return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
I'm thinking of getting into business with my girlfriend (economically). Any hints?
View this Thread in Original format
Lira
My girlfriend and I are both a bit worried about our professional lives. We take the same course in university (Japanese Language and Culture) and we're thinking of working together on this area here in Brasília. Despite of our complicity, maturity, and the stability of our relationship (we hadn't had a proper fight in these 7 and a half months we've been together, just minor discussions), I wonder in what ways it could endanger this once stable relationship and if anyone else has tried doing something similar (or knows of a similar story). I believe it would be a good way of growing together but I know there must be downsides somewhere.

torontotrance
starting your own business with her or working for the same company?
Boomer187
worse case scenario....you break up (divorce) she takes the entire business.

it can work out...and it can get ugly. it just depends on how much she likes you, the kind of person she, and you are....and how much you trust her.

I would try to keep it seperate at least on my main business venture......little side thingies with her probably would not be too bad.

Just always have a backup plan
Porky
maaazz

teaching japanese?
?

?
Lira
Well, we'd write some books together in the beginning, so the copyright would belong to both of us (we know we won't have problem to publish as we have far too many people interested but no quality material available). She's got great skills in Japanese language, and I know my Portuguese quite well, so we would often review stuff each other's stuff or write together.

We like each other a lot, and I do trust her (why would I be in a relationship with her after all? ;)).
quote:
Originally posted by Porky
maaazz

teaching japanese?
?

?

はい :D
torontotrance
still make a plan up in case

see usually businesses have problems and the stress hits, even for people who have been together years, I've seen marriages break because of this, Just make a written agreement, no lawyer involved, just write half and half, sign in and get a friend to witness it. Better to be safe than sorry.
Lira
hmm... we might do that, Andy, cheers :)

In fact, as soon as things start to work out, I'll talk to her in order to avoid weakening what we've got (relationship wise).

(Oh, thanks to you too, Boomer ;))
torontotrance
See if you start your own business, it involves a lot of stress, a lot of hrs and all your relationships are strained as some point because lack of sleep, heavy work load. I mean I've seen people never fight about anything, go into business together and end the relationship. I mean with partners, they always have an agreement anyway, even if they are brothers, it is standard business practice, sort of covering your ass incase happens. Even if I was married and I was going into a business with my wife, I'd still have an agreement to cover what happens if I died, or she did or if we divorced. Money are change people, I'm not saying it will but I rather just be careful. I'd tell the g.f if I was you, I love you very dearly but I want to make some agreement incase our relationship goes sour and it avoids us fighting about it and it is standard partner practice to sign a 50-50 agreement (well that's a lie tbh because most disagreements end up in court, where the courts sort the mess out) but it keeps you on track.
Lira
I know.

I'll try to do things as smoothly as possible, as I know how upset she is when she's tired (she worked a lot last semester). Depending on how it carries on, I'll talk to her, but hopefully, we won't get that stressed. It's just a matter of trying to keep the relationship intact and, if things unfortunately don't work out between us, it doesn't bring more pain. It would just be not worth it.
ShadoWolf
is it wise to mix business and pleasure??

insecurity
quote:
Originally posted by ShadoWolf
is it wise to mix business and pleasure??

exactly

The added stress of a workplace environment will affect your relationship, plus if you are always together, you will start to get on each others nerves (absence makes the heart grow fonder).
It makes sense on a financial level, but will inevitably
take its toll on the relationship.
Take it from an old bastard, if you wanna be with her, don't do it ;)

good luck with whatever you decide
Lira
You've got a good point indeed, insecurity (and Shadowolf).

What if we worked at our homes (far from each other)? Would it be any better?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement