return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Ogg Vorbis
View this Thread in Original format
Belzebutt
How popular do you think this is? It still seems hard to find files in this format, but does any of you actually have large collections of ogg files?

Do you see a change coming where its popularity might rival mp3?

I ask because I read a story recently (http://www.arstechnica.com/) where they mentioned that some new hardware MP3 players are coming out with OGG support...

I've never used it personally for actual music files but when I listen to samples it does sound far better, at least as good as WMA for the same size, but completely patent/royalty free. And yes, better than mp3 Pro. Seems like it's the best format for the future...
Xo|oX
well... for the close future anyways... there will be even better formats in the future... its no question about if... its about when =)
Mr.Mystery
Not very popular yet - people are too afraid to move on to new things and stick with old formats and can only be converted kicking and screaming.
KilldaDJ
if more applications support ogg, id surely convert my collection into ogg
mp3 is a boring codec...
shao
i'd kill for hardware that plays ogg D=
eye_03
i enjoy hot dogs
MaRt
Just get a program like dBpowerAMP, then you can convert your audio to whatever format floats your boat! I fear change so will be sticking to MP3s, though. :wtf:
MaRt
quote:
Originally posted by eye_03
i enjoy hot dogs

Posts in the Chillout forum don't count towards your post count. :rolleyes:
shao
quote:
Originally posted by MaRt
Just get a program like dBpowerAMP, then you can convert your audio to whatever format floats your boat! I fear change so will be sticking to MP3s, though. :wtf:

I do have an ogg -> mp3 convertor and an mp3-cd player as well, but all the same... i'd kill for an ogg player.
dyret
Doesn't winamp support ogg? I play my ogg files in winamp, dunno how, a friend of mine fixed it for me, so i guess there is a possibility, and true, it sounds much better =D

arctic
quote:
Originally posted by dyret
Doesn't winamp support ogg? I play my ogg files in winamp, dunno how, a friend of mine fixed it for me, so i guess there is a possibility, and true, it sounds much better =D

Yep it's built in to all the recent releases.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement