mixed issue. Sometimes doctors and psychologists don't understand that people prefer to be depressed. And yet they prescribe medication which changes the person's makeup (i.e. personality, likes/dislikes). It's almost fake sometimes.

Personally, I don't know what is good or bad. I'm not on them and I can't give an opinion.
fastmp3
IMO : you were used to see her soooooo depressed but now that she takes medication and she's normal you think she's tooooooo happy :)
KoreanDJ
When I was depressed back in the day, I listened to trance and i was like :eyespop: :tongue3 :crazy: :tongue2 :toocool: :gsmile: :wtf: :happy2: :disbelief :thepirate :stongue: :toothless :whip: :eek: :cool: :p :) :D ;)

Stevek
drizzt81
quote:
Originally posted by stk
what do u guys think about depressed ppl taking medication?

I think psychopharmaka are _VERY_ potent drugs, as they work on who you are without you knowing..

I think too many people take them too lightheartedly.. but some people really do need them!
ahlamalek
they your brains out, you seem happy, but nothing really changes. you become an empty person.
Nalin
I think medication is good for people that *really* (i really stress *really*, lol) need it. Otherwise as with most things, medication is always a worse path to taken to achieve health then doing it without medication. But man, I know whats its like to be depressed and you got to be a little happy for your friend there, cause going through life depressed is like being mentally tortured every day. Perhaps being too happy is better then being too sad.
Kirby
In my psychology class they said in America many more people take prozac than need it but if you take it and don't need it then you shouldn't notice much of a difference/effect so it's not quite as bad as it could be since all it does is block the reuptake of serotonin which doesn't change much if that's happening correctly anyway... hmm... medications that change mood scare me because then I'm afraid I'll never go back to the way I was before! Maybe your friend is additionally happy because not only is the medicine helping the problem but she also is less stressed knowing that she doesn't have to go through it again. That would make me very happy...
Spad
If used correctly they can be life-changing. If somebody is suffering from depression their life can get very "cloudy" and consumed by the depression. These drugs can help lift their mood and enable them to clear their head and begin seeing what's important in their life and work towards making things better. Help them recognise the problems they've had in the past and learn new ways to deal with such things whilst on the medication, so that when they come off it they're "better equiped" if you like.

Unfortunatly I think a lot of doctors are too quick to hand out these drugs in cases where they're not necessary and a lot of people can become dependant on them so it's important doctors use them alongside and as an aid to other treatments to help cure the illness.

Spad
quote:
Originally posted by pagoda
I think people who aren't depressed don't realize how serious depression is and how much it s every day of your life up, and how great it is just to be normal.

EbolaCola
A couple years ago I was very depressed. My doctor put me on Zoloft for a few weeks and I began to feel a lot better. Medication really helps out a lot.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement