return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Winter Music Conference 2005

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
From BBC Radio 1: How to Throw a Horrible Party
View this Thread in Original format
chrismack
How to throw a horrible party: By BBC Radio 1.

Apparently this was the first part they ever threw, because I can't imagine anyone with any experience at all would do a worse job.

First: Hire 3 yahoos to manage the line for you, who don't have a ing clue what they're doing. Don't use a snake line or crowd management system, even though you are throwing a massive free party for thousands of people.

Force your guests to line up for over 3 hours to get in. Don't supply any food or water vendors for those in line.

Second: Allow the 3 s mentioned previously to only admit people who pay $20 to get into the free party. If they refuse, let them stand in line even longer while everyone who is willing to pay goes in first. (we stood in line for 3 hours 20 minutes, and only got in when the hundreds of people in line almost rioted, knocked security down and demanded to be let in... The s looked visibly shaken after this and let us in, because I think they understood they might be killed, people were so pissed.)

Third: Don't have any food available for a 22 hour party. Smart.

Fourth: Don't do any site prep. This includes something as simpel as taking down the set lists from the previous event that are still taped to the bars and washrooms. Avoid any effort to make it look like the party is actually planned.

Fifth: Most importantly, don't work on sound abatement or work with officials to ensure you don't get shut down at 7:00 pm. Everyone who has waited in line for 3 hours loves silence at a party...

Only moderately worse than after getting up and running again listening to Gabriel & Dresden through what sounded like a boom-box on stage because the main speakers had to be cut off.

What a ing waste of my time.

On a positive note, Judge Jules sat down and talked to us for 30 minutes. Of course all he talked about was what a ty party it was.
DarkAngel
Damn, suckx to read such a bad experience! :( I'm sorry man. Some people just naturally have their heads up their asses.
Konijn
yea -- we got to nikki beach around 5-6-ish only to find the aformentioned craziness. people were jumping fences, climbing through bushes and shrubs to get inside and ultimately paying security loads of money to let them in to a free event...

wank
DarkAngel
Disastrous, to say the least. I didn't even bother going into Nikki, knowing how crazy it would be. Had more fun outside getting high and drunk. :o
signde
we went early and had a good time. we had to wait in long line but it moved really fast.

james z was tearing the place apart before we left.

only bad note was the 53294329 sweaty less euro looking wankers inside.
Pete K
The line was definitely moving fast when we got there. It took us about 20 minutes to get. I had a great time despite how packed it was. We ran into Mr. Pink while leaving and a group of girls chasing after Oakey. Sucks that others had a horrible experience.
davedresden
in defense of radio 1, i think many of the problems with the nikki beach party were more the fault of the nikki beach club and the vendetta the miami police seem to have taken on this year to fight "noise" in one of the dirtiest, most crime ridden big cities in the usa.

it doesnt take a genius to figure out that with all the parties that were shut or in the case of nikki beach, told to lower the music to the point of a whisper, that miami do not want the winter music conference in their city anymore.

it's too bad, because i'm sure las vegas would love to take on this type of event, first because it's a popular convention spot to begin with and the clubs and bars run 24 hours.

personally for me, i thought radio 1 did a fantastic job creating a lineup that represented a wide variety of dance music that people want to hear.

-dave
tatgirl
How can the cops even make u to lower the music at 7pm? I dont get it! Even if you're throwing a house party here, u have til 11pm to quiet down! Miami has to sit down and look in the mirror (and look at the books) to see how much $$$ WMC brings in to their city. It attracts an international crowd of PEACEFUL partiers. If they drive it away, they'll be losing bazillions for local businesses.

Radio 1 has thrown parties there annually without such issues. Sure, at some point the line gets long if u arrive late, but it sounds like this yrs party had the highest attendance by far, judging by the sounds of the overcrowding. Definitely complaints should be directed to Nikki Beach Club's management.

Sounds like the bouncers made an unbelievable profit, at the cost of people's safety. :whip:

< Wonders if Ultra Fest had to turn down the volume today too...
Zenchowdah
quote:
Originally posted by davedresden
in defense of radio 1, i think many of the problems with the nikki beach party were more the fault of the nikki beach club and the vendetta the miami police seem to have taken on this year to fight "noise" in one of the dirtiest, most crime ridden big cities in the usa.

it doesnt take a genius to figure out that with all the parties that were shut or in the case of nikki beach, told to lower the music to the point of a whisper, that miami do not want the winter music conference in their city anymore.

it's too bad, because i'm sure las vegas would love to take on this type of event, first because it's a popular convention spot to begin with and the clubs and bars run 24 hours.

personally for me, i thought radio 1 did a fantastic job creating a lineup that represented a wide variety of dance music that people want to hear.

-dave

vegas could be fun :)
DaveT
quote:
Originally posted by davedresden

-dave

I would LOVE to see WMC happen in Vegas. Or in SoCal. There are plenty of big venues down there.

Or in SF just so I can save money, although the scene here is too for it. :)

Dave

verndogs
vegas! vegas! vegas! :tongue3 :crazy:
Tim_G
It needs to be moved to Vegas, for sure.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement