return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Disappointed Yanks swamp Canadian immigration website
View this Thread in Original format
dEsidEL

lol .. i found this to be a rather funny article ..

quote:

Nov. 4, 2004. 06:10 PM
Disappointed Yanks swamp immigration website

FROM CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — Canada's immigration website is being flooded with a record-smashing number of visits from U.S. Democrats dismayed by the prospect of four more years living under President George W. Bush.

His re-election has some long-faced U.S. liberals apparently musing that perhaps Canada's cold winters, high taxes and strained health system are more easily endured than their commander-in-chief.

A new record was set within hours of Bush's acceptance speech as six times more Americans than usual surfed the site Wednesday.

The overall number of 179,000 visitors was almost twice the previous one-day record set last year and a whopping 64 per cent of visitors — 115,016

— were from the United States.

Many were doing more than just casual surfing, a spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration suggested Thursday.

"The most-visited pages . . . were the skilled worker online self-assessment pages (to check if) they'd meet the selection criteria," said Maria Iadinardi.

But there's no proof of an influx of Americans seeking asylum from their politics: "Applying and intent are two different things. We're only going to see this about six months from now," she said.

Americans moving to Canada must deal with the same rules as other immigrants — including the $500 application fee, the $975 landing tax, and the six- to 12-month wait.

The waiting time is shorter if you're married to a Canadian, for which help is available at http://www.marryanamerican.ca, a Canadian satirical site also being inundated by visitors.

A quick Internet Google search under the terms, "move to Canada' + Bush" turns up more than 8,000 web pages — including chat groups and at least one opinion poll asking frustrated liberals whether they'd consider fleeing.

About 60 per cent replied `Yes' to leaving in the tongue-in-cheek poll of more than 1,000 on CBS's Chicago affiliate web site.

One American who lives in Brooklyn says many people in the U.S. now feel they identify more with Canada than their own country in the wake of the election.

"I'm not alone," said Chris Walsh, a native of New Hampshire married to a Canadian.

"The first thing people said to me when I went to walk my dog in the park this morning was: `We're moving to Canada.' People are very disillusioned, and Canada is looking pretty good right now."

A mock map of North America circulated on the Internet illustrating an expanded Canada. The lingering rump of pro-Democrat states — namely the Great Lakes area, and the east and west coasts — would be carved into a larger new country called the United States of Canada.

The rest of the continent was left alone in a new entity called, ``Jesusland.''

A gleeful Republican said, "Enjoy the Molson's while you wait an eternity for an imported doctor making the equivalent of minimum wage."

"They can pay high taxes for non-existent health care, non-existent military, and non-existent jobs. So go already. . . . be the first in line!" another said.

Prime Minister Paul Martin tossed his arms wide open today to aspiring immigrants from the U.S. But he joked they shouldn't expect preferential treatment just because they're neighbours.

"The fact is we are a country of immigrants and we're prepared to receive immigrants from anywhere. (But) I doubt very much if refugee status is the way that I would characterize it," he said.

The growing ideological gap between the neighbouring nations was perhaps best illustrated during Tuesday's election by the unanimous rejection of same-sex marriage in 11 state referendums.

By way of comparison, Canadian gays and lesbians have acquired the legal right to marry in six provinces and the federal government supports extending that benefit nationwide.

But one prominent American gay-rights advocate says the talk about moving to Canada is just that — talk.

"I don't think you're seeing people do it. It is certainly an expression of frustration you hear more often these days," said Evan Wolfson of Freedom to Marry.

"It's people saying, `Canada is on the right track. We're on the wrong track.' "

The number of U.S. immigrants to Canada has slowly dwindled to about 5,000 per year from a high of around 23,000 annually during the Vietnam war.

One Montreal immigration lawyer said he remains skeptical of a new influx even though his office has received several e-mail inquiries from Americans this week.

"I think at this stage it's just a backlash and a reaction by certain very fervent Democrats," said Colin Singer.

"My sense is there're more hype than there will actually be applications."

source:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...tacodalogin=yes

Rocco
THEY'RE COMING!

the end is NEAR!

~runs off and hides in the corner~
dEsidEL

remember .. this is the 'other' half ;)

DJ_Elyot
I wanna see that map that they're talking about... anyone got a link?
che
If all the democrats run away then the republicans will be a sure win forever :D
dEsidEL
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Elyot
I wanna see that map that they're talking about... anyone got a link?

hehe same here ..

United States of Canada vs. Jesusland LOL
bucky
Slag
quote:
Originally posted by bucky

ROFLMAO!
EvilDust
couldn't they do some sort of referendum to separate from the states? kinda like what quebec tried to do 10 years ago.

would be nice to get hawaii :)
maxtuh
No thanks, i dont need any more americans, i get my dose everyday of stupid.

I hate fuking yanks.

that article - NO DUH!!

jeez americans get stupider everday:D

bucky
quote:
Originally posted by maxtuh
No thanks, i dont need any more americans, i get my dose everyday of stupid.

I hate fuking yanks.

that article - NO DUH!!

jeez americans get stupider everday:D

You're thinking about all the americans in the red states though, you'd be getting us smart ones in the blue states!!!
E*Master
I knew this was going to happen. I hope they take their business with them i.e companies.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement