return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
On forums and how people are outside of them.
View this Thread in Original format
wwu.punisher
I got to thinking about how people present themselves on a forum as opposed to how they present themselves elsewhere (i.e. the "real" world). I wanted to post this up for everyone, both because it seems to be something that we need to discuss and because I am interested to hear what a lot of you think. (I'm hoping to hear from toronto, nell, and a few others on this one.)

In a nutshell, I think there's a big problem on most forums with some people either taking things out of context, or just taking things too seriously. Sure, some of us know each other in "real life", but all too often it seems that people drag their personal business into the forum and it becomes a channel for saying things to and about others that you would never say to them if they were in the same room as you. Either that, or people just use the forums as a place to vent all of their pent-up frustrations from the previous day on random strangers because it doesn't seem to them like these people truly exist or have any feelings.

It also seems like there are a lot of people (myself included) who just don't act the same on the forums as they otherwise would. There can be a lot of reasons behind this, but for most people, it's just the simple fact that they don't take forums seriously. I, for one, forget about what's going on here on TA almost as soon as I close my Internet browser. It's just not that important to me, unless I'm here reading and making posts. I've met several other people like this. A lot of my friends can go into a forum and act like the biggest ass in the world when they're really quite cool, otherwise. I've even seen a few people who are normally heads turn into really nice, cool people when they're talking to other people on Internet forums.

It's bizzare, really. Half the time, I don't know what my motive is when I'm making a post. It's just a compulsion. I read, and I feel the need to respond. Sure, every once in a while something gets me going and there's real feeling behind my words. Most of the time, though, I'm just goofing around. Trying to kill a bit of time in between the other events of my daily routine. And yet, it's a part of my daily routine. (Most days, at least.) Sometimes, I don't even think about it as I'm browsing the forums, and I'll suddenly say to myself, ". I've been browsing for a long time. What the hell was I looking for when I logged in, anyway?" I think a lot of people are this way, and it seems like we really rile up the people who tend to take things on the forums more seriously.

I guess it's all just part of the group dynamic. Not surprising, given the size of the group. There are more people registered on TA than there are living in some cities.

Oh, well. I might just be tired as . This probably won't make as much sense to me in the morning as it does, now, but whatever. I'm just hoping that someone at least understands part of what I'm talking about and is able to throw something back at me.
twisted420
ive also thought about this myself..although..i portray my self on here just as i basicly am in real life. mabye not as stupid sometimes...:eyespop:
aspergian
Hm. I'm the same on here and off here. I'm generally friendly. :)

Two things I've observed:

-it helps to use emoticons

-it's easier to clarify things in realtime

;)
insecurity
Nearly everyone who meets me or knows me in real life, describes me as laid back. I think of myself as easy going & chilled with a dry sense of humor.
My close friends know not to get on my bad side :nervous:
Slylee
I have a confession.

I'm really 40 years old with 4 kids, each having a different daddy. I weigh 300 lbs and i'm 5'2.

Sorry guys.
nchs09
quote:
Originally posted by Slylee
I have a confession.

I'm really 40 years old with 4 kids, each having a different daddy. I weigh 300 lbs and i'm 5'2.

Sorry guys.
pics plz. kthx
EyesOfExtasy
quote:
I have a confession.

Sorry guys.

I knew it ;)
BitchBoyNYC
what you see from me here is what you get from me outside of here. There's no reason to act differently because then you're lying to yourself and others and basically being someone you are not.
Slylee
yea i agree. i'm sure a lot of people who are shy and don't know how to talk to people in person, come on the internet to act outgoing or witty or whatever.

not the case with me. i'm guilty of escaping reality at one point or another in my life through the internet, but never to escape who i am.

i just like to crack jokes and talk to people and i don't take from anyone either. i'm very opinionated...i guess that's how i come off on here, i don't really analyze my posts.

sometimes i play to the shallow, dumb, party girl persona that a lot of people on here think i am, but that's just for fun. you guys take things really serious sometimes.
BLuEOcEaN420
quote:
yea i agree. i'm sure a lot of people who are shy and don't know how to talk to people in person, come on the internet to act outgoing or witty or whatever.

not the case with me. i'm guilty of escaping reality at one point or another in my life through the internet, but never to escape who i am.

i just like to crack jokes and talk to people and i don't take from anyone either. i'm very opinionated...i guess that's how i come off on here, i don't really analyze my posts.

sometimes i play to the shallow, dumb, party girl persona that a lot of people on here think i am, but that's just for fun. you guys take things really serious sometimes.

jamie love ya babe :) hope all is well w/ ya. its true, ive never met you in person but i wouldnt doubt for a sec my respect & admiration for the ultra cool chick that ive gotten to know over the years on here when the day comes that WE DO meet in person (in whichever country that may be in ;))! :happy2:

Itarillė
hi, my name's asai... and i'm a lurker online and in real life... i'm so ashamed of myself! *cries*

:D
DJAntSmith
I agree.

I think some of it has to do with that on the forums you can't tell in what manner a post is said. For example if in "real life" someone made a crack at me and I told them to off, you'd be able to tell by my mannerisms and tone of voice how i meant it. Usually in a joking way and all who know me accept that. I try not to write things like that here because it all depends on how one person can interpret the text. If somebody said it to me for example, i would take it jokingly as i would in everyday life. I would consider that a more positive mental attitude, however some people with a negative attitude may instantly ake it the wrong way. As in they actually think i'm telling them to " off" and i'm being agressive with them.

I also agree with whoever said that emoticons or smilies help.

For example:

off ;)
off :mad:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Privacy Statement