return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > UEFA Euro 2004

Pages: [1] 2 3 
group c. Requires explanation
View this Thread in Original format
chesco
Why is it if denmark and sweden draw by a higher score than 1-1 then italy go out regardless if they beat bulgaria by 1 goal or by 10.

surely this is the most unfair outcome.:conf:

shouldn't it just come down to goal difference.:conf:
The Darklord
WC98... Spain 6-1 Bulgaria. Nigeria 1-3 Paraguay. Spain go down.
Life's a .
(mmmkay, so Spain and Paraguay didn't end with the same points... but it's just an example of the so called unfairness)
chesco
Heres what confusles me tho.

if italy win and dnmark draw with sweden then all teams end up on same points.

Usually it would come down to goal difference would it not. But no matter how many goals italy score, if denmark draw with more than 2 goals then they go thru, thats stupid.
sleepydragon
no its not done goal difference now
its worked out on how well each team did against each other
chesco
quote:
Originally posted by sleepydragon
no its not done goal difference now
its worked out on how well each team did against each other

well that is complete and utter bull whoever thought it up.
_Marc Dawn_
now i'm confused.... if sweden and denmark end as a draw and italy wins they will have the same points.
then sweden will qualify because of more goals then denmark right?
since italy play draw agianst sweden and denmark i cant see why they wouldn't qualify with a big enough win:conf:

if its worked out on how well they play against eachother,
isn't that a personal opinion, or a matter off playing style?
paranoik0
quote:
Originally posted by _Marc Dawn_
now i'm confused.... if sweden and denmark end as a draw and italy wins they will have the same points.
then sweden will qualify because of more goals then denmark right?
since italy play draw agianst sweden and denmark i cant see why they wouldn't qualify with a big enough win:conf:

if its worked out on how well they play against eachother,
isn't that a personal opinion, or a matter off playing style?

critery for teams drawn in points:

1. points in games between each others (if they all draw they get all the same points)
2. goal difference in games between each others (if they all draw, all of them get 0 goal difference)
3. goals for in games between each others (this is where italy would have a problem, so far italy and sweden have 1 and denmark has 0. if denmark draw 2-2 with sweden it becomes sweden: 3, demark: 2, italy:1)
4. goal difference in all games (if denmark draws 1-1 this critery moves forward. basically italy would go through if they score more than 2 to bulgaria)
5. no idea, maybe yellow cards? this would ONLY happen if the scores are sweden 1-1 denmark and italy 2-0 bulgaria.

it ain't complicated :D
_Marc Dawn_
that sucks, why not just use overall goal difference:(
chesco
quote:
Originally posted by _Marc Dawn_
that sucks, why not just use overall goal difference:(

this was the point I was trying to make with the thread.

Why have uefa constantly got to complicate things with stupid rules.
The Darklord
To me, it makes sense. If in the head-to-head between two or three teams one has a better score, it would be logical if that team would go through... but it's just my opinion.

razmataz
Well overall goal difference is also quite sketchy in this scenario, think about it... Italy knows exactly how many goals it would have to score even though it has drawn all its other games and the other teams have also beaten Bulgaria...

Basically, in a group like this it would always come down to "who thrashes the weakest team the most" which would be ridiculous.

If you think this rule is complicated ask someone of the Duckworth-Lewis system for cricket :)
evil_bastard
In the event of equal points between Denmark and Italy (for example), it would come down to who won the head to head match between them. But this was 0-0, so it goes straight to goal difference.

Right now Denmark have a +2 goal difference while Italy have an equal, or 0, goal difference.

If this happened:
Denmark 2-2 Sweden
Italy 2-0 Bulgaria
Then goal difference would be the same but Denmark would have scored more (4-2 vs 3-1 on goal diff.)

If this happened:
Denmark 2-2 Sweden
Italy 3-0 Bulgaria
Then Italy would go through because they would have +3 goal difference and Denmark would only have +2 goal difference.

To cut a long story short, if the scandinavians draw, the Italians need to put a couple of goals past Bulgaria to qualify.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement