return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
a "normal" life
View this Thread in Original format
Essential1
go to high school
graduate
go to college/uni right after
then either continue through school or get a 9-5 job
get married
have kids
retire

am i the only one who sees something wrong with this? the "american dream"? it’s more of a nightmare if you ask me.

how can so many people live their lives according to what society moulds as "normal"? most people who go to college right after high school either change majors after the first year or just drop out.

i’m the type of guy people like to point fingers at, and many say i’m going nowhere in life because i’m no longer in school. however, those are the same people who will die without living a single day. so many people are constanly worrying about the future that they froget about what they should be doing with the present.

i don’t know why i posted this, i don’t exactly know what point i’m trying to get across, but for some reason i feel i should post it anyways.
TranceGiant
Who says you can't go a middle way? Living both what society created as the "ideal" life but still seeking self-fulfillment and enjoying the present. Basically having fun while still being "successful". That shall be my goal as I'm of the opinion that you should adjust yourself to the environment you live in instead of stubbornly fighting it, but should not forget about your "essence" and individuality.
elize
hehe.. well.. everyone should do what they wanna do.. most ppl fall in love with someone.. and.. oooh.. they wanna have kids.. and ups.. lot of bills to pay.. need a job.. there u go.. boring life maybe yea.. but this is just how it goes.. it must be boring to live alone too..

i see ure talking about school, many ppl don't fit in school.. but unfortunately it's hard to get some place without an education these days.. u don't tell what u wanna do, but u don't wanna go to school.. it'll be hard to get a "good" job maybe without going to school.. at least in my country papers and school are important ;)
Essential1
quote:
Originally posted by elize
hehe.. well.. everyone should do what they wanna do.. most ppl fall in love with someone.. and.. oooh.. they wanna have kids.. and ups.. lot of bills to pay.. need a job.. there u go.. boring life maybe yea.. but this is just how it goes.. it must be boring to live alone too..

i see ure talking about school, many ppl don't fit in school.. but unfortunately it's hard to get some place without an education these days.. u don't tell what u wanna do, but u don't wanna go to school.. it'll be hard to get a "good" job maybe without going to school.. at least in my country papers and school are important ;)

yes, money is needed, but i'm fine with just enough to survive. i haven't figured out what i want to do with my life, which is why i'm not in school. it's not an issue of not fitting in because i don't care for what others think of me. i just don't understand how so many people can go to school without the slightest clue as to what they want to do with their lives. i could easliy take some kind of networking course & get a pretty decent job in a couple of years, but what's the point? just because i know how to do something, it doesn't mean i want to spend my while life doing it.
i haven't had much sleep in the last couple of days, and i just felt like getting some thoughts out of my head.
Sand Leaper
quote:
Originally posted by Essential1
i could easliy take some kind of networking course & get a pretty decent job in a couple of years, but what's the point? just because i know how to do something, it doesn't mean i want to spend my while life doing it.

Then comes the question whether you wanna spend your life on something that's ok and that will more or less guarantee you a stabilized and solid future, or on something that you really want to do, but has a lot of risk involved, and could mean personal ruin if you're unlucky. Take me for example. What I want most in this world is to be able to live off of making music and playing it and the records I love to an audience. But face it, the chance of me ever getting there is very small, as you need tons of luck, connections, patience and skill in order to even have a shot at getting that far. Now, is it worth spending a significant amount of time of your life on an attempt in getting there (which might fail, which in turn means that I threw away that part of my life for nothing), or should I rather go and study something that can give me a job that will provide me for the rest of my life?
Essential1
quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
Then comes the question whether you wanna spend your life on something that's ok and that will more or less guarantee you a stabilized and solid future, or on something that you really want to do, but has a lot of risk involved, and could mean personal ruin if you're unlucky. Take me for example. What I want most in this world is to be able to live off of making music and playing it and the records I love to an audience. But face it, the chance of me ever getting there is very small, as you need tons of luck, connections, patience and skill in order to even have a shot at getting that far. Now, is it worth spending a significant amount of time of your life on an attempt in getting there (which might fail, which in turn means that I threw away that part of my life for nothing), or should I rather go and study something that can give me a job that will provide me for the rest of my life?

that's exactly it though, i get bored with jobs easily. i'd be happier getting a different job every couple of years. i guess you can call me a drifter, because i just drift through life. if one thing doesn't work out for me, i move onto the next thing. i do a few odd jobs here and there to make some spare cash, and it keeps me living. but, i can honestly say that i've never been happier in my whole life.
Streakfury
To get a degree in Web Development is only half the reason that I went to uni. The other half is because I knew that there's no other experience in life quite as unique as a uni life. You get to do all sorts of cool things that you wouldn't really get to do otherwise, and you get a good education while your at it.

I guess I just don't wanna die at the ripe old age of 100 with no stories to tell. I wanna live to the max!!

:) :cool:
blank
quote:
Originally posted by Streakfury
To get a degree in Web Development is only half the reason that I went to uni. The other half is because I knew that there's no other experience in life quite as unique as a uni life. You get to do all sorts of cool things that you wouldn't really get to do otherwise, and you get a good education while your at it.

I guess I just don't wanna die at the ripe old age of 100 with no stories to tell. I wanna live to the max!!

:) :cool:

Werd.i know many many ppl who go to uni just for the uni life.
ASOT100
not everyone has to go through that process to get to where they want to be, it's just that like someone else said, if you want a stable life that would be the most logical process to go through and it's not because the ppl upstairs designed this system to make you suffer through life, it's because it's been done many many times by millions of ppl and proved to be helpful.

looking to the future helps define and guide what will eventually be the present, many many things are done like this because it works

think about where we would be if ppl didn't go to college and work hard, would we have all the technology around us that we take for granted? would we even be able to communicate through this thing we call the internet? yea, some technological advances are ill intended but look at all the good that has come.

would we be better off if we were less advanced? maybe, maybe not, who knows.
astroboy
My worst fear is reaching old age, looking back at my life and wondering where the years went and what I did with them... kinda like when you finish your holidays and realise you haven't done anything, except 100x worse... just imagine it, the horrible relisation that you've wasted your whole life and can do nothing about it :nervous:

So i guess that's what everyone in this thread has in common.

Orbax
Im glad the American Dream exists. It makes it SOOOOO easy to get ahead in life and hire a whole bunch of clueless jerks to do all your work for you.
Haak
hehe, i'm in my 3rd year of a bachelor course in computer engineering, but i don't want to work with that at all (i have to retake like half of the exams also :p). i wanted to when i started i think, but my interests has changed a bit and i guess music has taken over my life. i kinda feel i've wasted those 3 years (and a ton of money cause it's a private school). music is all i really want to do, but i don't know if i'll be able to make a living out of it.

think i might sign up for something at university just do have something to do besides sitting infront of my computer :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement