return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Boot Up Your Computer In Seconds
View this Thread in Original format
Blue.
I was told of something that could boot your computer up in seconds. Not sure if it's hardware or software but I wouldn't mind having some more info on it if anyone knows anything. Fast Boot I think it's called.

On another note my computer is moving slow. I don't have too many programs running at a given time and have a relatively clean hard drive with a few gigs of free space. I have a 1.7Ghz P4 with 256MB of RAM and I think it should be booting up a little bit faster and running faster as well. What other programs can I use other than scandisc and defragmenting to make my computer a bit faster?
corsten_addict
Do a virus check to see if you have a malignant trojan horse or even a virus on your computer. A lot of that stuff boots up at when you start windows at first, and they take a lot of time.

When I had a trojan horse doing DDOS attacks, my computer was really slow. That's when I realised that the trojan horse, which had infected my computer somehow, was slowing down my comp. I think proceeded to erase my hard drives and start from scratch.. that's when it became fast again.

Keep in mind I've got a PIII 500 mhz box... so if yours is slow to the point of turtleland, chances are, you've got a trojan horse.

Regards
BrainLifter
1. Try uninstalling any software that you don't need anymore...
2. move as many icons off your desktop as possible
3. fonts make windows sow as hell booting up.... (Well I know it's true in 95/98/98se/Me but I'm not sure in NT/2000/XP)
4. Take a look at hw big your desktop wallpaper is in size... if it 500K+ then you need to make the filesize smaller.
5. Make a new partition and move everything (like all your mp3s movies etc etc) except windows and programs to the new partition
6. If your filesystem is FAT32 switch to NTFS which XP tends to like better.
7. Don't run more then 4 programs at start-up. (ie in the taskbar like yahoo messanger or winamp agent)

There are some more but I can't remember them now...

Oh and the cheapest easiest way to make a pc run faster period is to install more RAM which from your system sounds like it could greatly increase your processing power.
drizzt81
get more ram.. 256 MB is too little for XP

oh and:

www.tweakxp.com
Dj_Psygnosis
Just put your computer on hibernation and it will boot up in seconds.
jonsimmonds
quote:
Originally posted by Dj_Psygnosis

yup works a treat! after the bios post etc it takes about 10 seconds max to boot up, depending on your harddisk speed and amount of ram
drizzt81
quote:
Originally posted by Dj_Psygnosis

the problem is that it doesn't reboot, so you loose the advantage of having clean system ram etc.
jonsimmonds
quote:
Originally posted by drizzt81
the problem is that it doesn't reboot, so you loose the advantage of having clean system ram etc.

but xp is good with its ram anyway
Maaz
quote:
Originally posted by BrainLifter
3. fonts make windows sow as hell booting up.... (Well I know it's true in 95/98/98se/Me but I'm not sure in NT/2000/XP)

I guess it's time to get rid of some of these 530 fonts I have then :D
quote:
Originally posted by BrainLifter
7. Don't run more then 4 programs at start-up. (ie in the taskbar like yahoo messanger or winamp agent)

I wish I could but there are some bloody icons I can't remove from the taskbar (windows schedule/some "directCD" thing from my CD recorder I've never used/... et cetera :rolleyes: )
drizzt81
quote:
Originally posted by Maaz
I wish I could but there are some bloody icons I can't remove from the taskbar (windows schedule/some "directCD" thing from my CD recorder I've never used/... et cetera :rolleyes: )

uninstalling DirectCD will remove the icon
you can also set an optin that it does not start on a reboot

nate735
just run msconfig and pick off things you dont need.
Harri
if u go into the command prompt and run msconfig u can turn off some of the start up items that u dont like. I believe this wokrs in all windows versions except 2k or ME.. I forget which at the moment.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement