return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

Rave off
View this Thread in Original format
ShAwZy
>> Downtown targets afterhours dance clubs
http://www.montrealmirror.com/meat/news1.html

by KRISTIAN GRAVENOR

Noise-sensitive citizens have led the city bureaucracy to declare war on downtown’s all-night dance clubs. Starting last Tuesday, Jan. 25, no new permits will be given to afterhours dance clubs in the Ville-Marie district, the giant downtown area from Atwater to Moreau and from Sherbrooke to the river. Borough officials eventually intend to force the clubs to close at 3 a.m.

The move seriously threatens the future of such thriving all-night clubs as Sona, Aria, Stereo, as well as Groove Society and FOAM, a clothing store on Ste-Catherine W. that already has a license to operate as an afterhours.

Downtown councillor Robert Laramée says the clubs bug nearby residents. "Each week, residents complain about the noise factor. As well, it’s the parking and young people trespassing on private property. The residents are sick of it," he says.

Laramée says police are frequently called to homes in the middle of the night where they walk around with decibel meters to judge the level of legitimate disturbance. "People living downtown already endure the bars that close at 3 a.m., but on top of it, they have to deal with these places where the music never ends until 9 a.m."

He feels that the city must cater to the needs of the many residents they brought back into the area. "The city invested enormous amounts of money in the form of tax breaks and grants to lure citizens to move back downtown. But with all these new condos and renovations, it created an unworkable mix of residents and clubs where the night never ends."

Laramée says he has never been inside one of the clubs, has never spoken to the owners but lives near one of the clubs in question. He recommends that all downtown afterhours clubs only be permitted in industrial areas that have no neighbours, such as under the Jacques Cartier Bridge.

One analyst of the afterhours scene thinks the clubs should be encouraged rather than attacked. "Montreal is the only city with three world-class afterhours clubs within two kilometres of each other with Sona, Aria and Stereo. That’s unheard of elsewhere," says Ian Huggins, an afterhours aficionado who runs MTLNIGHTS, a Web forum devoted to the local late-night dance club scene. "These are legitimate businesses. Everybody gets paid, they’re good corporate tax citizens, they have payrolls and employees and they attract a lot of people from out of town. And rather than leave the clubs in the middle of the night, people leave at 8 a.m. I don’t know how residents could be annoyed by that."

Huggins points out that the clubs are largely neighbour-free and should be low on the list of local annoyances. "What about the thousands of cars constantly streaming down Ste-Catherine, the heroin problem, the crackheads downtown, why pick on the afterhours clubs?

"Montreal is a hotbed of house music and that brings a lot of tourists to town," says Huggins. "Plus these clubs breed local talent. If the councillor closes these places, it’ll only make Montreal look intolerant, and we’re known as a tolerant city." :

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-07-2003 04:24 AM
alec
Both are very valid arguements, but as I'm a clubber, and not a resident near mtl, they can kiss myass
detective you
good arguments....but as you said alec that!
move suckers if you dont want music! I would be happy if I could hear every set thrown by every DJ in Aria!!
discojoe
quote:
Originally posted by ShAwZy

. "These are legitimate businesses. Everybody gets paid, they’re good corporate tax citizens, they have payrolls and employees and they attract a lot of people from out of town. And rather than leave the clubs in the middle of the night, people leave at 8 a.m. I don’t know how residents could be annoyed by that."

I do... It's not when people leave it's when people enter thats the problem... but ya those residents can go themselves besides people who go to afterhours dont tend to drink (there's no alcohol past 3 am..) I seriously doubt they are loud or rowdy or cause much trouble. I bet its just old crotchety people who are angry at society and somehow blame kids for their old age
fastmp3
Mike_B
ahahahahahaha
Stéphanie_M
quote:
Originally posted by fastmp3

Oh boy :eek:
I've gone blind!!! :whip:
Taz
All laughs aside, what are we planning to do about this?
Psy-Trancer
its just like when the ppl at mirabel were complaining about planes...LIVE WITH IT MOFO'S!
cap
lol he say what about the drug problem, but it's prolly indirectly or maybe directly connected to the clubs :P

haha

jk, I dont know much bout MTL
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement