return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
moral question for the cor
View this Thread in Original format
BTG
oh great cor, i seek your wisdom once again.

i seem to be in a predicament.

i just started a new job, and havn't received payment yet. i am also bored out of my skull (not literally, dont worry), and i have no weed money.

my brother, who is at work left his bank card behind, and he has endless amounts of money in there.

my question is this:

is it wrong to take money from your little brother, when he doesn't know about it, even though i'll pay him back more than what i take out (i always do, not because he charges intrest..but as a thank you)...is this wrong?
LieberDJ
you should pay him back, he is your younger brother. he looks up to you.. imagine what h'ell do to your girlfriend or your wife even
stevieboy32808
quote:
Originally posted by LieberDJ
you should pay him back, he is your younger brother. he looks up to you.. imagine what h'ell do to your girlfriend or your wife even

OMG is that Giorgio Moroder in your avatar???

By the way, it's not wrong since you're paying him with interest. Just leave enough money in there for accidental purposes.
kadomony
wisdom + cor= :wtf: :conf:
LieberDJ
quote:
Originally posted by stevieboy32808
OMG is that Giorgio Moroder in your avatar???

yes.. he was quite the sensation back in the day
Silky Johnson
Leave an I.O.U. and also tell him immediately next time you see him that you "borrowed" some of his money, and that you will pay it back.
Omega_Blue
well,

a utilitarian would say that you should do whatever creates the most happiness... so.... taking the money and paying him back would make both parties happy... DO IT.

ethical egoists say that we all behave and act to help ourselves over other people. taking his money will help you out, so.... DO IT.

Kantian ethics would tell you that it doesn't matter what the conclusions of your actions are, as long as you possess good will in performing the action. Your will is good (you wanna get high) and you're gonna pay him back... so as long as you tell him the truth, you should... DO IT.

Socrates, due to his notion of virtue ethics, would tell you not to take the money, because stealing from your brother (regardless on if you're going to pay it back) is unvirtuous...

but socrates anyways... so... DO IT.

sorry, i got an ethics exam on monday :(
Silky Johnson
quote:
Originally posted by Omega_Blue
well,

a utilitarian would say that you should do whatever creates the most happiness... so.... taking the money and paying him back would make both parties happy... DO IT.

ethical egoists say that we all behave and act to help ourselves over other people. taking his money will help you out, so.... DO IT.

Kantian ethics would tell you that it doesn't matter what the conclusions of your actions are, as long as you possess good will in performing the action. Your will is good (you wanna get high) and you're gonna pay him back... so as long as you tell him the truth, you should... DO IT.

Socrates, due to his notion of virtue ethics, would tell you not to take the money, because stealing from your brother (regardless on if you're going to pay it back) is unvirtuous...

but socrates anyways... so... DO IT.

sorry, i got an ethics exam on monday :(

Hey nice. I think I'd definitely like to study ethics.
Omega_Blue
quote:
Originally posted by jennypie
Hey nice. I think I'd definitely like to study ethics.

it's probably one of my favorite classes fo sho. I <3 philosophy

in the end, you can pretty much justify any action that you do by spewing out somebody's theory on morality...
Silky Johnson
quote:
it's probably one of my favorite classes fo sho. I <3 philosophy

in the end, you can pretty much justify any action that you do by spewing out somebody's theory on morality...

No doubt. But I still prefer to justify my actions by taking responsibility for them.

Omega_Blue
quote:
Originally posted by jennypie
No doubt. But I still prefer to justify my actions by taking responsibility for them.

well.....

a "hard" determinist would say that all of our actions are the result of outside forces (such as the environment). For example, the reason I'm on TA isn't because I choose to be, it's because of the "force" that I'm bored. it couldn't be any other way. And if I told myself, "HA! I'm going to log off of TA just to prove that I'm not "forced" to be logged on" it would just be proving determinism... the outside force is myself excercising my apparent "free will" to not be on TA.

do you believe in God? According to the bible, God has a plan for us- he knows what we're going to do before we do it, five minutes from now, five years from now. Therefore, we are pre-determined to be a certain way. SO... how can we be morally responsible for our actions, if they are pre-determined for us??
stevieboy32808
quote:
well.....

a "hard" determinist would say that all of our actions are the result of outside forces (such as the environment).

You mean peer pressure. I'm sure you're old enough to make your own decisions.
quote:
For example, the reason I'm on TA isn't because I choose to be, it's because of the "force" that I'm bored. it couldn't be any other way. And if I told myself, "HA! I'm going to log off of TA just to prove that I'm not "forced" to be logged on" it would just be proving determinism... the outside force is myself excercising my apparent "free will" to not be on TA.

wouldn't you say you are creating the boredom for yourself?
quote:
do you believe in God? According to the bible, God has a plan for us- he knows what we're going to do before we do it, five minutes from now, five years from now. Therefore, we are pre-determined to be a certain way. SO... how can we be morally responsible for our actions, if they are pre-determined for us??

In other words destiny or fate. I don't believe in destiny or fate, but I do believe in God. Kind of oxymoronic if you ask me?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement