return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
i am thinking of going to greenland. do you know anything about it?
View this Thread in Original format
subuddha
as most of you figured out from the subject, i am thinking of going to Greenland. thing is, i dont really know why. i know it sounds strange but i have come across Greenland a lot lately. people talking about on the radio or mentioning it in books. something makes me want to go there, but i dont know much about the island then that the nature is special and that you can experience midnight sun during the summers.

has anyone been there? can you tell me what it is like?

stamper
From memort Greenland has a lot of ice, whereas Iceland has more green.

Also Bjork is from there right?
subuddha
quote:
Originally posted by stamper
From memort Greenland has a lot of ice, whereas Iceland has more green.

Also Bjork is from there right?

yep.
iceland - bjork
greenland - 85% of island is covered with ice
Echo of Silence
quote:
Originally posted by subuddha
as most of you figured out from the subject, i am thinking of going to Greenland. thing is, i dont really know why. i know it sounds strange but i have come across Greenland a lot lately. people talking about on the radio or mentioning it in books. something makes me want to go there, but i dont know much about the island then that the nature is special and that you can experience midnight sun during the summers.

has anyone been there? can you tell me what it is like?

Yes. It is beautiful. The most beautiful land imagineable. There are not many people and most of the people with whom I personally interacted did not speak English or Danish very well but I was not in Nuuk for long. Maybe the inhabitants of Nuuk and other southern cities, speak English. Greenlander is inuit and words from all of our languages (maybe more from Finland than the others) but it's easy to understand, less easy to speak at first. Do you like to hike or rock climb? Ski or kayak? Fish? If you want to live there, life is harder because there are less amenities, less conveniences, and when I lived there everything seemed very expensive but I had no other experience with budgeting or buying so maybe it isn't as expensive as I thought. I'm not sure what you would like to know; I think now you can enroll in a workcamp for a month in the summer. I dunno, you might have to be Danish for that.
whiskers
it's cold there and beautiful

i wanna move there too :wtf:
N|te-L|fe
Doesnt look too green to me
Mista
looks cold... :eek:
ShadoWolf
Why not just visit northern Sweden? Wouldn't that be easier?
Smeagol
was thinking that as well. You can get midnight sun with as much as +20 Celsius with a bit of luck. And almost as deserted if you go hiking in the mountains (Sarek for example). And it is possible to comunicate with people in english.

But I guess Greenland is more extreme.

EDIT DISCLAIMER:
But without luck, which is normally the case, it will be 0 to +5 celsius, constant rain and a ridicilous amount of mosquitos...
blazed it
swedish bikini team vs. inuit bikini team

subuddha
quote:
Originally posted by ShadoWolf
Why not just visit northern Sweden? Wouldn't that be easier?

i understnad your point. but i have been there, did my army training for 10 months up north. experienced a lot that i still treasure. i think Greenland is interesting because its closeness to the ocean, because of the low number of inhabitants and because i would like to travel and see something i havent seen before. i read a story by a man that had sat by the ocean, whatching icebergs drift in the water, the sun setting and not a single person for miles around. (for those of you familiar with buddhism/meditation, he experienced Source at that point)

it sounded like a beautiful experience and has stuck in my head. Sweden cant give that, it can give a lot of other equally beautiful things, but it doesnt feel as magic when it is in your own backyard i guess.
Smeagol
quote:
Originally posted by subuddha
i understnad your point. but i have been there, did my army training for 10 months up north.

ok, Uppsala. forklarar ju en del. Didn't notice your location. Sorry. A swedish flag would help. ;)

Then go to Greenland! :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement