return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Computer won't turn on!!! (HELP)
View this Thread in Original format
CraveTheRave
Hey everyone,
Got a computer problem for those who know about such things. For the last couple weeks, my computer has been struggling to turn on, like the power source is about to go. Only way I could fix it is was to unplug it for a few hours and plug it back in and it would start. A few days ago, I did this and the computer powers up, but NOTHING LOADS! I don't even mean Windows doesn't load, the screen to start in safe mode doesn't come up, nothing comes up. You know the sounds of your computer starting up? You can hear the hard drive being accessed to load up the comp, but not on mine.

Anyone know what this could be? Does replacing the power source possibly solve this problem or does it go deeper than that?

Thanks,
Terry
jonze234
how are you posting this if your computer doesnt work?
basd
Should be either the power source or your mainboard. Try another power source from a different PC (can't recall whether they're easily swappable though, as in possibility of different specs resulting in PC toast), if that doesn't help, your mainboard is fubar.
igottaknow
Probably a new psu, but they're a pain to install. If you don't know how to do it yourself and its an old pc, then you'd be better off getting a new barebones pc for around $300. Replacing components based on a guess is a hit or miss method that could be time consuming and expensive.
kid nyce
when your psu is about to go, you should of changed it instantly. Usually you can tell by the fan struggling (doesn't keep the psu cool). Sometimes it might even send an out of phase signal to the mobo causing your mobo to fry. Chances are if your computer is not booting (even with a weak psu) your mobo is fried. Also caused by a failing psu. My suggestion is to run a psu from another machine and if it doesn't boot up then ur mobo is shot.

if you haven't built a computer before, i'd suggest you consult with someone who has. it's an easy process, but damn hard if you have the slightest clue as to what to do. good luck have fun
CraveTheRave
quote:
Originally posted by jonze234

Work computer.

So if it is not the powersource and it is the motherboard that is toast, then that requires replacing that entire thing ie. processor, memory etc? That's the last thing I want to happen, but would my hard drives still be intact as I have tons of stuff on them?

Thanks for all the help.
kid nyce
quote:
Originally posted by CraveTheRave
Work computer.

So if it is not the powersource and it is the motherboard that is toast, then that requires replacing that entire thing ie. processor, memory etc? That's the last thing I want to happen, but would my hard drives still be intact as I have tons of stuff on them?

Thanks for all the help.

Well if the mobo is toast, you might have to reinstall the OS. Which means anything on the desktop or my docs might be shot. Usually any data that is mined outside of the OS (ie: in the C:Drive Folder Structure) you should be able to retrieve. A good trick is to find another computer that is working, plug in the HDs into that computer and rip all the stuff you want out of the HDs and burn to CD or back up accordingly and then wipe the hd clean and put it back into the old computer. You'll have a fresh install of an OS on a fresh MOBO and PSU and then just load all the data types back into the HDs. It's good to back up once in a while, also heavily recommended to keep OS/Application separate from personal data (mp3s, videos, pictures, etc), and maybe I'm just a bit anal about things, but I like keeping the installs (.exe) of downloaded programs that I currently run on my computer. It helps me get back to where I want to be in terms of programs I am using on my machine.
Mr. Pink
quote:
Originally posted by jonze234

lol i was about to post the same:stongue:
igottaknow
quote:
Originally posted by CraveTheRave
would my hard drives still be intact as I have tons of stuff on them?

add the old drive to your new system or use the backup that you made. you made a backup right? :eek:
smokeape
Power supply. Don't listen to the other fools out here.
I've had to replace several in my lifetime.

Go to a site, find the one you need, order it, and get it in a day or two. Usually costs in $50 range unless you have something exotic.

No big deal.

:D
[[[smoke]]]

_Nut_
quote:
Originally posted by smokeape
Power supply. Don't listen to the other fools out here.
I've had to replace several in my lifetime.

Go to a site, find the one you need, order it, and get it in a day or two. Usually costs in $50 range unless you have something exotic.

No big deal.

:D
[[[smoke]]]

Exactly. Mine went belly up 2 weeks ago. Same situation and the outcome was that the puter is operational again
sw1
Is the switch on the power supply turned on? (had to ask) Do any of the lights come on? Can you open the CD or DVD drive tray? If no, then it's probably your power supply. You can pick one up at your local computer store for less than $50, or at your local chain store with a better return policy for under $100.

If some lights come on and the tray opens, then it could be your motherboard. You should get the computer store to check it out.

Does your BIOS display appear at startup? If yes, then it could be your hard drive or connections or operating system.

Is there a floppy disk in your floppy drive? Remove it. It doesn't have an operating system on it.

Hopefully it's just the power supply. They're quicker to replace than a motherboard. If it's your motherboard, you may have trouble finding the same board. The computer store can find a similar replacement but the motherboard drivers will be totally different, and you'll end up re-installing your operating system and all your applications. You have a separate partition on your hard drive for your data, right?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement