return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
I'm on windows 2003 server
View this Thread in Original format
ahlamalek
well first impression. This is NOT a consumer OS, meaning no MSN messanger, no games, no nice screen savers, even windows media player is not installed!

The start menu is made for sysadmin, no fancy animations, no fancy wizards, IE is set to the strictest security settings. Not accepting any sites...

You get the idea. All in all, do not install it if you're expecting something better than Windows XP (consumer wise).
jonsimmonds
well by the name "windows 2003 server" id expect it to be there just to be set up with wot ever server is being planed to run, then left running the server, so i would expect it to be user unfriendly
matt2kjones
no one in their right mind would use it as a user o/s

one it costs loads of money

two, if u have an illegal version u could get fined $120,000 dollars

three it uses much more memory than standard windows o/s

and there are loads more reasons :P
yujie__
i'll wait for the corp edition and some super tweek to it. the i will see. is it stable for u?
k.k.d.
corp edition is out too.. it's 3 cds....:(
ahlamalek
what bums me out now is that it needs activation... agh i have to find a way...

I'm gonna install Premiere and some other tools for some heavy editing... XP usually crashes a couples of times a night... we'll see with W2K3.

BTW, windows 2003 is so bare bone, that it actually uses less memory than win xp!! hehe everything is disabled god damn it!

Even animated Gifs aren't animated :wtf:

hehehe
yujie__
yeaaa... a less bloated OS from microsoft :toothless

did it took 20 min to install?
ahlamalek
no but a bit faster than winXP.

I have an XP1800+, 1GIG DDR, Nvidia 2.0 8X board
ahlamalek
another thing, nowhere to be seen "my documents" "my music" and all the rest of the "my ..." crap folders.

My Audigy soundcard isn't working :(
NetX
2003 is definitely nothing for a "consumer". Has some very nice things integrated... weŽll see how long it will last before the various bug reports are published.

Interesting will be the changes to licencing policy... especially for TerminalServices.

Oh well... nerd talk ;)

DJ-Annubis
Excited to check this out myself, we will be installing it @ my work on our servers in a few months.

Have you messed around with Active Directory or any of the new GPO stuff? Or setting up web servers etc.

Curious if the process is any better.
jonsimmonds
quote:
Originally posted by NetX
Interesting will be the changes to licencing policy... especially for TerminalServices.

whats geting changed?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement