return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Best "NON-EDM" Album?
View this Thread in Original format
Jackson
What are some of your favourite Non-EDM Albums?
Some of my favourites:
Damien Rice - O
Jack Johnson - In between dreams
Jin presents the Emmcees - Properganda
REM - The Best of

Really loving Damien Rice at the moment, especially Blowers Daughter...Amazing song.
lücid
best "ever" would be tough... but in the last year i'd say the best non-EDM album is Keane's 'Hopes & Fears'
medinaM5
radiohead - ok computer
Protege
Common's 'Be' and, if you consider Jamiroquai non edm, their new 'Dynamite' were my favs of the year.
weymouth
Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Beatles - White Album
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band
Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin IV
The Eagles - Greatest Hits, Live
Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
AC/DC - Back in Black

Close contenders for me:

Def Leppard - Hysteria
The Beatles - Abby Road
Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin II
Dazed and Confused Soundtrack
DarkFall01
I think I've posted these before, but my all time favorites are:

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt.2
Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
jonSun
quote:
Originally posted by medinaM5
radiohead - ok computer

WERD

And Marilyn Manson Mechanical Animals Along with Korn- Follow the Leader & Life is Peachy.
stren
tool - aenima
tool - lateralus
a perfect circle
audioslave
DJ RJT
Talib Kweli & DJ Hi Tek - Reflection Eternal

I can't listen to just one track on this disc, I have to listen start to finish to the whole thing every time I listen to it, arguably, IMO, the greatest hip hop album of all time.

Phish - Billy Breathes & Rift

Two "concept" albums that again, I have to listen to all the way through every time I hear them. Bill Breathes is definitely great bedtime music, and the dreams theme to Rift is great. I'm a HUGE Phish fan (Have a Phish tattoo, did two tours, pretty much obsessive for a while), and out of everything I've ever heard them do, live or studio, I'd say I could make a strong argument as to why Billy Breathes is the greatest thing they've ever done.

Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street

Come on... I was once quite hipped out... This album kills... :p

A Tribe Called Quest - The Love Movement & Beats Rhymes & Life

If you like chill hip hop with a bit of jazzy vibe and you haven't listened to ATCQ yet, you're missing out. Beats Rhymes & Life is a bit more sample heavy along the lines of DJ Premiere style productions, The Love Movement is just pure sex on wax.

Beck - Sea Change

I love this album, it's comforted me in my times of most crackiness. I have one very vivid memory in particular of listening to this in bed around 10 in the morning after a certain Hernan/Sharam/Oakey show this summer... ;)

Gang Starr - Full Clip: A Decade of Gang Starr

DJ Premiere might be the all time greatest producer in the history of hip hop, Guru's flow is sick. Again, a must if you're into hip hop at all.

John Scofield w/ MMW - A Go Go

Straight chill jazz, another album that after a really long night of pure EDM crackiness has really helped me and friends come home and just chill out, listen to some mellow ass jazz, smoke bowls, and come down.

MMW - Combustication, The Dropper, and End of the World Party

Combustication and The Dropper are pure Jazz trio goodness, with Combustication having some pretty interesting contemporary collaborations on it. Everyone who is on TA should listen to "End of the World Party" just for the fact that it's soooooooo electronically influenced. MMW are truly phenomenal, and will definitely make Jazz accessible to those of you who aren't familiar.

Pearl Jam - Vs. and Vitalogy

Another band I'm a huge fan of, Vs. is a legendary album that a lot of people seem to have missed with great tracks like Dissident and Daughter. Vitalogy is just a weird and interesting album for them, but I love it. They also put on a better live show than pretty much any band I've ever seen. Interesting side note: The time I freaked ou on 2c-T-7 was at a PJ show :p Also, another band that I have a tattoo of.

And last, but certainly not least...

The Talking Heads - Remain in the Light

Probably one of the single greatest albums of all time, it's definitely in my top 5, if not my favorite album of all time. it just flows incredibly well, and the weird funk of the Talking Heads is just something I can never get enough of. Born Under Punches is pure, unadulterated, dirty funk.

I also want to highly reccommend The Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense, just because it's a great live album, and it has a great version of my favorite TH track "Naive Melody (This must be the place.)

Well, that was fun for me... I really hope that at least some of you decide to check out some new tunes you might not have heard before, or a genre that you wouldn't have checked out... And if any of you want any more info, or some help with "experiencing" this music, shoot me a pm...

Cheers,

RJT
Floorfiller

notice the sweater? :p

DJ RJT
quote:
Originally posted by Floorfiller

Oh , I also want to add Bjork's live album and "Glin Glo" to that list...
Jackson
quote:
Originally posted by Floorfiller

Michael Jackson???

:wtf:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement